It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Angels to transition to the Super Hornet by 2021

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
With the USN shedding its legacy Hornets, it was inevitable that their flagship Squadron and flight demonstration team will transition to the E/F models. 9 E's and 2 F's will make up the squadron.

I wonder if we will start seeing a Cobra or two as part of their routine

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

They've been working on transitioning since at least a couple years ago. They were talking about it after the Tennessee crash. They had some engineering issues.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They've been working on transitioning since at least a couple years ago. They were talking about it after the Tennessee crash. They had some engineering issues.

Any idea how worn out the airframes are in terms of flight hours? I get that they are well maintained but they must have some tough miles on them

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Oh, they're going to end up pretty mangled. The last F-16s that the Thunderbirds retired were actually bent. They were in such bad shape they couldn't even SLEP them, and sent them to the Boneyard.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I got to see the last (public) show in the A-4's. I suppose I should make an effort to journey see the last in these.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I figured what with all the shows, the practice, and the flight to and from locations. Well, its almost as powerfull as the F-4's they used to have.

Ill dredge up some pics taken at Moffett as a kid when the Blue Angles and their F-4's last visited
edit on 8/16/18 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
So looking a the date on the slides, I was a baby and this was my first airshow at Moffett Field circa 1969 with the Blue Angels in their F-4's

edit on 8/16/18 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Still can't beat the Thunderbirds F-4s with the black tail on the slot bird.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It's pretty hard to beat the F-4 in category even tangentially related to sex appeal. The things had the kind of distinctive character that would make a WWII warbird jealous.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Hate to disagree but the best absolute best was Steve Austin as a guest pilot with the Thunderbird's in T-38's in the classic episode "The Thunderbird Connection"

new topics

top topics

join