It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Is a Lot Easier to Act Presidential than to Do What I do

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The easiest criticism of Donald Trump is that he is not presidential. This is true from the perspective of any glance. When his conduct or his speech is compared to that of any other president, it differs from anything we’ve seen before. It’s unstatesmanlike, unpredictable, and in the context of the stuffy, stifled and subdued solemnity of political theatre, utterly hilarious. What is not clear is how this is a bad thing.

Exodus 23:2 is evidence that insight can be found in the most unlikely of places. Even billionaire, playboy politicians can muster a gem. Defending against the unpresidential criticism at a recent rally, Donald Trump managed to forge a piece of wisdom from the cauldron of his bumbling words:

“Remember, I said—when I'd be a little bit wild, and we'd have a lot of fun—they'd say, ‘He's not acting presidential,’ and I'd say, ‘Well, it's a lot easier to act presidential than to do what I do.’ Anybody can act presidential.”

He said this before mimicking the prepared and robotic delivery of the stereotypical politician to a cheering crowd.

He’s right. Anyone can act presidential. But because Harrison Ford can act like the perfect statesman (see: Air Force One) does not mean we would want him as the leader of the United States. Acting skills, a penchant for political correctness, public relations, the ability to change accents according to the location any given speech is delivered, and so on – all of these say more to the deceptive qualities of a politician rather than to her leadership skills.

Maybe that’s what people want after all: an actor who plays the role of father figure or king. Maybe they yearn for a pope, someone who will sneak out and wash the feet of the poor or console the infirm. As the heated coverage of the current “climate” testifies, they most definitely want rhetoric that appeals to their emotions and flatters them in the eyes of the rest of the world. What they want is someone who makes them feel good.

But that is all romantic woolgathering. What they need is someone who will make the difficult decisions for them, perhaps even to kill if necessary. What they need is someone who can deal with dictators, despots, and allies alike, as if they were real people, not fellow actors on a stage. What they need is someone willing to forgo the charades, that dazzling act of petty politics, the idealistic approach to a pragmatic world which serves only to console the snobs among us.

Anyone can act presidential. Anyone can refuse themselves in favour of propping up some caricature, so long as it is approved by a cynical press. But it takes a bit more fortitude to do what Donald Trump does.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Makes Ronald Reagan look like the most intellectual human being ever

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

Makes Ronald Reagan look like the most intellectual human being ever

I'm not sure "intellectual" is a great quality in a president any more. We've already had a litany of lawyers and ivy-league presidents over the last couple decades. Cerebral types like to sit on their throne in the furniture of their own mind, but not much else.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Words

I'd like a president that wasn't a giant asshole.
Would be nice

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

You're right. Trump proves beyond a shadow of a doubt you don't need to act Presidential to be the President. You just have to tell people what they want to hear (no matter how insane or unrealistic) and be showman doing it.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Would be nice

Like I said, most want someone who makes them feel better.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You're right. Trump proves beyond a shadow of a doubt you don't need to act Presidential to be the President. You just have to tell people what they want to hear (no matter how insane or unrealistic) and be showman doing it.

I suppose you're lamenting the fact that he isn't saying things you want to hear?

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is the first non-politician President.

He can’t be expected to be a polished liar.

This is what DC gets for forgetting who they work for.

Nobody likes Trump. That’s why we sent him.

Deal with this DC...So far its been a blast.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Well I think you made two perfect distinctions between what people want and what people need. I think that your right that people want someone who maybe an actor see Ronal Reagan. people want someone who belongs in movies, See Arnold governor of California See JFK.

But what people need is someone who is able to remain calm under stressful times. make a decision for good or for evil. Be resolute and confident in the decision making.

edit on 8-8-2018 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

You the authority on this then?

Why can't the president do the things you mention and I don't know, not be a giant dick?

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Trump gets sh*t done instead of worrying about theory or procedure. This is the difference between an entrepreneur who has run businesses/built things versus egg head policy wonks.

On a construction site, no one is concerned with your feelings or that you got dirt under your nails. They just want whatever job done.

I knew Trump was not "polished" going in.

Obama was all polish...

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Would be nice

I just want a president who stops blowing money oversees on failing wars.... I won't hold my breath.

Obama was a great speaker, I'll give him that, but his adopted and re branded Bush foreign policy made me dislike him as much as the man before him.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

Well I think you made two perfect distinctions between what people want and what people need. I think that your right that people want someone who maybe an actor see Ronal Reagan. people want someone who belongs in movies, See Arnold governor of California See JFK.

But what people need is someone who is able to remain calm under stressful times. make a decision for good or for evil. Be resolute and confident in the decision making.

This is harsh, but we need people who will be willing to kill for us, to send people's children to war if need be, to make the toughest decisions imaginable.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

You the authority on this then?

Why can't the president do the things you mention and I don't know, not be a giant dick?

In a world full of dicks you don't want to send in a pussy.

+8 more 
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Good thing we all saved you from Hillary....

link   

originally posted by: Words

I suppose you're lamenting the fact that he isn't saying things you want to hear?

Yeah what can I say? I happen to like hearing truths, inclusive rhetoric, and not being told I'm a traitor to my country for supporting certain politics.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Giant Dick? That was Hillarys husband Bill Acting Presidential.....

link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

What sucks is that Trump is neither of those things.

link   

Only 2 options then?

link   

originally posted by: Words

Yeah what can I say? I happen to like hearing truths, inclusive rhetoric, and not being told I'm a traitor to my country for supporting certain politics.

I suppose you might need to pick and choose between good words and good results.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join