It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Who Lost Limbs After He Was Licked by Dog Says He's Happy to Be Alive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Who would have thought that a person could become a paraplegic just by petting a wet dog and being licked ?

The 48-year-old father who lost his legs and hands from getting licked by a dog is bracing for more operations.

In addition, Greg Manteufel of Wisconsin told Inside Edition his nose is about to fall off.

“They told me my nose is mummified too, it is almost like a frostbite,” he said.

I remember a story of Navy guys being brought top side (WW2) for some sun and purposely rolling off the ship because they has lost their legs etc etc. Which has nothing to do with this story other than some would rather choose death than a life without important pieces of their bodies. Kudos to him for his positive outlook.

At the party, he says there were about five dogs swimming in a pond, and he pet them all.

His doctors believe he contracted bacteria from one of the dogs after it licked him.
“I ended up not washing my hands and rubbing my eye or my face and my mouth, somehow,” he recalled.

Mommy always said to wash your hands, No ?

Another thing I was totally unaware of is capnocytophaga canimorsus (the bug that ate him) It's found in 75 percent of dogs.... but.... transmission to humans is extremely rare...BUT.... The CDC in the states reported 12 cases last year..!!

Wow who would have thought ?

Growing up on a farm my dog and horse were some of my best friends as we did everything together.. I must admit though I never shared a meal with the dog until I was finished and he could have the rest... but we all swam in ponds a creeks together many many times.. and neither the dog or the horse were big on licking..
www.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I read about this a few days ago. It was horrifying. I've never seen anything like it. At first I didn't believe it but it's not like I have a better explanation.

I used to work in a hospital. They said there was a high suicide rate for people that lost their legs. Some of them were so despondent they were kept in the hospital longer just so they didn't go home and kill themselves. I don't know what the guy could do with no arms but I don't give him very good odds.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   

I'm allergic to dog saliva. My friends have been amazed watching hives appear on my arms right before their eyes.
I try to not let them lick but doggies gonna lick so I wash if they get me.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Best wishes to the man. That's a real tragic story.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
How unlucky would you have to be, 12 cases out of how many potential US dog lick recipients?
To me this sounds like there more going on then just getting rogue bacteria in your eye. Like maybe some synergistic effect with a pre-existing asymptomatic virus or a specific DNA type or something of that nature.
Its just sad that there will probably be an uptick in the number of dogs being abandoned from a story like this, regardless of the minute chance of infection.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   

C. canimorsus generally has low virulence in healthy individuals, but has been observed to cause severe illness in persons with pre-existing conditions.

en.wikipedia.org...

Something else is going on here and in my opinion, auto immune disorders are on the rise, for whatever reason.

We're constantly hearing more and more about the increase of deaths due to Sepsis, MRSA, and the resistance to antibiotics too.

edit on 9-8-2018 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

C. canimorsus generally has low virulence in healthy individuals, but has been observed to cause severe illness in persons with pre-existing conditions.

en.wikipedia.org...

Something else is going on here and in my opinion, auto immune disorders are on the rise, for whatever reason.

We're constantly hearing more and more about the increase of deaths due to Sepsis, MRSA, and the resistance to antibiotics too.

My wife came home the 12th of July from the hospital. 7 days in a coma, 10 days a ventilator

Long story lots of details before hand so I'll try to keep it short.

She went to bed feeling fine, two hours later I came to bed. She said a few things and didn't sound right. So I woke her up again, she said she was fine but sounded off a little. I have no idea why but I checked her temp. It was 104° . By the time we got to the hospital -20 minutes it was 105.7.

Sepsis, pneumonia, MRSA staff, bacteremia, and several complications.

She had two concurrent infections one, MRSA, and another which was in her blood stream.

They say that a lot of people carry MRSA staff. Almost all hospital workers carry MRSA but it is opportunistic. It has to A) have a way in(wound scrape etc). B) usually a person has to be run down or have a compromised immune system for it to actually cause any problems.

I'm not sure of the second bacteria. I know it was a separate type and took a specific antibiotic.

We're both in good shape, eat well, under 50 etc. The only possible maybe... 5 weeks before she had some dental work done. That's a long incubation so it's doubtful.

All of that to get to the point. During her stay I met no less than 5 people visiting different patients who had come in for a surgery or procedure and were back either in the ICU or emergency room for MRSA infections. Infections contracted at the same place you'd go for treatment. I think at least MRSA is more prevalent than were led to believe.

I'm lucky to have her here today with all her facilities intact and recovering.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Osirisvset

How unlucky would you have to be, 12 cases out of how many potential US dog lick recipients?

I worked in an animal shelter for several years. Forget *licking*. If it came out of a dog, I ended up getting it on me.
Plus, the place was leaky and would flood in a bad rain. I could tell stories that'd make a clean freak panic.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Lykan

I think at least MRSA is more prevalent than were led to believe.

I absolutely believe that as well. I did a lot of research on it after my 58 year-old friend died a sudden death brought on by MRSA back in 2014. I think it only took 10 days from the time he went to the hospital before he passed away. Same characteristics as your wife. Friends were visiting when he started speaking incoherently. They think that MRSA entered his bloodstream through a bunch of mosquito bites he had on his legs.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I have a question for you. Do you happen to live near a large body of water, whether it's an ocean or the Great Lakes?

When I started doing research on "Community Associated" cases of MRSA, I thought I was recognizing a pattern. Right now it looks like the CDC is only tracking MRSA in 8 states and all but one are located right on a coastline.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Dog licks are actually supposed to be good for wounds.
I learned this from my sister who lives in South Carolina.
She said her red neck neighbors suggested that she
let a dog lick her son's wound that was not healing well.
She said it worked.
Here's a link that describes the history of the practice:
www.psychologytoday.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I have a question for you. Do you happen to live near a large body of water, whether it's an ocean or the Great Lakes?

When I started doing research on "Community Associated" cases of MRSA, I thought I was recognizing a pattern. Right now it looks like the CDC is only tracking MRSA in 8 states and all but one are located right on a coastline.

I contracted MRSA from a mosquito bite on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean (NC, Outer Banks) if that helps your research.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Thanks, that does help! My friend lived in Maine near the ocean.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

People have become addicted to cleanliness. All dirt, bacteria and germs are banished and chemicals applied liberally to ensure they stay banished.
Once upon a time people were constantly exposed to these things that their immune system would easily overcome and as such they built up a strong resistance.
Many bodily systems go into "stasis" when unneeded and with a sterile environment the immune system has little to fight against, with nothing to to it is weakened to the point of disability.
Basically I believe the immune systems of these "clean freaks" and their offspring are very weak from a lifetime of little to no use/exercise.
As a consequence allergies, cancers, infections and the like face very little resistance, there are no active antibodies to crush invaders and its only getting worse.
Moral of the story is let your kids eat mud pies and ignore the constant antigerm hysterics.
Your body knows what its doing.
edit on 9-8-2018 by Osirisvset because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
And people let dogs lick their mouth.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

When i was a child, when anyone would cut themselves, my wee granny used to always say "let the dog lick it and the wound will heal faster".

Old wife's tale may be, but i dont think she was aware that this could happen.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Lykan, I am curious, you said you’re wife had dental work 5 weeks prior to becoming ill. Was she given the antibiotic Clindamycin? There are websites dedicated to the dangers of this drug?

As far as MRSA and other infectious diseases being on the rise; has anyone ever really watched how hospitals are cleaned nowadays; not well IMO.

I got c-diff from Clindamycin given to me before laporospic knee surgery; there were a couple of things I noticed. The anithesiologist who took care of my surgery had long acrylic nails (which are germ beds imo).

Then when I was hospitalized with the c-diff, one of the nurses would come into my room without gloving up or wearing a gown (which is an absolute requirement when dealing with c-diff); she also stabbed me with the heparin shots like it was pin the tail on the donkey.

Hospitals are gross. So are ponds. Pestilence everywhere 😟

God bless this poor man and your wife.

edit on 9-8-2018 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Just make sure he licks his balls and butt first.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

And people let dogs lick their mouth.

Sometimes, because I'm a well-trained owner, I'll even gak up some dinner for them after I let them lick me.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Osirisvset
To me this sounds like there more going on then just getting rogue bacteria in your eye. Like maybe some synergistic effect with a pre-existing asymptomatic virus or a specific DNA type or something of that nature.
Its just sad that there will probably be an uptick in the number of dogs being abandoned from a story like this, regardless of the minute chance of infection.

Compromised immune system or maybe diabetic with varying levels of blood acidity. There is the story of Mark Tatum who got Mucormycosis from renovating a house with black mold.

emblog.mayo.edu...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join