It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McConnell Airbase (Wichita) prepares for KC 46 tanker operations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
News article reports that McConnell Airbase in Wichita KS is preparing to support operations of the Air Force new tanker aircraft, the KC 46
by hiring support personnel

www.ksn.com...

Question - is the Boeing KC 46 debugged yet ?? Know been working for years trying to get it ready

Zaphod can probably clarify this - don't you need to be in the air force to operate and work on a military piece of equipmen t

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

No. Dyncorp does most of the A-10 work at Davis-Monthan and they're civilians. The military has a huge civilian employee list. Most of the workers at the various Depots are civilians.

As far as the plane goes, they have two of the three type certificates, and the third is expected within a couple of months. They're prepared to deliver the first aircraft, probably next month.
edit on 9/5/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Oops.
edit on 9/5/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yep, in the Air Force , I knew the plane vendors had to do the critical work....we enlisted boys just turn the screws....maybe bench test

Felt lucky to get to be so close though....like at midnite sitting in a FB 111F with my buddy showing me the master switch so we could fire up the attack radar......so fun

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Do they still fly B-1's out of McConnell? I remember as a kid going to air shows up there and seeing all the B-1's. Probably why its my favorite bomber. lol

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: stupidusernamehere

Ellsworth and Dyess. McConnell is the primary training base for tankers now.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   

I didn't know it was the primary training base. I do seem to recall them bringing in KC-135's back in the day, so it makes sense.

(Maybe KC 10's I'm not that great at recognizing tankers...lol)
edit on 6-9-2018 by stupidusernamehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   

They've got some insane simulators there. The first KC-46 cargo sim is already set up, and probably running crews through. They were set to have the interactive, networked maintenance simulator in place by the second quarter of this year.

boeing.mediaroom.com...

edit on 9/6/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   

I cant imagine how insane simulators are now. When I was in HS, I got to get in one at Vance and it was amazing.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

They can run virtual training now, where they network aircraft and simulators from other bases and run missions together without ever starting the aircraft up. It's more effective right now with the simulator, but you can plug actual aircraft in and the displays will react just like they were flying and receiving real signals.

top topics

join