It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette butts are among the most abundant types of human-produced garbage in the world's oceans.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Put your butts to use. A bag of them on top of your garbage and you won't have a racoon problem.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scrutinizing

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
Mice, bugs and rats will eat garbage

Will have to take your word for that, as I've never seen any of them in line at McDonald's.

Then apparently you've never paid attention to the dumpsters at a fast food restaurant (especially McDonald's) because they are EVERYWHERE! I however do not eat McDonald's, but worked at one briefly in my early years.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
There must be a Rube Goldberg machine for the disposal of said butts..... no?

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Then apparently you've never paid attention to the dumpsters at a fast food restaurant (especially McDonald's) because they are EVERYWHERE! I however do not eat McDonald's, but worked at one briefly in my early years.

Would have to admit I've never gone to a fast food restaurant for the dumpsters, but I'm just weird that way.

I think the fast food industry is a lot better for education, than peoples' arteries, in it giving young people not only an opportunity to make some much needed money, but also a lesson in the discipline of an honest, hard and fast moving job. There are a lot of youth or entry level jobs that grow people up quickly, lifelong lessons. The world not actually being such a flip and forgiving place, that's a good thing! I also had a few jobs when young that helped me realize, and for the better, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."
edit on 3-9-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Typo

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
Myself I knock the hot box off of them, roll the butt a bit to get out the unburnt tobacco so I know it is safe to throw in a trash can. No trash can around I will keep the butt in my pocket.

I do the same thing.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
Myself I knock the hot box off of them, roll the butt a bit to get out the unburnt tobacco so I know it is safe to throw in a trash can. No trash can around I will keep the butt in my pocket.

I did the same when I smoked.

It was my bad habit, I had no intention of inflicting myself upon others.

Eventually, that mentality is what led me to give up smoking entirely.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Cigarette butt litter is one of the reasons I kind of despise smokers. If someone wants to smoke, I don't really care as long as they aren't infringing on my space with it. However, the cigarette butts everywhere just annoy the heck out of me. Parks, beaches, balconies, etc. Anywhere outdoors there is some hug pile of disgusting cig butts.

I'm surprised they haven't come out with some better biodegradable cig butt that disolves fairly quickly in rain or something.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik
personally i pocket my butts, toss em out later.

but in all honesty why should such a persecuted group such as smokers care? if smokers were treated fairly, then maybe people would have a right to expect them to not be dicks about it. i do know smokers that do feel they have the right to revenge themselves on the unfair treatment by tossing their butts everywhere. pretty much as a protest of that unfair treatment from todays "PC" society. it's about the only form of protest they have for things like unfair taxation in the form of sin taxes that have caused the price of cigarettes to skyrocket, with many people now having to pay $10 or more a pack, when the cost should be about $2-$3. every time you turn around smokers are not being allowed to smoke in more places, including their own homes and cars. they are forced to smoke out in the elements with no protection. in some places you can't even smoke in some highway rest areas now, so you have no choice but to either pull off unsafely on the side of the highway, or smoke while driving. so you don't want people to smoke in things like restaurants and workplaces because of secondhand smoke. that is fine, just put in places like they used to do where a smoker can smoke, without getting sick by being stuck out in the rain and snow, freezing their a%%es off. start treating smokers with just common decency and respect and perhaps they might start to care. heck, even just placing convenient places to safely throw butts would help.

I have to admit I didn't know about the extent of the regulations about smokers.I get where you are coming from. But I don't even think smokers like looking at cigarette butts? Nobody likes to be a whipping boy, but as my mother used to say to me " don't cut off your nose to spite your face...Does anyone want to go to sit down on the beach next to a bunch of butts?
edit on 3-9-2018 by pointessa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Human produced garbage in the ocean? Cigarette buts? Plastic straws? Obviously none of you have seen the, what would you call it, "garbage" that's pumped out of these extremely large cruise liners. Or do you think they save it all in big tanks and empty when the dock in port. Then there is all the other shipping floating around the oceans dumping their rubbish overboard.
And you go on about cigarette buts, literally nothing, but it's the deregeur kicking boy at the moment.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Ok I'm a smoker and thought I'd tell you what I think

1. It's a dirty habit I need to quit

2. I'm actually careful what I do with my cigarette butts I actually feel guilty if I were just to throw it on the floor, yes I know if i put it in an ashtray it's going to end up in a land fill site somewhere but I hate just chucking then on the floor. I get annoyed when I see people do it and even more annoyed when I see someone doing a fancy flick and fire their butts into a bush as if it's something to be proud of. Even when I'm out trekking I make sure I have a little bag to put my butts into

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

I am going to try and figure out why our EPA has never made it a point to force the tobacco companies to change the materials in the filters so they will decompose. If I make any progress, I will post it here.

Thank you to everyone who has posted. I now have more empathy for smokers and realize not everyone is throwing their butts on the streets.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Who's big idea was it to put cotton on a cigarette in the first place?

I would not bother me if they quit putting cotton in cigarettes.

There are more worth while causes to bring up since butts last only 6 months to a year.
edit on 4-9-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

It's been years, but I recall hearing told there was fiberglass in cigarette filters at some point, even asbestos, way back when, for a few years, recall even certain brands that were being warned against, the only such brand I recall being Kool, but also maybe Marlboro, at some point? It was claimed micro glass fibers were settling in peoples' lungs and destroying tissue: if that's not a grotesque idea, I don't know what is. Which also reminds me of once seeing a list of pollutants in tobacco smoke, and some of there were radioactive. Just grotesque.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

There are more worth while causes to bring up since butts last only 6 months to a year.

The article stated that they last for decades, and they are the one of the major pollutants in the oceans, also toxic substances have been found in wildlife so it is not inconsequential.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Scrutinizing

In 1954, Reynolds Tobacco introduced Winston – the first filter cigarette to achieve a major success in the marketplace. Reynolds Tobacco introduced Salem – the first filter-tipped menthol cigarette, in 1956. The Belair menthol brand was launched nationally by B&W in 1960. History | R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company www.rjrt.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scrutinizing

It's been years, but I recall hearing told there was fiberglass in cigarette filters at some point, even asbestos, way back when, for a few years, recall even certain brands that were being warned against, the only such brand I recall being Kool, but also maybe Marlboro, at some point? It was claimed micro glass fibers were settling in peoples' lungs and destroying tissue: if that's not a grotesque idea, I don't know what is. Which also reminds me of once seeing a list of pollutants in tobacco smoke, and some of there were radioactive. Just grotesque.

Can you imagine, literally sucking asbestos or fiberglass into your lungs??? When I worked as a nurse in a hospital setting I can remember being blown away at how many of my patients were suffering health conditions that smoking was a huge factor in.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa

The article stated that they last for decades, and they are the one of the major pollutants in the oceans, also toxic substances have been found in wildlife so it is not inconsequential.

Then the article is full of it.

Hyperbole

I suppose we first have to find out exactly what a butt is made of now days. The answer will surprise you.

Cotton degrades pretty quick...within a year in most cases and a couple months in a compost pile.

The answer to this is sickening.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Dumbass government regulations.

OMG these people are idiots.

This pisses me off.

I smell a bunch of lawsuits from smokers and environmental groups.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

a reply to: Scrutinizing

In 1954, Reynolds Tobacco introduced Winston – the first filter cigarette to achieve a major success in the marketplace. Reynolds Tobacco introduced Salem – the first filter-tipped menthol cigarette, in 1956. The Belair menthol brand was launched nationally by B&W in 1960. History | R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company www.rjrt.com...

Sorry, but I don't know what possible valid conclusion, relating to my comment, one is supposed to come to, via a tobacco company website.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa

Can you imagine, literally sucking asbestos or fiberglass into your lungs??? When I worked as a nurse in a hospital setting I can remember being blown away at how many of my patients were suffering health conditions that smoking was a huge factor in.

Really, there's the hideous, then there's the very hideous, isn't there?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join