It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are some old sayings racist or inappropriate ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Moderators this thread is meant in good fun and addresses both sides of the spectrum . If you think it's inappropriate feel free to s*#t can it.

I made this statement earlier " living in high cotton ". It made me think of the origin of that statement. Around here it means wealth or happiness.

But that statement can be traced back to a joke that started among slaves wishing each other well. It referred to the fact that you didn't have to bend over to pick the cotton.

But seriously with a few people knowing its origins.

Is it really racist to say it ?

How about "no can-do"? It was a derogatory statement used to moock Chinese immigrants.

Or gypped . That was a besmirchment traced back to the gypsies telling no one to trust them .

And now for the English ATS members .

Bugger. it was a insult aimed at a religion that practice sodomy. Which should be totally appropriate in this gender neutral era . Lol

In reality we use terms like these every day on both sides of partisan lines . Democrat or Republican we've all made what we thought was a innocent joke .

I guess my question is where does intent start and where does it end and why can you be persecuted for words ? ( I am so confused!!!)

Feel free to post your examples .

edit on 1-9-2018 by 14377 because: I have no idea this time

edit on 1-9-2018 by 14377 because: I left out a LOL

edit on 1-9-2018 by 14377 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Why?

WTH is besmirchment?

I tell people some times to go f u c k themselves. Did I offend them ? That was my intent.

Just be direct with your feelings, f u c k them

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Besmirchment is a hillbilly word forward degrading someone or thing .
You tell someone to go # their self's. Good for you.

That's direct and to the point. I like to be a little more vague and deceptive yet still get my point across .

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
We say "shatting in high cotton" soft on the bottom area.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: 14377

In life vague & deceptive will get you killed. I'm in the South we just say "bless his/her heart" means he/she is a freaking moron.
edit on 1-9-2018 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

Lol i've heard that version too.

I'm hoping people aren't taking this thread wrong. I thought it would be cool for people to throw sayings, idioms or quotes up so we could dissecting them .

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Regarding your signature, If you want to get laid....crawl up a chickens arse & wait.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Unless you're holding the heavy material back on them .

Plus I've never had anyone punch me through my monitor . ( or tiny little screen on an iPhone) Lol

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Actually chickens asses are in the air when they eat . That way you wouldn't have to crawl up only down .

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I know you've heard this one.....If I had that car & he had a feather up his arse….we would both be tickled.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I got called out for saying, 'well, I haven't talked to you in a coon's age'

Boss said it was racist.......I disagreed and told her she didn't know what the meaning was.

She said it referred to black people.

I told her that it came from centuries before when no one knew how long a raccoon lived, hence, 'I haven't seen you in I don't know how long'.

Still got in trouble.....~shrug~
edit on 1-9-2018 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I was poking fun at you, nothing serious just messin with ya.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

That's country 101 thanks . Lol

But it's probably discriminatory against any other car manufacturer . Muscle carist!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262

In life vague & deceptive will get you killed. I'm in the South we just say "bless his/her heart" means he/she is a freaking moron.

Yep ! And never heard of bereachment,nor any hillbillies I know and work with. . I deal with idiots on a daily basis .

I don't mince words and coward down.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Where I'm from "Bless your heart" can mean different things.
It can mean "God bless you" or it can mean "What a freaking idiot!"

Personally I'm much more conservative with my language on the internet than in real life. In real life I say what I mean and mean what I say, and don't give a rat's @$$ if it's PC or not!

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: pointr97

That's a great example !!!

It's been a innocent saying for 300 years. But now it's racist .

Here's one that never gets called out " The United Negro College fund ". Just think of the applications. That stood for free or assisted schooling for African Americans led by African-Americans with donations from all races.

I haven't checked lately. But I think it's safe to assume that the minor N word has been replaced after decades of use .

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: 14377
a reply to: Groot

Besmirchment is a hillbilly word forward degrading someone or thing .

We live amongst the hillbillies and they don't use words that long any more. Not being prejudiced, it's just a fact. However a 30 pack of Bud Light is considered legal tender and you can acquire nearly any sort of goods or sevice for one!

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

No problem, you couldn't hurt my feelings with a stick . Lol

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

It can also mean you pity someone .

To avoid two reply as I read your other post. I'm for Eastern Kentucky we use long words all the time. When's the last time you heard the word tarnation or behoove ?

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I hear tarnation all the time! Behoove occasionally. Also in Kentucky for over 4 years, originally from Texas.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join