It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette butts are among the most abundant types of human-produced garbage in the world's oceans.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I live in the Seattle area and they are very concerned about pollution. You can no longer have a straw with your drink due to pollution. I find it interesting that with everything being so green in my area the one elephant in the room is cigarette butts. It still seems to be ok to toss your butts anywhere and everywhere. You have restrictions where you can smoke them but not where you throw them. I suppose legally it is considered illegal to throw butts anywhere, but I don't see any repercussions.I take my dogs for a walk everyday in what would be a pristine wilderness with the exception of people throwing their cigarette butts all over the place. They will pick up their dog crap but leave the butts.

Cigarette butts are among the most abundant types of human-produced garbage in the world's oceans. Most of the roughly 5.5 trillion cigarettes manufactured globally every year contain a plastic-based filter, made of cellulose acetate, according to the Cigarette Butt Pollution Project. Those filters can take decades to decompose after the cigarette butt has been discarded. As the plastics break down the chemicals can be consumed by wildlife. According to environmental researchers cited by NBC News, scientists have found traces of these chemicals in roughly 70% of seabirds and approximately 30% of sea turtles. Text

www.businessinsider.fr...

My question is why is it still considered ok by many to leave drop their cigarette butts on the ground when ever they finish one? I would love to hear from smokers.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: pointessa

If these people don’t care about their very own bodies, it should be clear that they won’t care about the environment.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Myself I knock the hot box off of them, roll the butt a bit to get out the unburnt tobacco so I know it is safe to throw in a trash can. No trash can around I will keep the butt in my pocket.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
Myself I knock the hot box off of them, roll the butt a bit to get out the unburnt tobacco so I know it is safe to throw in a trash can. No trash can around I will keep the butt in my pocket.

I think that is really responsible of you. My intent is not to trash smokers, it's the point of leaving them everywhere and the fact that they don't just decompose. I wonder why manufacturers aren't required to make filters that decompose quickly? That would address one problem, the other problem of the residuals getting into wildlife I don't know what to do about that.

I am not trying to be some SJW here. I know that I have a bunch of habits that cause all sorts of strains to the environment as well. There is just something so sad about our beautiful oceans filled with cigarette butts and plastic bottles (yes, one of those plastic bottle could be mine). I have read stories of people lost at sea surviving off of the islands of garbage floating around.
edit on 3-9-2018 by pointessa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I roll my own and I make them filterless. There's no cigarette butts to discard for me. What I discard burns away to ash.

This is actually one of the reasons.

Maybe they should make biodegradable filters. It's not like the filter does a whole lot health wise.
edit on -050008am9kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa
I would love to hear from smokers.

After decades of sanctimonious asshats pushing smokers around the gif shows my feelings on the matter.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
I roll my own and I make them filterless. There's no cigarette butts to discard for me. What I discard burns away to ash.

Maybe they should make biodegradable filters. It's not like the filter does a whole lot health wise.

Very good point, I was thinking the same thing. With the government interfering with everything, why not require that? If it is such a big issue, makes you wonder how much those tobacco lobbyists donate to the political machine.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I don't care who smokes as long as it's not blown in my face or left as trash.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I NEVER throw mine down, no matter where I go, as they're too valuable here as potting soil mix substrate.

The paper sleeve generally breaks down in no time, and soon there after you can hardly distinguish them from the rest of the mix. Although on top without much agitation I suppose they'd stand out for a while.
edit on 3-9-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

That would address one problem, the other problem of the residuals getting into wildlife I don't know what to do about that.

Very poisonous to animals.
In rural farming areas, you don't find many butts. If a person is seen just discarding onto the land where someone's animals can get them, some farmer is likely to confront them about it. If the litterer won't pick it up, the farmer will.
Plus, there's a massive fire hazard in the summer.....

Most smokers these days are polite enough to take care of their butts.

Never discard into planter pots, the peatmoss is highly flammable!!!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I snuff the but out put it back in the pack take them home peel the paper put them in a bottle with a little fingernail polish remover and Bam chemical reaction.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I roll also, OCB makes biodegradable filters out of cellulose. I've tried them they work about the same as the other ones. I don't know how well they actually biodegrade though and i've only found them at a couple places. I personally try not to litter cigarette butts. I knock cherry off and pocket and garbage them.
edit on 3/9/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

That would address one problem, the other problem of the residuals getting into wildlife I don't know what to do about that.

Very poisonous to animals.
In rural farming areas, you don't find many butts. If a person is seen just discarding onto the land where someone's animals can get them, some farmer is likely to confront them about it. If the litterer won't pick it up, the farmer will.
Plus, there's a massive fire hazard in the summer.....

Most smokers these days are polite enough to take care of their butts.

Never discard into planter pots, the peatmoss is highly flammable!!!!!

That's another huge point you made, the fire issue. We have had weeks of smoky air here from all the fires. I know their are many started in other ways but how many start from tossing a butt out the window. My nephew burned his parents house down after throwing a butt in the garage.

Your other point about throwing into planter pots is something I never thought about, but I see it all the time.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

I roll also, OCB makes biodegradable filters out of cellulose. I've tried them they work about the same as the other ones. I don't know how well they actually biodegrade though and i've only found them at a couple places. I personally try not to litter cigarette butts. I knock cherry off and pocket and garbage them.

I'm seeing that there are a lot more responsible smokers out there than I have given them credit for. I hope others can read this and learn from your strategies.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Guilty. Years ago when I smoked I threw them off my boat all the time.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I will say this ... when hiking in the woods I always put the butts in my pocket to throw away later and I always take trash I find out of the woods. I still pick up trash but the cigs went the way of the dinosaurs in 2012.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Guilty. Years ago when I smoked I threw them off my boat all the time.

I appreciate your honesty. I have to admit that at the age of 19-20 while drinking heavily I started smoking and I'm sure I dropped those butts in all sorts of places. I never gave a single thought to the repercussions or the cumulative effect. Of course at that time, I was pretty messed up and would have been lucky to get my shoes on the right feet.
edit on 3-9-2018 by pointessa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I'm seeing that there are a lot more responsible smokers out there than I have given them credit for. I hope others can read this and learn from your strategies.

Meh personally I just try and minimize my negative impact on those around me. Just because i'm doing something harmful to myself and generally looked down upon doesn't mean I need to be a dick about it.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Thank you so much for doing what you do!!! I pick up in my little piece of paradise where my dogs and I walk daily. It is a mile of pristine beach on the Straits of Juan De Fuca. I just want it to maintain it's natural beauty and human garbage is so disrespectful. I pick up the garbage too. I pick up the cigarette butts and it grosses me out. In the winter I wear gloves but refuse to put on latex gloves in the summer so I don't have to touch them. I have even identified the same smokers by their lipstick color and the way they leave their butts. I had never thought about the toxic nature of wildlife ingesting them.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Meh personally I just try and minimize my negative impact on those around me. Just because i'm doing something harmful to myself and generally looked down upon doesn't mean I need to be a dick about it.

Exactly. No need for commentary from the peanut gallery as well.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join