It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former ‘ER’ actress Vanessa Marquez shot and killed by police

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
www.aol.com...

Officers were called to Marquez’s home in the 1100 block of Fremont Avenue by a landlord to check on her welfare. When the officers arrived around 12 p.m., she was suffering from seizures and appeared unable to take care of herself. Officers called out paramedics and a mental health clinician, and continued to talk with her. After about 90 minutes, Marquez, 49, armed herself with a BB gun and pointed it at the officers, causing them to open fire, said Sheriff’s Lt. Joe Mendoza.

Wow! They are in her home for 90 minutes and do not assess the situation in the home as to if there are firearms present out in the open. Seems like they should have determined that it was a bb gun long before she ever touched it. On top of that they are dealing with a situation where they claim she was not in her right mind. I will never understand how someone can shoot before recognizing the type of weapon being pointed at them.

“Clooney helped blacklist me when I spoke up abt harassment on ER.’women who dont play the game lose career’I did,” she wrote on Twitter.

Surely hollywood did not off her.

Marquez also wrote on social media that she was suffering from immune disorders, including celiac disease. She said several times that she was diagnosed as “terminal” and was “homebound.”

If true then possible she went out on her own terms.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This one is tricky.

She had a terminal illness.

I bet when she had that seizure, she realized it was coming quickly. This poor woman had been jaded so bad in the industry and not one of any authority gave two craps about her being groped and blacklisted because she spoke up. When she came out of that seizure, she knew she had a way out and she took it.

The police can't identify every threat. She may have had that bbgun hidden. I mean, why would you have a gun in an obvious place where someone/criminals can get to it before you can?

She wanted to end it. This is exactly what I see. I can't pin this one on LEOs. They were doing their job to help her. Maybe you or I wouldn't have fallen for it but some people just can't be sure, especially if they didn't know anything about her past. Until I read her story just a bit ago, I wouldn't have known either and I probably would have made the same decision in this unpredictable judgment call.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

I have a Beretta 92F 9mm. pistol. I also have a Daisy replica 92F that shoots little plastic balls. If I place them side by side with the Daisy markings down you can't tell them apart even if you pick them up.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Went out like McCain. Bravely, on her own terms.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Damn, clooney blacklisted her?

Actor, meh, but honestly, that dude just comes off a creep and shady.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

AGREED...So many people are CLUELESS when it comes to guns and firearms, like pellet/BB guns. HELLO...cops have families too and often times have just SECONDS to access a dangerous situation. This incident isn't about race...it's about a mentally disturbed individual making a POOR decision. Sounds like death by cop to me. Condolences to Marquez’s family...hope she's at peace.

edit on 8/31/2018 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

MERIKA!

Who needs first aid when you can just shot # up!

USA USA USA!

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Not even seconds. Cops get killed when they don't instantly respond to a weapon pointed at them. There is no time for thinking, they react on training which is to shoot rather than be shot.

edit on 31-8-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

I have a Beretta 92F 9mm. pistol. I also have a Daisy replica 92F that shoots little plastic balls. If I place them side by side with the Daisy markings down you can't tell them apart even if you pick them up.

We are not talking about replicas as far as i know.

It just says bb gun.

I accept your point but counter with the fact that replicas are rare compared to bb guns. The point you made is in the minority. imho

Threat assessment is a duty of an officer and every failed threat assessment does not equate intent or guilt only negligence.

If a person with a non lethal weapon is killed by police then they have failed in their threat assessment.

Things like reaction time and other circumstances do come into play. I understand all that.

edit on 31-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

Not even seconds. Cops get killed when they don't instantly respond to a weapon pointed at them. There is no time for thinking, they react on training which is to shoot rather than be shot.

Seems like a lot gong on in that 90 mins, not sure how the cops could let her even get into the position of having a real or fake gun in her hands.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
a reply to: JIMC5499

AGREED...So many people are CLUELESS when it comes to guns and firearms, like pellet/BB guns. HELLO...cops have families too and often times have just SECONDS to access a dangerous situation. This incident isn't about race...it's about a mentally disturbed individual making a POOR decision. Sounds like death by cop to me. Condolences to Marquez’s family...hope she's at peace.

BB gun, phone, finger, a nervous twitch...lol doesn't take much for a cop to pull the trigger...how the hell did she even get anything like that in her hands in the first place....

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

In my eyes Clooney, Depp, and Hanks are all traitor. I refuse to watch their movies now. It’s a shame because they have really good movies but there are plenty of others to choose from

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

These are common BB guns.

I think you are trying to hard to side against law enforcement for protecting their own lives and giving her a pass for her bringing it on herself.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

Seems like a lot gong on in that 90 mins, not sure how the cops could let her even get into the position of having a real or fake gun in her hands.

Because they are really good at their job.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Kind of makes me wonder just how popular is "suicide by cop"?

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Just a thought crossed my mind...obviously insurance rarely pays for suicide or euthanasia. Is this a possibility that some may choose death by cop to ensure families get benefits?

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Nope i am stating facts.

It was a failed threat assessment and does not prove intent or guilt but does show negligence.

When the page loaded and i seen you had posted pics it took all of .2 seconds to recognize the barrel size on the first pic.

The other two pics not so much cause they look alike from the side.

If a cop kills a suspect holding a non lethal weapon then it is a failed threat assessment. fact

Since when does stating a fact equate not siding with police?

You took a mental leap to couple my responses with siding with anyone.

I think you may be predispositioned to protect police at every turn.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
This one is tricky.

I bet when she had that seizure, she realized it was coming quickly. This poor woman had been jaded so bad in the industry and not one of any authority gave two craps about her being groped and blacklisted because she spoke up. When she came out of that seizure, she knew she had a way out and she took it.

The police can't identify every threat. She may have had that bbgun hidden. I mean, why would you have a gun in an obvious place where someone/criminals can get to it before you can?

She wanted to end it. This is exactly what I see. I can't pin this one on LEOs. They were doing their job to help her. Maybe you or I wouldn't have fallen for it but some people just can't be sure, especially if they didn't know anything about her past. Until I read her story just a bit ago, I wouldn't have known either and I probably would have made the same decision in this unpredictable judgment call.

You must not know anything about seizures. I have epilepsy. People who have seizures often don't know what's going on and will sometimes be combative and hit people and so forth. It causes an altered mental state.

I don't know if she had epilepsy or not but a seizure is a seizure. And they can mess with your mind.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Kind of makes me wonder just how popular is "suicide by cop"?

It makes me ponder on how easy it is to get them to kill.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

originally posted by: StallionDuck
This one is tricky.

You must not know anything about seizures. I have epilepsy. People who have seizures often don't know what's going on and will sometimes be combative and hit people and so forth. It causes an altered mental state.

I don't know if she had epilepsy or not but a seizure is a seizure. And they can mess with your mind.

Yep any seizure that does not have a physical cause like a tumor or an old injury is a neurological issue and coincides in those cases with abnormal behavior and confusion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join