It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Citizens are being denied passports and being sent to Detention centers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

PHARR, Tex. — On paper, he’s a devoted U.S. citizen. His official American birth certificate shows he was delivered by a midwife in Brownsville, at the southern tip of Texas. He spent his life wearing American uniforms: three years as a private in the Army, then as a cadet in the Border Patrol and now as a state prison guard.

But when Juan, 40, applied to renew his U.S. passport this year, the government’s response floored him. In a letter, the State Department said it didn’t believe he was an American citizen.

As he would later learn, Juan is one of a growing number of people whose official birth records show they were born in the United States but who are now being denied passports — their citizenship suddenly thrown into question. The Trump administration is accusing hundreds, and possibly thousands, of Hispanics along the border of using fraudulent birth certificates since they were babies, and it is undertaking a widespread crackdown.

Me myself, I would rather let every illegal immigrant stay in this country than to throw out one American citizen. I realize I’m in the minority here, and no matter how much that is in line with the attitudes our country was founded on, it’s not the way a lot of Americans think today.

Not only are American citizens being denied a passport, but they are also being sent to immigration detention facilities and being held.

Attorneys say these cases, where the government’s doubts about an official birth certificate lead to immigration detention, are increasingly common. “I’ve had probably 20 people who have been sent to the detention center — U.S. citizens,” said Jaime Diez, an attorney in Brownsville.

Diez represents dozens of U.S. citizens who were denied their passports or had their passports suddenly revoked. Among them are soldiers and Border Patrol agents. In some cases, Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents have arrived at his clients’ homes without notice and taken passports away.

Link

Please read the entire article before commenting if you can. This is authoritarianism, plain and simple. Instituted under the guise of immigration enforcement.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

If you think this is working as intended you are wrong. Someone(s) isn't doing their job right. If this bull# mistake can happen, it's awful. The law isn't set up around doing this though, so that letting them all in crap can go.
edit on 30-8-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

The only way this is anything other then people #ing up is if the person who supplied his birth certificate has been convicted of offenses related to forgery. In which case, how can a proper investigation be done? I think something more along the lines of an investigation for each individual under these circumstances. If proper evidence doesn't exist or evidence that many true americans were also linked up in this, maybe a blanket pardon to any who isn't. we're limited here.
edit on 30-8-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Link

more quotes:

The government alleges that from the 1950s through the 1990s, some midwives and physicians along the Texas-Mexico border provided U.S. birth certificates to babies who were actually born in Mexico. In a series of federal court cases in the 1990s, several birth attendants admitted to providing fraudulent documents.

Based on those suspicions, the State Department during the George W. Bush and Barack Obama administrations denied passports to people who were delivered by midwives in Texas’s Rio Grande Valley. The use of midwives is a long-standing tradition in the region, in part because of the cost of hospital care.

The same midwives who provided fraudulent birth certificates also delivered thousands of babies legally in the United States. It has proved nearly impossible to distinguish between legitimate and illegitimate documents, all of them officially issued by the state of Texas decades ago.

The "system" is fast and loose and it invites crime

💥😃💥

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I guess we're only citizens until we aren't.

If satisfying a standard requires denying and detaining innocent citizens of your country, you need to reexamine your standard.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

www.esquire.com...different link for anyone having trouble with the wash compost

I could not read the link cause i am a broke ass poster. They want a dollar to read. I think you can only read like 10 articles for free then they want you to pay.

However going around and confiscating papers is hitlarian. There has to be a better way.
edit on 30-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: underwerks

Link

more quotes:

The government alleges that from the 1950s through the 1990s, some midwives and physicians along the Texas-Mexico border provided U.S. birth certificates to babies who were actually born in Mexico. In a series of federal court cases in the 1990s, several birth attendants admitted to providing fraudulent documents.

Based on those suspicions, the State Department during the George W. Bush and Barack Obama administrations denied passports to people who were delivered by midwives in Texas’s Rio Grande Valley. The use of midwives is a long-standing tradition in the region, in part because of the cost of hospital care.

The same midwives who provided fraudulent birth certificates also delivered thousands of babies legally in the United States. It has proved nearly impossible to distinguish between legitimate and illegitimate documents, all of them officially issued by the state of Texas decades ago.

The "system" is fast and loose and it invites crime

💥😃💥

So take away Americans’ freedom to try to get rid of the crime?

I don’t agree with that.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

I could not read the link cause i am a broke ass poster. They want a dollar to read. I think you can only read like 10 articles for free then they want you to pay.

However going around and confiscating papers is hitlarian. There has to be a better way.

Clear your cache and it resets your limit.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
We have been through this before. See below. Now we have a new crop of illegals.

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986—signed into law by President Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986—granted amnesty to about 3 million undocumented immigrants in the United States

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky
There is, just empty your cache, cookies and delete all flash-cookies, depending on the browser you use.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

will do.

Now how much sense does it make to claim these people are not supposed to be here so were gonna not let them leave ever....

Give me your passport cause we do not want you here..your not going anywhere now..

link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

I didn’t want to bring that up because it seems like a cop-out these days to compare the actions of this administration to the Nazis, but you’re correct.

Passports were one of the first tools the Nazis used to separate Jews from the rest of the population.

Passports can be serious weapons in the hands of your average tinhorn tyranny. Back in the days of the Pinochet regime in Chile, over 20,000 Chilean exiles had their passports marked with an "L," a designation that kept them out of the country. More to our purposes, in 1938, the German government invalidated all German passports belonging to Jewish citizens. By the fall, they were all issued new passports marked with a "J." It was one of the first ways that German Jews were culled from the rest of the population and targeted.

www.esquire.com...

edit on 30-8-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
link   
Illegal immigration affects all legal citizens, and this is just another example of it. If there wasn't such an influx of illegal immigrants, and those attempting to lie and cheat to get into the country, this wouldn't be a problem.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
If there was any sense in this world, a quick check with the pen pushers in the Pentagon would have proved the bloke's service.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Even if this guy was given a false birth certificate, I doubt there is any way to prove it beyond conjecture. And even if it were the case that he had been provided with a fake birth certificate, he would not have been aware that his birth certificate was not legit, and he had no intention of 'getting away' with anything.

Whatever the cause of this is, THIS is something I am sure that we can all agree with as being appalling in the extreme. So, please, none of this "This is what you wanted. See, you are evil heartless bastards."

I hope that situations like this are always brought to attention, not with each side preparing to fight about it, but that together, it stops happening.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
So you are saying there is no widespread fraud on ID papers at bordertowns ?, most farmworkers have 2 ssn, they work on one and collect unemployment on the 2nd.

edit on 30-8-2018 by manuelram16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
If there was any sense in this world, a quick check with the pen pushers in the Pentagon would have proved the bloke's service.

That’s something else that rubbed me the wrong way. If you were brave enough to fight for this country, there shouldn’t be any question about your citizenship, and that should be something that is easily tracked down and figured out.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

wow, based on this, it's not "the Trump administration" at all, but "the government", unless you want to go into whataboutism and mention the great O and his predecessor G.

I'd say constantly blaming Trump for everything will backfire on you, but knowing it will, I'll just smile and watch you continue to lie as you have been.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
We have been through this before. See below. Now we have a new crop of illegals.

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986—signed into law by President Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986—granted amnesty to about 3 million undocumented immigrants in the United States

These situations, in my mind, are completely different. Illegal immigrants, undocumented citizens, and people who overstay visas are willingly and knowingly breaking the law, and are not the same as someone who was raised there, served there, contributed to society there, paid taxes there and never questioned their citizenship.

You can tell that is how the article wants to lead people, however. And as we've already seen, people who refuse to see the vast difference, will latch onto this in order to break everything down to nothing.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain
Even if this guy was given a false birth certificate, I doubt there is any way to prove it beyond conjecture. And even if it were the case that he had been provided with a fake birth certificate, he would not have been aware that his birth certificate was not legit, and he had no intention of 'getting away' with anything.

Whatever the cause of this is, THIS is something I am sure that we can all agree with as being appalling in the extreme. So, please, none of this "This is what you wanted. See, you are evil heartless bastards."

I hope that situations like this are always brought to attention, not with each side preparing to fight about it, but that together, it stops happening.

I agree with you. And thanks for the level headed post.

The guy in the OPs birth certificate was good enough for the military, and good enough for a job later on working for the government in a prison. But now, it’s not? And he was asked to come up with all kinds of crazy documents to prove his citizenship:

When Juan, the former soldier, received a letter from the State Department telling him it wasn’t convinced that he was a U.S. citizen, it requested a range of obscure documents — evidence of his mother’s prenatal care, his baptismal certificate, rental agreements from when he was a baby. He managed to find some of those documents but weeks later received another denial. In a letter, the government said the information “did not establish your birth in the United States.”

When this is the burden of proof for your identification, your papers will never be in order.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Again with the fake birth certificate claims?

It would be nice if they could prove the BC is fake before any action is taken.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join