It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is American and who is not?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Yes, the name of the Continent is North, Central, and South America but there are multiple countries within the Americas Just like Africa is a continent that has multiple countries.
The USA is, say it out loud, The "United STATES of America.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Huh? No they (mostly) just call anyone against US Foreign Policy (in particular that I tend to notice) as "Anti-American". Note that "US Foreign Policy" is the policy of the Federal Government (which is some ruthless quazi-dictorial anti-democracy creature bought and paid for by multinational corporations [but hardly a way to bring that dovetail into perspective at this juncture without digressing far beyond the point]).

Following the "Anti-American" style vernacular, I did a whole 'rant' (in my July 4th OP)about how being against a political party / politicians / their policies isnt to be against the nation itself.

And now that we've taken into account how multi-national corporations own the Federal Government...
Its a funny thing actually, as these Democrat types for the most part are all about "American Imperialism" just like the "Republican" voter types... and since Obama they now fully wholeheartedly embrace the multinational corporatist corporations (in particular their Globalist agenda)... at least if we take the open borders debate out of the discussion, who would actually be the most "Anti-American" (following the logic I'm revealing) would be a big cross section of todays Trumps supporters, as at least they strive to argue against the bulk of the programming the multinational corporate policies are the most geared towards.

It should all be the biggest laughing stock of our era now, perhaps, if not all the twists and turns to be found in a full analysis of potential angles that this "American" jingoism has done to US.

edit on 13-7-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: WarriorMH

Why does it matter?

I would guess it became the United States of America because in the beginning there were a bunch of colonies that all had different names and some were even founded by different European nations. However, they declared their independence and fought for it and won.

The 13 separate colonies knew they would not last as separate nation states on their own so they banded together. In recognition of fact that they intended to remain more or less independent states within on united whole entity, they called their new republic the United of States of America (they likely chose the last because they were located on America). It became the name of the new federated entity, a constitutional republic that knit those original 13 states together and today comprised the 50 we currently have.

I am guessing Mexico followed our model in their own founding and naming which is why the are the United States of Mexico although I'm not sure where the Mexico part of the name was selected from.

And I've never studied Canada's history that closely to know about them.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: highvein
When I say America, I am usually referring to the U.S. because the U.S is the seat of power in all of America.

So if Brazil becomes the dominant force here in the New World -whenever-, should, well, argh, lol, what do we call ourselves then?

Murica!

No , they would still call themselves Brazilian .
We would still be Americans
Life would continue
Lame hypothetical scenario...
Should have already have know the answer yourself
Oh wait , with the use of "Murica", that lowered the chances exponentially...

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

No, I had a fairly good education then sought more through travel and readng. It takes a lifetime of learning and even then any understanding of the way the world organizes itself can still be confusing; it is constantly changing.

So, again, this is your journey-if you truly wish to understand the workings of so complex a question, it is your responsiblity to spend your lifetime reading, educating and travelng if you can.

You won't find answers by ruffling the ATS members; most of whom are quite worldly and always searching and questioning for answers. Your comments show you do have "some" education and enjoy the back and forth to make scholars like Schuyler northing but annoyed.

I wont comment further. You enjoy your trolling too much for ATS to be bothered with.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: xBWOMPx
Yes, the name of the Continent is North, Central, and South America but there are multiple countries within the Americas Just like Africa is a continent that has multiple countries.
The USA is, say it out loud, The "United STATES of America.

But that was the confusion to begin with

"of" America

But Mexico is also "United Stated of Mexico", which exists inside North America, the same region as the "United States of America" which also happens to exist inside the North America region, inside the American continent

So America inside America and no one can say why only says "well this how it is and shut up"

What i'm saying is that i have seen lots of maps in other countries that don't specify the continent as "The Americas" but just as "America" in a global way, and then it is separated into regions based on geography, north, central and south, but the continent is named "America" and so everyone is American if they were born here but it is not at all like that

I'm thank full for your reply i just want to learn how it is actually this way and not just because i says so replies or people getting offended and patriotic, i even said that at first just because that's all i could find on the web and i got nothing but wasted time because no one seems to know "how" it really came to be

I tried to be very clear on my first post but seems i failed miserably by how some people have replied. I just don't know why every single time i tried to learn more about your culture someone has to come insult or spit on me or tell me i'm a troll, honestly why. Is just a question, if someone doesn't know the answer they could just ignore or say so but no, they have to put people down or feel offended

I'm sorry i'm just going out or thought here

Thanks for your reply i'll continue to look into this

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

This is weirdly like making some claim that someone from Kenya and someone from Botswana are both from African, both African, but the one calls himself a Kenyan while the other calls himself a Botswanan. However, it seems the OP wants us to think there is some sort of chauvanism or oppression involved in the identifier as if Democratic Republic of the Congo was actually called African nations of the Congo and all people from there called themselves Africans which seemed to "steal" or "appropriate" that identifier from the Kenyan and Botswanan.

It's like a weird SJW vibe to it.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarriorMH

Okay if our term'isms were to hold true, "we're" part of the UN. Following the same logic of sovereigns united taking on the name of the federal'esque unity, we should actually be calling ourselves "Nationians" (and so should every other person under the framework). I've never even seen a leftist attempt this logic. LOL

The United Nations? that's not a continent or country or anything like that

You don't live inside the UN, you don't have a UN born certificate or anything like that or do you?

What is a "Country"?

I call jingoism on the word itself, in such a context.

Actually, basically everyone lives inside the UN.

A concept that was always an extension of the concept of our own "Federal Government Model'.

And here's the important part: Each "State" in the "US" is supposed to be a sovereign. Right? Except they've all ratified the 'US Federal Government' "Constitution". Right? That means its the LAW OF THE LAND. Well guess what, when the US Federal Government signs a treaty with another state / federation, that treaty becomes the Law of the Land too!

Now if you doubt the logic, go look up all those national park whatevers that the UN has claimed. "Cultural Heritage Site" is (I think) but one of the terms they have for such 'claims'.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Why does it matter?Why does it matter?

Because i want to knooooooooooooooow why

I'm going to become stupid and ignore everyone and everything from now on, looks like a better way to live from what i can see here

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

This is weirdly like making some claim that someone from Kenya and someone from Botswana are both from African, both African, but the one calls himself a Kenyan while the other calls himself a Botswanan. However, it seems the OP wants us to think there is some sort of chauvanism or oppression involved in the identifier as if Democratic Republic of the Congo was actually called African nations of the Congo and all people from there called themselves Africans which seemed to "steal" or "appropriate" that identifier from the Kenyan and Botswanan.

They are from their country but they are from the African continent

You keep thinking the wrong thing about me, i'm asking one thing and your mind keeps going in a different direction

Anyway thanks for your reply

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Well maybe it looks like you should go study the history of various countries. Generally speaking, you will find out why they are named what they are named.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Maybe it's because you aren't making your argument very clearly.

If you had simple history questions, you have an entire internet to go look around on. The answers will be there.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein
When I say America, I am usually referring to the U.S. because the U.S is the seat of power in all of America.

So if Brazil becomes the dominant force here in the New World -whenever-, should, well, argh, lol, what do we call ourselves then?

Murica!

Good question. I guess Brazil would receive the title, if they wanted it.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I'm not getting through, people are dense, i am not a hundred years old i'm sorry, i'm stupid because i wasn't born in whatever stupid country in this continent, this is retarded

Here, let me show you what i mean, in any map from the U.S. America is one country but "The Americas" is the continent, but on this map from ABC America is the continent that is divided into 3 regions

El continente americano

And here's the English translation, check how it clearly says "American continent" and "America" as the entire continent

translate.google.com... o-763215.html&edit-text=&act=url

And there it explains after the image that there are 3 regions, north, central and south in "American continent"

Why is this hard to get, i'm trying to understand how it came to be that the names are so mixed up and who and when it happened and how people understand it because it does not make any sense

Instead of clear answers i get idiotic replies like "troll" and "uneducated" because i don't follow your idea of how the world works.

I want to get to a real answer not patriotic idioticy thank you

Spasiba, arigatou, thank you, gracias
edit on 13-7-2018 by WarriorMH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Maybe it's because you aren't making your argument very clearly.

If you had simple history questions, you have an entire internet to go look around on. The answers will be there.

I'm sorry i'm trying my best i don't know English as well as i would like to. I have replied again with a link to what i found on the web about this particular issue i'm asking about, maybe it will help better

But no i went to look for this and all i found were the same things as here, people getting crazy mad about someone questioning why the U.S. is also "America" and no one able to explain how or why it happened while denying that the continent is also named the same.

I just want to understand the reasoning behind all the names, not blame or idiotic things like "political" or "trolling" or whatever sick minded people assume, but it seems impossible to do

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

No, I had a fairly good education then sought more through travel and readng. It takes a lifetime of learning and even then any understanding of the way the world organizes itself can still be confusing; it is constantly changing.

So, again, this is your journey-if you truly wish to understand the workings of so complex a question, it is your responsiblity to spend your lifetime reading, educating and travelng if you can.

You won't find answers by ruffling the ATS members; most of whom are quite worldly and always searching and questioning for answers. Your comments show you do have "some" education and enjoy the back and forth to make scholars like Schuyler northing but annoyed.

I wont comment further. You enjoy your trolling too much for ATS to be bothered with.

I'm trying to understand a lot of things here and i asked because i did not find anything but idiotic things on the web about this issue, i thought since lots of people here are from the U.S. maybe they would know but it looks like it is easier to spit on me because i am not american or whatever the name is

In any case i'm tired of this now, i just assumed that people would understand but clearly it is not like that so i'm just dumping this and let it go

I don't troll that's dumb and stupid, i try to be clear as much as possible but i can see that most people treat anything they don't like as trolling and that's way worse than if i was doing the troll thing

This got dumb, i though i would at least find someone who actually knew about this but all i got was the same thing i got on the internet "because it is so shutup!"

Way to go

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

It's not as complicated as you want to make it. Our country is called "The United States of America", and is commonly shortened to just "America". Yes, shares this with the name of the continents, but when discussing one's origin, most people tend to speak of the country, not the continent. No other country uses the name, so people from here are properly labeled as "Americans". Same as people from other countries are called related names.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Yahtzee!

That's exactly what I see here; someone whining about the very name of our country, because "wah". Whole thing is ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

It's not as complicated as you want to make it. Our country is called "The United States of America", and is commonly shortened to just "America". Yes, shares this with the name of the continents, but when discussing one's origin, most people tend to speak of the country, not the continent. No other country uses the name, so people from here are properly labeled as "Americans". Same as people from other countries are called related names.

Honestly, no one get it, you call yourselves that but "WHY" in the first place, did you see this link i posted, it looks like you are told one thing but the rest of the world knows another thing and you just can't get it, you are too much inside the picture to actually being able to reason it

www.abc.com.py...

Translate that to english if possible please

Once again i would like to explain, i know nothing about your culture, i'm trying to learn. Telling me off or calling me stupid, uneducated, troll or whatever only shows the opposite, i tried to learn your culture and see things from your point of view but if all i get is that then i think there is nothing good to learn

i don't know anything and every single time i ask something i get spits or insults so it looks like it was a mistake assuming there were good things to learn and it would be fun, i'm sorry i know not everyone is like that but so far it looks like 99% americans wish to act like this.

On the opposite side, every single guy i met from the UK has been a different story, nice and able to discuss without getting all defensive, they nice and helpful and why can't you just assume i really don't know and want to understand instead of all kicking me down and spitting on me just because i dared to ask something that you find uneasy to explain based on your education?

People should not be like that and i am tired of having arguments like this every single time i ask something i don't get.

Please stop assuming the world sees things the same way you do based on your own eyes and knowledge, it does not work like that. What is this?

Evil Russians and all stupid things, spies under your bed!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join