It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the probable demise of " iridium flare watching "

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
source

due to the " block one " constelation of irridium comms sataleties - coming to the end of thier usefull life - and being replaced by a new generation of re-designed satalite , it is likley that " iridium flares " - will become far less "predictable " and far rarer

all good things must end i guess - they are a fun phenonemon - and a very useful teaching tool - i shall miss them if they fade away

for people who are wondering what the hell i is talking about :

wiki primer

TL : DR - iridum comms satelites are a set of satelites with a very predictable orbit anf HUGE solar panels - that havve a very good chance of reflecting light so it can be seen by ground observers when the sun is at certain angles - these variables are well known and understood - and the orbital data freely available online - so if you follow the instructions there is a good chance you will be rewarded

example

farewell iridium flares

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Someone’s a Scott Manley fan....

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

I can't speak for Mr. Ape, but I saw that information about the end of Iridium flares on the Heavens Above Website a while ago (a few months ago, maybe?), which was before Scott Manley' latest video on the subject, which it seems was published a few days ago.

Having said that, I am in fact a fan of Scott Manley's videos.

EDIT TO ADD: ignorant_ape's OP has a link to Heavens Above, which includes another link to the following page set up by Iridium themselves to commemorate the coming end of Iridium Flares. Here is a direct link to that page:

#flarewell

edit on 12/9/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
iridum comms satelites are a set of satelites with a very predictable orbit anf HUGE solar panels

I don´t consider solar panels the size of roughly three baking trays huge... A single PV-module on my roof is bigger than the two combined. And those are standard sized modules (1.6m * 1m)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

I can't speak for Mr. Ape, but I saw that information about the end of Iridium flares on the Heavens Above Website a while ago (a few months ago, maybe?), which was before Scott Manley' latest video on the subject, which it seems was published a few days ago.

Having said that, I am in fact a fan of Scott Manley's videos.

EDIT TO ADD: ignorant_ape's OP has a link to Heavens Above, which includes another link to the following page set up by Iridium themselves to commemorate the coming end of Iridium Flares. Here is a direct link to that page:

#flarewell

I was just giving my friend the monkey a hard time, and who doesn’t like Manley? He has the most soothing voice known to man!

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Ending this year
www.skyatnightmagazine.com...

It's a sad goodbye, I enjoyed observing them. Hopefully gonna catch a few more before the end.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
good ridance

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord
good ridance

Salty from all the UFO reports from the flares?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

we don't need another source of false UFO reports

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Granted just giving ya a hard time.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Used to be a great gimmick at outdoor BBQs, I'd have the evening flare schedule memorized, then as the time approached I'd stand up, look skyward, start muttering, "I'm getting a feeling.... they're calling me.... hello, space brothers, do you hear me?...' Could have started several new religions.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg

Used to be a great gimmick at outdoor BBQs, I'd have the evening flare schedule memorized, then as the time approached I'd stand up, look skyward, start muttering, "I'm getting a feeling.... they're calling me.... hello, space brothers, do you hear me?...' Could have started several new religions.

More than LRH had to start his little one....

new topics

top topics

join