It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump is going to be hitting us all up via text next week

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: vinifalou

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: TinySickTears

delete it without reading it.
Thats an opt out. He cant make you read it.

Really. This is a whole new level of triggered.

Maybe if a terrorist attack happens near you and you do not see the alert because you're a level 10 Trump hater, you'd change your mind.

If an attack happened anywhere near any Joe Q Public, they're going to hear about it before their phones buzz, FFS. Look at how fast ish travels via word-of-mouth thanks to Twatter and Fakebook already, word-of-mouth is always faster than official messages are.

Wanna get my attention in a jiffy? Sound the tornado sirens, that will get my attention immediately because it's localized and damn well could impact me real quickly. Anything else, especially via phone messages, is meh, I don't rely on my phone for jack s#. It's for calls, and when need be it, texting. That's IT.

That’s a lot of assumptions you made there, huh.

No one is saying the texts will replace the current emergency systems, man. It’s just another channel for people to get emergency messages. I’m trying to see what’s the problem on this but honestly all I can think is some people will get triggered on everything that has Trumps finger in it.

No matter if it’s good or bad for them.

This partisan sheesh will get you guys in trouble one day.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Ive been reading rumors online about the 17th. Truth be told.

(post by Prene removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
This is not a big deal, sorry. It took three years to implement because of what ignorant_ape posted: testing, compatibility, access restrictions, etc. An alert system that malfunctions can be worse than no alert system at all.

It's really no different than the tornado sirens we have around here. Ever hear one? A wailing banshee that will make you jump straight to the ceiling at night. So what's the choice? Not use the sirens because they're aggravating and let people die, or have aggravated living people?

More than likely, this will also be targeted to people who are within a certain area... no real sense in letting someone know there is a terrorist attack in Los Angeles, when they are in Alabama. In that respect, it would be one of the least intrusive but most effective methods of emergency communication imaginable.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

bummer we cant opt out.

Sure ya can. Stick with a landline.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

bummer we cant opt out.

why do that?

lets go back to ham radio and morse cose

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Remember to hit "reply."

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
It's really no different than the tornado sirens we have around here. Ever hear one? A wailing banshee that will make you jump straight to the ceiling at night. So what's the choice? Not use the sirens because they're aggravating and let people die, or have aggravated living people?

It's incredibly funny you bring this up TRN. Back about 6 years ago, I was doing some contract work for a friend of mine who owns a wholesale central station monitoring center. While he monitored ALL alarm system types and code formats, his love and specialty was in two-way voice systems that his own sister company developed.

Long story short, (which regrettably he never took me up on) I developed a hardware interface for him that actively monitored NOAA, NWS, and UNISYS systems scanning for rotation, supercells and TVS signature data as an EWS (early warning system) that would use the built in functionality of their own two-way voice systems and market them specifically to the Tornado Alley and like type areas. Everyone knows that the worst tornados have this propensity for developing in the overnight hours when people are most vulnerable, and while the sirens are immense and loud, having something immense and loud right inside your home based on actual accrual data and models would even wake up the hard of hearing elderly.

Now that I've completely derailed the topic, ummm yeah...damn those amber alerts lol
edit on 16-9-2018 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

bummer we cant opt out.

why do that?

lets go back to ham radio and morse cose

LOL im fine with that, I have and know both

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

No one is saying the texts will replace the current emergency systems, man. It’s just another channel for people to get emergency messages.

But why would it be necessary for the president to be the one making an alert? We have local officials who are better informed. We have agencies like NOAA and USGS that have real time access to the data. We have first responders on the scene. What does someone sitting in Washington or playing golf in Florida have to contribute... outside of political spin. Oh, that's it... control of the narrative.

(post by vinifalou removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

That's pretty awesome! Too bad he didn't press onward with the project.

I'll make one correction, though: the largest and most destructive tornadoes form late afternoon/early evening when the maximum heat and instability exist. The most dangerous form at night, because people are sleeping and their first idea that anything is happening is their home flying apart around them. That and the fact it's much harder to see where the threat is coming from...

I know I have been awoken in the middle of the night to the sound of a thousand freight trains over my head before. Luckily, it skipped over us since we live on the east face of a small mountain, coming back down in my neighbor's back yard; at the time, though, all I could do was lie there and hope it was still in the air.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

But why would it be necessary for the president to be the one making an alert? We have local officials who are better informed. We have agencies like NOAA and USGS that have real time access to the data. We have first responders on the scene.

That's exactly why. There needs to be a central hub that gathers information from all of these and correlates it to assess actual risk. I highly doubt it will be Donald J. Trump sending the alerts; it will be someone in the administration charged with the task of monitoring the conditions on the ground using the agencies you mentioned. The messages may say "from Donald Trump," but I promise you the President is not going to be typing them out himself. His administration is only acting as a communications network.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: vinifalou

No one is saying the texts will replace the current emergency systems, man. It’s just another channel for people to get emergency messages.

But why would it be necessary for the president to be the one making an alert? We have local officials who are better informed. We have agencies like NOAA and USGS that have real time access to the data. We have first responders on the scene. What does someone sitting in Washington or playing golf in Florida have to contribute... outside of political spin. Oh, that's it... control of the narrative.

Well, I don’t know why. But you can send your complaints to Obama’s office. If you’re still mad.

The wireless emergency alerts (WEA) system was first approved by Congress in 2015 and restricts usage of the system to instances of “a natural disaster, act of terrorism, or other man-made disaster or threat to public safety.

gizmodo

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

a natural disaster, act of terrorism, or other man-made disaster or threat to public safety.

gee according to trump, our media are enemies of the state.
and we all know how often he's tweeting about them.
I hope our gov't knows that if I start getting stupid alerts 3 or 4 in the morning, the cell phone is going and well, those gov't agencies that insist that they have my phone number along with everyone else will be sol..
this is like giving the keys to the candy store to a two year old..
we all know that trump is gonna abuse his new toy!!

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

gee according to trump, our media are enemies of the state.

Respectfully, I have to correct you. President Trump says fake news is the enemy. Many times he has clarified it in his speeches.....not ALL news media, but FAKE NEWS (liars, distortion and misinformation purveyors).

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I actually think that is pretty interesting.

Kinda surprised he is the first to take this step.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

well, just as respectfully....
he can just avoid sending that fake news masked as emergency alerts to my phone, thank you...
otherwise, I'm not kidding, the phone will be thrown in the nearby creek and all those poor, poor telemarketers, political pollsters and every one else will lose out.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: DJW001

But why would it be necessary for the president to be the one making an alert? We have local officials who are better informed. We have agencies like NOAA and USGS that have real time access to the data. We have first responders on the scene.

That's exactly why. There needs to be a central hub that gathers information from all of these and correlates it to assess actual risk. I highly doubt it will be Donald J. Trump sending the alerts; it will be someone in the administration charged with the task of monitoring the conditions on the ground using the agencies you mentioned. The messages may say "from Donald Trump," but I promise you the President is not going to be typing them out himself. His administration is only acting as a communications network.

TheRedneck

So you are admitting that Trump is surrounded by people who stand between the president and the people?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join