It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Angels to transition to the Super Hornet by 2021

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
With the USN shedding its legacy Hornets, it was inevitable that their flagship Squadron and flight demonstration team will transition to the E/F models. 9 E's and 2 F's will make up the squadron.

I wonder if we will start seeing a Cobra or two as part of their routine

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

They've been working on transitioning since at least a couple years ago. They were talking about it after the Tennessee crash. They had some engineering issues.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They've been working on transitioning since at least a couple years ago. They were talking about it after the Tennessee crash. They had some engineering issues.

Any idea how worn out the airframes are in terms of flight hours? I get that they are well maintained but they must have some tough miles on them

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Oh, they're going to end up pretty mangled. The last F-16s that the Thunderbirds retired were actually bent. They were in such bad shape they couldn't even SLEP them, and sent them to the Boneyard.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I got to see the last (public) show in the A-4's. I suppose I should make an effort to journey see the last in these.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I figured what with all the shows, the practice, and the flight to and from locations. Well, its almost as powerfull as the F-4's they used to have.

Ill dredge up some pics taken at Moffett as a kid when the Blue Angles and their F-4's last visited
edit on 8/16/18 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
So looking a the date on the slides, I was a baby and this was my first airshow at Moffett Field circa 1969 with the Blue Angels in their F-4's

edit on 8/16/18 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Still can't beat the Thunderbirds F-4s with the black tail on the slot bird.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It's pretty hard to beat the F-4 in category even tangentially related to sex appeal. The things had the kind of distinctive character that would make a WWII warbird jealous.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Hate to disagree but the best absolute best was Steve Austin as a guest pilot with the Thunderbird's in T-38's in the classic episode "The Thunderbird Connection"

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The Navy will convert 18 LRIP F-18E/F airframes for the Blue Angels. These aircraft are aircraft that are no longer flying, or have become obsolete for training or warfighting. Phase one of the transition involves the transition team developing the flight profile for the team, using the new aircraft. That is currently underway with former Blue Angels pilots at Pax River, with them flying the Manned Flight Simulator. Meanwhile, the aircraft software is being tweaked to display information the pilots will require to perform the show safely.

While flying the simulator, several "aha" moments have occurred. One of them is inverted flight characteristics. The Hornet is cleared for up to 60 seconds inverted, while the Super Hornet is cleared for 40 seconds. So they've had to develop new maneuvers to minimize inverted flight, without affecting the quality of the show. The Super Hornet is also better in some areas, such as looping, rolling, and acceleration. The show time will also be reduced somewhat. To accommodate the change to the new aircraft, the 2020 show season will be reduced, and the 2021 season start later in the year.

Early-production F/A-18E/F Super Hornets have a new mission—help the Blue Angels inspire greatness and service in others—as the next flight demonstration aircraft for the U.S. Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron.

In the next few years, the Blue Angels will transition from the F/A-18 Hornet to the Super Hornet as 18 low-rate initial production (LRIP) F/A-18E/F Super Hornets are modified and then painted in the iconic blue.

“While the team is preparing for a safe and dynamic Super Hornet show in 2021, execution depends on the material condition of the allotted aircraft and modifications remaining on schedule,” said Chief of Naval Air Training (CNATRA) Rear Adm. Gregory Harris. “Enterprise-wide effort will ensure fleet readiness priorities are met throughout the transition.”

In the meantime, the flight profile for the Super Hornet aerial demonstration is being developed by former Blue Angels pilots at the Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division’s Manned Flight Simulator at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland.

navalaviationnews.navylive.dodlive.mil...

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
So looking a the date on the slides, I was a baby and this was my first airshow at Moffett Field circa 1969 with the Blue Angels in their F-4's

My first and unfortunately last time I saw the BA's perform was at Tinker, I believe it was in 73. The F-4 has been ingrained in my head ever since.

Cool pics Fred

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The first Rhino pictures in team colors have arrived.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Man, that looks nice.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

The US NAVY on the side of the intake looks odd, but it is pretty.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The first F-18E test aircraft was delivered. It was modified to include smoke tank, fuel systems for extended inverted flight, civilian- compatible navigation systems, cameras, and ballast for the new CG.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The last show on their schedule, Pensacola, has been canceled. Unless someone adds a show suddenly, it would appear that the Legacy Hornet is done with the team.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The US NAVY on the side of the intake looks odd, but it is pretty.

I recall that being on the old aircraft too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join