It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-mas is 98 days away and stores don't have enough workers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
www.wsj.com...
"Out of Stock This Holiday Season: Store Workers"

I pretty much buy Christmas gifts year round. For those that wait they might be disappointed. I'm going to do everything I can to
avoid shopping in December!
Last year I was at a big department store trying to buy some shoes. There were at least ten other folks with me waiting,
there was no one to check us out. I ended up leaving and I'm sure some others did too.

No workers - no sales
I do think these places are on the right track. Offer more money, offer other perks. The sad thing is we know these are just seasonal jobs and that's not what most people need or want. The other thing is that retail workers get the brunt of crabby holiday shoppers. A lot of people have lost all self respect and make a complete asshat of themselves in public. They treat retail workers like slaves and restaurant workers like servants. Somehow, growing up I don't remember this type of thing happening much. There was a certain decorum. We were all poor back then, and it was a treat to go out anywhere, and we treated everyone with respect.

It will be interesting to see how Amazon handles all the deliveries. It seems each year it gets worse and worse. They are contracting out their delivery services and from the fine print it doesn't seem like a good gig to me.
www.cbsnews.com...
Seriously, the most entertaining thing is to go on facebook the day after Xmas and go to Amazon's FB page and read thousands of irate comment after irate comment.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Dont worry.
All the seats workers losing their jobs will fill the empty spaces

Fricken auto correct...

Sears not seats
edit on 18-9-2018 by Bluntone22 because: Stupid auto correct

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Dont worry.
All the seats workers losing their jobs will fill the empty spaces

What are "seats workers"?

I've read your comment 3 times and i can't figure it out.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'm prepping my Louisville Slugger by wrapping barbed wire around the head so I can seal-club anyone who gets in the way of me trying to obtain more cheap, unnecessary, consumerist junk.

I will Negan your friggin noggin if you get in my way.

edit on 18-9-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

www.youtube.com...

You are the guy at :16 !!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

No one died, so not me.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I was under the impression that Santa and his midgets handled all this stuff?

This may explain why I never get anything anymore. F you Santa, you lazy lying piece of poop.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
When my kids were young, Christmas shopping went like this.....

March: What do you REALLY want for Christmas ?
I dunno.

May: What do you REALLY want for Christmas ?
I dunno

September : What do you REALLY want for Christmas ?
I dunno

December 23 : OH MY GOD I HAVE TO HAVE ( insert hard to find gift )

Now that they're a bit older ....

What do you REALLY want for Christmas ?
Money.
Cool, here's a check, Merry Christmas.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

It all started with that evil Cabbage patch kid!

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
When my kids were young, Christmas shopping went like this.....

March: What do you REALLY want for Christmas ?
I dunno.

May: What do you REALLY want for Christmas ?
I dunno

September : What do you REALLY want for Christmas ?
I dunno

December 23 : OH MY GOD I HAVE TO HAVE ( insert hard to find gift )

Now that they're a bit older ....

What do you REALLY want for Christmas ?
Money.
Cool, here's a check, Merry Christmas.

Dude I have received the same gift from my grandmother on my dads side for 30 years. 20 bucks lol. I find it endearing but it is also funny. Last year she forgot she had already sent me the card and sent another. So I used all the money plus a little extra and sent her another item from 1800flowers.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

I thought everyone shopped online now? Even the kids?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Worked retail last year around the Christmas season and it wasn’t sooo bad, aside from customers constantly asking me (a regular floor associate) for better deals, discounts... or just yelling at me for being a woman selling lawnmowers & shovels. I was also, somehow, waitressing during the season, too. Customers left measly tips ($5 on a $80 - and I must say I’m a pretty damned good waitress) or were rude about the wait during a huge dinner rush, as if any other restaurant in the touristy town I work in wasn’t full to capacity.

Paid like #, treated like #.

No one wants to work during the holidays
The angriest time of year in retail and food service... All that money ends up in a therapists hands anyway

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Sotomar

I was a waitress during my younger years. Seriously the worst job i've done.
After that I would never worked another job that relied on the generosity of others, because let's face it
people are damn cheap. Some are plain ignorant, they think 2 bucks is a big deal. Very few people tip 20%, or even 15%, but I can say when I go out it is very rare that I don't, since i've been in those shoes!
What is funny, the places that I go on a regular basis the waitresses give me a discount, and often some free food. So that big tip almost always pays for itself, cheap people don't realize that.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
They just don't pay enough to support living in a $700 per month apartment with basic needs in the slums.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Well Trump has just decided to raise tariffs with China just in time for the x-mas season. So now the stores without employees don't have to worry about selling things either. WaPo is even flipping the script and accusing the Trump GOP of the conspiracy that Fox News wastes everyone's time with on a yearly basis thanks to these tariffs. The War on Christmas.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I don't even like shopping during the off-Christmas season. Too many people stinking everything up. I can't even imagine doing it during the Christmas rush. Restaurants are harder to avoid. The trick is to always eat off the beaten path: mom and pop, non-chain, etc.

Anyway, hope all this retail angst doesn't tank the super-fake "economy." *chuckle*

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

So true. my baseline is about 25 percent to help offset the rest of the walking dead. I'll go higher when eating alone, often upwards of 45-50 percent.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
avoid the headache... celebrate your christmas in july!!!
of include it with your school shopping...
whatever.. but dang, I tend to avoid doing anything but grocery shopping around the christmas holiday.
it isn't worth the aggravation.

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

link   
The good thing is if they increase wages then there will be a point where people want the jobs. This is how things are SUPPOSED to work without Government interference and fake minimum wages.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join