It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ARK - survival evolved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I have been playing this game for a while now. Can't seem to pull myself away from it.

Now they have a new DLC coming out in a month or two called Extinction:
youtu.be...

My tribemates have moved on and I need to bring in some new recruits so leave a reply if you want to team up (XBOX).

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Absinth3

OH man I love ARK. I play on PC though. It does have full controller support which is nice since I use an XBOBONE elite controller. For the past year on my server my tribe and another tribe have been using gorilla style tactics on each other. My tribe has less resources and is younger than them but we manage to keep afloat. We did have to start using mobile bases since they know our hours of play. They constantly stalk us and wait till we log to destroy our bases. They never kill us when we are logged so sportsmanship is still alive. I know where the main base of this tribe is but unless I go in with everything we have then we die. And risking everything does not seem like a good idea.

SUPER fun game I must say.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I have it on PS4 and have played a few times but I don’t know what in the world is happening

I managed to get far enough in to fashion some basic clothing and eat some grapes but died shortly after. Then the whole thing starts over and I’m back to punching trees with bare fist in a brand new location.

Surely I’m missing something? I probably need a tutorial or different game mode...
edit on 10-8-2018 by raedar because: Typo

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar

you need to make a small base to start off in. Then make a bed as soon as you can. This will allow you to spawn there every time you die. once you can build stone structures, convert your base to stone (most dinosaurs cannot break stone) so you will always have a safe space.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Thanks! I will try that and see if I can gain some traction

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: raedar

Thanks! I will try that and see if I can gain some traction

Also if you do decide to play for the long game then at the very least reach LVL5 before you log out. Play on a official server unless you have a buddy that is running a server. On official servers you never want a basic home near the beach but be careful of traveling away to make a base. Also as soon as possible train two Dino’s. One that travels faster than you and one that can fly. Essentially you want to be LVL15 before you can start making a “name” for yourself. Good luck and have fun man

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: raedar

You're not missing anything. It's just a very hardcore, unforgiving video game in which it's difficulty brings a hardcore feel about it like the days when most of not all video games had higher stakes upon death. It's not for the casual player or faint of heart.

Casually playing you could still get somewhere, it'll just take a lot longer and the stakes are even higher because when you play a few hours a day or every other day.. losing and starting over to gather resources is more trying. At least you don't lose engrams you learn throughout leveling though. Just gotta re-harvest stuff or hope you can get your body back.

Getting to a point to make chests to store stuff is obviously valuable, the expiration times on perishables is annoying as hell and even making a fermenter or whatever to slow the effect of expiration down is as challenging to make as gathering any other resource when you're being hunted by dinosaurs for their next meal.

Rewarding I suppose when you actually get somewhere with your time invested though. Personally I don't feel as if the money I spent on the game warrants me saying I got my money's worth.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   
That´s one of the former early access games with day one bugs not fixed, many promises made but not delivered, expensive DLC crap before the game is nearly finished, that usual early access "survival" game crap. One of the games that calls itself "survival" but there is no survival. Yes, you can build and craft stuff and if i remember right, you have to eat and drink. That´s survival?

With tamed dinos sticking everywhere, in rocks, the bottom, trees, dying then. Meanwhile with chinese gangs and lot´s of hackers on every server. When we bought it, we used our own server(only way to play online games with fun, only with people you can trust). Nevertheless we played around 20hrs and then, at least me, didn´t touch that crappy attempt of a game again. My buddy did some weeks ago and said it´s like the negative comments on Steam say, they added a lot of useless crap(like fantasy monsters instead of dinos, for example) but didn´t fix any problems that exist since day one.

Even Rust Vanilla runs better, has less bug and even is funnier to play than ARK(A Ripoff Komedy xD). And i don´t play Rust anymore too, because it´s just an early access attempt of a game, a demo. And has nothing in common with survival, same like ARK.

Don´t believe the Hype. I payed for it, full price when it was in early access(me idiot, but now it´s even double the price!) and i don´t play it anymore, because it´s really not worth. Playing should be fun and not anger about lazy, greedy devs and the next unpolished early access "survival" demo full of bugs and glitches that will never be fixed. But hey, at least you can by DLC´s for 95 Euros, in addition to the 60 Euros for that attempt of a game, done by hobby devs...

Can´t understand why so much people play that demo, not only Rust but even 7 Days to Die is more fun to play, less bugs and glitches. And that really means something, 7 Days to Die is one of the worst early access rip offs!

But that is only my opinion, as an owner of around 15 of these crappy early access "survival" games.

This is more of a warning for people who think about buying that demo, love yourself and your money and

DON`T BUY IT!

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

UMM I think you may have overlooked some updates that came to the game. Yes the game was bad at first but it is on the level of Minecraft. ARK is one of the best survival games to ever come out. And RUST is crap if you are going to compare it. Yes ARK online requires you to play with people you trust but offline or split screen it is very fun. So much can be done and is very satisfying to say the least.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

I agree it has more than it's share of bugs. But the game is damn fun to play, in my opinion. Once you get to a point the grind IS worth it.

top topics

join