It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGoondockSaint

There wouldn't even really need to be any actual terrorists either.
The fbi seems rather adept at creating their own terrorist threats to save us from.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

The fbi seems rather adept at creating their own terrorist threats to save us from.

Example?

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
So they were not shutting down but passing on to new management. They are even going to " Update and upgrade the telescope."

This award supports science and operations of the DST for a period of 24 months bridging the gap between the departure of the NSO at the end of 2017 and the development of the NMSU-led Sunspot Solar Observatory Consortium (SSOC) as the primary operator beyon

The development of the SSOC will depend on maintaining the telescope and its instrument suite, transferring critical knowledge, and reducing areas of identified risks. As the SSOC develops, its members will be provided with dedicated DST time in accordance with the member?s level of participation. During the bridge period covered by this proposal, the PIs will conduct a program of synoptic science concentrating on four key areas of interest:
(1) solar filament magnetic field structure,
(2) solar flare energy budgets,
(3) quiet Sun magnetic canopy, and
(4) solar prominence instabilities. In order to deliver the proposed synoptic science, specific knowledge of the facility will be transferred during the transition period overlapping the final year of NSO at Sunspot and the first year of SSOC operations.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maroboduus

Example?

I guess I can look them up for you if need be, but I'm thinking mostly of several instances where they have had undercover agents basicly goading idiots into planning attacks.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
So they were not shutting down but passing on to new management. They are even going to " Update and upgrade the telescope."

This award supports science and operations of the DST for a period of 24 months bridging the gap between the departure of the NSO at the end of 2017 and the development of the NMSU-led Sunspot Solar Observatory Consortium (SSOC) as the primary operator beyon

The development of the SSOC will depend on maintaining the telescope and its instrument suite, transferring critical knowledge, and reducing areas of identified risks. As the SSOC develops, its members will be provided with dedicated DST time in accordance with the member?s level of participation. During the bridge period covered by this proposal, the PIs will conduct a program of synoptic science concentrating on four key areas of interest:
(1) solar filament magnetic field structure,
(2) solar flare energy budgets,
(3) quiet Sun magnetic canopy, and
(4) solar prominence instabilities. In order to deliver the proposed synoptic science, specific knowledge of the facility will be transferred during the transition period overlapping the final year of NSO at Sunspot and the first year of SSOC operations.

Where is the ribbon and bow?

Seems like things are being buttoned up nicely.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trillium

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Seek Q drops for 31st August 2018.

P
More like here
check post 2012 to 2008
Here

Those have literally nothing to do with this whatsoever. Get a grip on reality, and stop posting inane nonsense.
edit on 10-9-2018 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maroboduus

Example?

I guess I can look them up for you if need be, but I'm thinking mostly of several instances where they have had undercover agents basicly goading idiots into planning attacks.

Yes, that has certainly happened, but that's entirely different than what you're suggesting.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Here’s a calendar of events involving the observatory. Of note, on September 7th, their regularly scheduled talk on Fridays was either left vacant or cancelled (note also the difference this upcoming Friday for a similar event with no host):

astronomy.nmsu.edu...

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Update on kvia news out of El Paso. Nothing new yet.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine

originally posted by: zenartist
It was stated the scope sits on many tons of mercury .. could a large or dirty bomb create a large cloud of mercury gas and drift and contaminate a large area ?

From what I've found, the telescope is supported by the mercury being contained in a sort of fluid bearing from the top. Creating a frictionless movement. Or very close.
The bottom is 221 feet below ground coming to an almost point. At the 221 foot mark is a sump pump.

If the system failed and pumped mercury out of the sump and onto the ground, that would cause an evacuation.

Sigh... yes, an evacuation with hazmat gear and safety precautions and the evacuees being informed of the risk and probably sent to the hospital. Not a silent evacuation with no hazmat or chemical gear and nobody being told anything.
Try, oh i dont know.... actually thinking things through before you post. The mercury thing was already suggested and discussed multiple times in this thread...

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Do you have a link so I can read it?

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Do you have a link so I can read it?

Sorry that was in reply to Fiscal using their link sometimes my response leaves that off for some reason even when I try again.

www.nsf.gov...

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Thinking reasonably here... What would terrorists want with a solar observatory? I mean in today's world I wouldn't put anything past an alleged terrorist cell but this place really wouldnt have any benefits for someone wanting to do large-scale damage Right? Unless the place has alterior capabilities not known to the immediate public.. But even then, if that were the case then why was security allegedly very low? If there were anything on site that could be weopnized or used in that way, given the way we go overboard protecting other places that might have that capability, i would think security would have been a lot more steict to begin with. How does one weoponize a telescope? Lol idk... That just seems as crazy as spotting a hidden planet or something to me. Does seem like an appropriate "cover story" for something else, but usually cover storys are cooked up before an incident if its preplanned and not slowly released days after the public is intrigued.

Idk my vote is still out this whole situation is just so.... Bizarre.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: itswhatev

Bizarre indeed, prob the most interesting thing going on around here in quite awhile.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I find the timing to be interesting. Especially the amendment, though I’m not sure what the amendment listed is, doesn’t seem to be any easily accessible information on that. But I’d say you’re correct, looks like the facility was changing hands—that being said, I don’t think that would necessitate FBI or USPS involvement.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fiscal

I find the timing to be interesting. Especially the amendment, though I’m not sure what the amendment listed is, doesn’t seem to be any easily accessible information on that. But I’d say you’re correct, looks like the facility was changing hands—that being said, I don’t think that would necessitate FBI or USPS involvement.

It looks like the amendments is just regular updates of time and money

The transition of operations of the NSF's Dunn Solar Telescope from the National Solar Observatory to the Sunspot Solar Observatory Consortium

"Initial Amendment Date: September 16, 2016
divider line
Latest Amendment Date: September 7, 2018
divider line
Award Number: 1649052
divider line
Award Instrument: Continuing grant
Start Date: September 15, 2016
divider line
End Date: August 31, 2019 (Estimated)
divider line
Awarded Amount to Date: $1,191,994.00"

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Someone on 4 Chan is either reading this thread or found something very similar to my theory.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Yup, this is an anon using your idea as fodder for their post there. Way too similar to be coincidental.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
And on the face book thread I'm reading someone claimed their local fox station ran a breaking news story that a terrorist cell and dead bodies were discovered in sunspot NM.

I can't find anything online to back that up yet though.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I've read 10 pages of this great thread and I'm wondering if anyone posted about Holloman Air Force Base being @20 miles away. President Eisenhower supposedly had three meetings with extraterrestrials there back in the mid-50's. Also, in 1964, a UFO landed on the base...seems to be a popular spot for ET visits:

Through the years, there have been more reports of UFO landings at Holloman AFB. Documentaries have mentioned Holloman AFB as the site of alien landings. A Documentary Narrated By The Legendary Rod Serling, “UFO’s: Past, Present and Future,” was produced in 1974. It has a segment on UFO landings at Holloman AFB and the 1955 meeting with Eisenhower. The documentary was nominated for a Golden Globe award as the best documentary of the year. A later documentary, released in 1976, “UFOS: It Has Begun,” also referenced Holloman AFB and the landings that have occurred there.

www.gaia.com...

EVACUATION? FBI? BLACKHAWK HELICOPTER?

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join