It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Because "It's the law!"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Sorry for the clickbait title but I've seen this posted a lot lately and I just can't get my head around it.
Legislation set by Parliament or case law means nothing to me if I'm not dealing with authority. I probably break laws all the time and don't even realise it. I don't even think about "the law" because I only think about my own moral code.
My moral code is pretty much the same as most folk, the basics are covered, don't be a prick basically.

That said, definitions of prick status can be ambiguous so there is a place for laws and whichever the biggest gang in town says is the rules.
I will pick and choose my 'laws' all day though, the turning point for me was in 90's Britain when it became no longer legal to rape your wife.
How the # was that ever actually legal?!
Nah, the law can go whistle as far as I'm concerned, and all my mates in real life are the same...so who are all these "It's the law" people online? Where do they live? Do they ever drive at 71mph? lol

All comments from good little worker bee citizens are welcome, you know, the folk who despots like Hitler like to have as citizens.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Everyone picks and chooses the laws they'll break. Politicians lead the charge.

As far as the "JohnnyDoGood's" of society, they'll be quick to slander someone they don't agree with.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I agree with you. I’ve been criminalized almost my whole life for having a plant in my pocket.

Been locked up around 7 times, thousands upon thousands spent on court fees, robbed, shot at, you name it. All over a plant.

BECAUSE ITS THE LAW!!!

Idiocy at its finest. I take pride in being called a criminal when it’s the real criminals calling me that.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
Lol "JohnnyDoGood" types, I only see them online, most people I know in real life casually break the law all the time, from rich mates to poor mates.
I wonder who these pious citizens are because I never see them unless I'm looking at a screen.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Any one of us can be arrested on bogus charges and be helpless to do anything about it.
today we have crimes without intent.
You can commit a crime and not even know it.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I hate those "ignorance of the law is no excuse" comments. Nobody can be expected to know every law...

It's okay to be rationally ignorant of the law unless somebody notifies you that your actions are violating their rights I guess...

Peace
edit on 2018pAmerica/ChicagoTue, 28 Aug 2018 13:34:01 -0500pm313420188 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Lol geeze, I know plenty of friends who deal with said plant....

Trick is, don't carry it around in your pocket, may save you some money.

Just enjoy it at the comfort of home.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Haha, I'm with ya. I even know a few local cops, I've hung out with them before they were cops.... Even they know how to have fun if you know what I mean.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Bloody hell mate, you should move here, cops don't care about herbs here if everyone is playing nice.
Sounds a nightmare, and I know technically on paper the regime is the same here, but de facto it isn't...and I like it that way.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Bloody hell mate, you should move here, cops don't care about herbs here if everyone is playing nice.
Sounds a nightmare, and I know technically on paper the regime is the same here, but de facto it isn't...and I like it that way.

Woah woah, don't be disingenuous now. If you are carrying an unregistered butter knife to split open a cigar, you can find yourself in a lot of trouble.

Haha, I jest.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Lol geeze, I know plenty of friends who deal with said plant....

Trick is, don't carry it around in your pocket, may save you some money.

Just enjoy it at the comfort of home.

Or, move somewhere where it’s completely legal, and start a business.

As I did about 3 years ago. Then you’re just a fine upstanding tax paying member of the community.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Come to Canada after Oct 17, then we will have some fun

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Lol yes, 'the law' is just best practice guidance as far as I see it.
HR advice

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I agree with you. I’ve been criminalized almost my whole life for having a plant in my pocket.

Been locked up around 7 times, thousands upon thousands spent on court fees, robbed, shot at, you name it. All over a plant.

BECAUSE ITS THE LAW!!!

Idiocy at its finest. I take pride in being called a criminal when it’s the real criminals calling me that.

If you decided to quit carrying a plant in your pocket, lets say just because ..and your being investigated and don't know it and you choose to flush it down the toilet.
Thus, you have just committed obstruction of justice: "A criminal offense that involves interference, through words or actions, with the proper operations of a court or officers of the court." ....the law

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Woah woah, don't be disingenuous now. If you are carrying an unregistered butter knife to split open a cigar, you can find yourself in a lot of trouble.

Haha, I jest.
PMSL! We still fight like men here, that butter knife # is London youths, and it ain't a generation thing, my early 20's lad is in his own game of life and says it's the same in his peer group. Pulling a tool is being a pussy, and the rest of the community will condemn you.
London is a unique and horrible #hole.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

We all pick and choose what laws are acceptable to break. 100% of us.

I was not consulted when they were drafted. I did not agree to any of them.

I simply play ball

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
Lol, we share similar sentiments.
Funny how no "It's the law!" people have chimed in yet, maybe time zones and they are still in bed?

edit on 28-8-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Nobody follows 100% of laws 100% of the time, it is impossible. In some cases, laws are ambiguous at best or criminalize otherwise innocent-seeming acts (like crossing a street at a designated point vs. wherever you happen to be walking)

Most people's moral compass (ie: the fabled "reasonable person") should be developed enough to avoid the vast majority of infractions and all felonious conduct.

The minute the above statement ceases to be true is when we should be concerned about excessive laws or criminalization of trivial misconduct/conduct

edit on 8/28/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

a reply to: TinySickTears
Lol, we share similar sentiments.
Funny how no "It's the law!" people have chimed in yet, maybe time zones and they are still in bed?

I think most people will agree that not all laws are fair or worth following.

That being said , society as a whole needs some sort of guidelines so it can properly function. I’m not a fan of vigilantism, and feels that law enforcement should be the ones handling criminal cases. Of course that doesn’t always end in fair judgement and proper penalties, but it beats the public taking lawlessness into their own hands in some cases.

Just my two cents... interesting thread topic OP.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join