It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Journey through Comedy. The Early Years.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
There's been a lot of talk lately on what is funny. Or what YOU find funny. It got me thinking about what I have found funny over the years. My first reckonings are Gilligan's Island, Get Smart, Beverly Hillbillies, etc. Loved them at the time. I don't now but still have fond memories. I outgrew them. At the same time I also watched cartoons. Between Hanna Barbera and Warner brother my Sat. morning was covered. I still kinda like the Flintstones, Jetsons, etc. but I still watch Looney Tunes, more than just Bugs Bunny.

When I was about 10 I heard Bill Cosby and he grabbed me right away. His use of the mike for effect and his storytelling made me mini roar.

I bought up every album he put out into the 80's. I'd play them on my turntable for hours. It was like listening to old time radio show. Those were good times.

About a year later I got my British Invasion thanks to Mom and PBS.

I found Alfred E Newman about this time. So many talented artists. The folding back cover. The ridiculous premises of the cartoons. My introduction to "in your face" political comedy. Didn't know it at the time. I looked forward to every issue. I didn't mention Spy vs Spy?

Right on the heals of that I found Nirvana:

Not only funny as hell but what he said made sense. It still does today. I quote him damn near every day.

1974 was another great year. The unabashed comedy of Mel Brooks. There were no rules for him. Nothing taboo. He pushed the limit as far as Carlin and did it in a way that also made you think.

Or just outright nuttiness:

I still get chuckle through the day from his humor. Maybe by just seeing a yogurt.
Things didn't slow down. 1975 gave me Saturday Night Live. SO many greats in one arena. There were characters for everyone. Chevy Chases' Ford or the Samurai... whatever.
Random silliness like Land Shark were rife. Who can forget "No Coke. Pepsi"? I think I'll have a cheeseburger for supper.
Comedians were drawn to the show and did guest hosting. Carlin was the first. Steve Martin as well. I bought two of his albums. NOW we're talking serious silliness.

Well that's the early years. There were further influences entering puberty. No, not what you're thinking. I mean like Cheech and Chong.
That's for another day.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I saw the Lifelong Passion when it came out and really couldn't come up with a topic. I really wracked my brain over it for weeks. I thought of this today and just thought I'd share it. If nothing else it's cathartic.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

What? No slip on a banana peel or pie to the face?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
My first time seeing comedy was when my grandmother watched old re-runs of The Three Stooges. I loved them, but looking back, the were very quaint.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Did the British invasion ever include Tommy Cooper? A funny stage magician- or rather, a stand-up comedian using a chaotic magic act as an extended prop.
The kind of man who made people start laughing just by walking out and standing on the stage.

"I was cleaning out the attic the other day.
The wife was helping me.
Filthy dirty, covered in cobwebs.
But she's good with the kids.
And what we found there was this- a Rembrandt and a Stradivarius" (producing violin and painting).
Think of that- a Rembrandt and a Stradivarius.
The only trouble is... " (beginning to attack the one with the other)
That Stradivarius couldn't paint to save his life.
And Rembrandt made rotten violins".
I recited that one from memory, but it's probably in the attached clip.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Whatchu talking about Willis?

Bugs Bunny is still funny.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I didn't laugh until the age of about 18 months my parents thought I was odd until they saw me giggling at this.

Trump jokes are always funny.
edit on 25-7-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-7-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

You know what would be really funny? A grown man being chased by vicious waterfowl and running away like a pansy.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I loved watching the youngones as a kid youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ah yes the "Incident" is now known as "The Day of The Goose" it will be shown in detail in the upcoming mini series of my life starring Jonny Depp.
I can't wait to see the other scene with Jonny which can be called another "incident" in where I'm consoling a small fat naked crying chinese man saying "there there it is okay you can still go shopping on Tuesdays"....it was a moment where I really thought WTF am I doing with my life.....a life defining moment.
The background music will be something like this....

It will be Golden Globe winning stuff.
edit on 26-7-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I still say Bill Bailey is THE modern comedic genius. Doesn't rely on profanity, politics, religion.

Just plain ol' goofy greatness. If I were a midget viking shield maiden with one short leg, I'd marry him.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Awesome collection of vids. I know what I'm doing until I fall asleep.

I got my start in the late 80s with stuff like SpaceBalls. Got really into Monty Python for a while then onto SNL and later Family Guy (hate to say) and now I'm boring...I don't laugh anymore.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   

# eh, there's actually a reason I understand your posts.. I had a similar upbringing...

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Yes, yes. All these comics are great in their own rite.

In the 1960's I hear "The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart" and have enjoyed his narrative comedy ever since. If you ever get the opportunity to bring it up in you tube, give it e listen.

top topics

join