It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris Johnson quits to add to pressure on May over Brexit

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
Boris for PM?.

Not much chance of that ever happening, not after the total dog's breakfast he made of being Foreign Secretary.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

MEGA.

It has a familiar ring about it......do you think it could catch on?

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

A familiar ring? No idea what you mean.

It's a crazy enough idea that it might just work.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
According to the Guardian May has ridden out the 1922 Committee meeting. Apparently they agreed that the prospect of a Jeremy Corbyn-led government was sufficiently terrifying to mean that they have to support her.
Unless 48 rebels can come up with a motion of no-confidence it's possible that she might survive a bit longer.
So far it looks like Boris jumped without really needing to. I have severe doubts about his basic political skills at this stage.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

There's an interesting insight in an opinion piece somewhere :
Boris is only in 'it' ('it' being anything with a modicum of power attached) for Boris

The thinking goes, that by cowardly resigning shortly after David Davis,
the pressure on May becomes intolerable, leading to, at the very least,
a vote of confidence and at best, a leadership challenge

Boris thinks he would make a great leader
Tory rank and file, however, have disowned him !
He's put himself in political limbo

Any bets on Boris creating an all new "Brexit Party" ?

I personally wouldn't be surprised

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I might have spoken a bit too soon. A PPS to Chris Grayling (possibly the must useless Transport Minister ever) has resigned.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
I might have spoken a bit too soon. A PPS to Chris Grayling (possibly the must useless Transport Minister ever) has resigned.

That's Chris Green, not Chris Grayling.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Erm, that's what I meant. Chris Green is the PPS to Grayling. Green has quit.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I had no confidence in this government to actually know what they are supposed to be doing. The default position by Davies seemed to be to not really negotiate with the EU and it will be alright in the end.

I don't believe the Tories know what it is they want from Brexit never mind the electorate.
edit on 9/7/2018 by mirageman because: ...

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Boris Johnson was never for Brexit, it was all about a career move for him.

There has to be a new Tory leader now and there'll be a challenge to the validity of the Brexit vote.

I'm a firm supporter of Brexit but even I recognise that this government has put us into a situation where it is currently impossible to negotiate with the EU from a strong position.

The EU and the Remoaners hold most of the cards at present.

David Cameron resigning stalled Brexit negotiations, May spent months dragging her heels and doing absolutely nothing.
It's been a farce from the beginning.
Despite the wishes of the British people they've never wanted us to leave the EU and they will do anything and everything possible to stop us from doing so.

So the government doesn’t want Brexit despite the people voting to do so? I plead ignorance on the subject of Brexit, so please explain the exodus of these politicians.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: Freeborn
Boris Johnson was never for Brexit, it was all about a career move for him.

There has to be a new Tory leader now and there'll be a challenge to the validity of the Brexit vote.

I'm a firm supporter of Brexit but even I recognise that this government has put us into a situation where it is currently impossible to negotiate with the EU from a strong position.

The EU and the Remoaners hold most of the cards at present.

David Cameron resigning stalled Brexit negotiations, May spent months dragging her heels and doing absolutely nothing.
It's been a farce from the beginning.
Despite the wishes of the British people they've never wanted us to leave the EU and they will do anything and everything possible to stop us from doing so.

So the government doesn’t want Brexit despite the people voting to do so? I plead ignorance on the subject of Brexit, so please explain the exodus of these politicians.

No-one has been able to really explain how it's going to work.
No-one has been able to explain where all these new trade deals to replace the Single Market are going to come from.
No-one has been able to explain why it is that we are being held to a vote that happened more than two years ago, about which many have now changed their minds (if it was held again today 'Remain' would win, according to polling).

Brexit was the great cherished hope of a large faction of the Conservative Party. So far it has divided the party like nothing else in living memory and showed up May as being weak, incompetent and unlucky. This is because the business community hates Brexit with a passion. They love the Single Market. They hate the fact that we'd be pulling out of it with nothing concrete negotiated.

link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Erm, that's what I meant. Chris Green is the PPS to Grayling. Green has quit.

I misread your thread. Apologies.

link   
a reply to: mirageman

Thanks to Cameron, he's left his Tory pals one hell of a turdburger to sort out...

When the book and the film come out, in 20 years time ;=)

We'll discover that once it dawned on May,
that everything UK/EU is sooo intimately intertwined
as to be utterly impossible to tidily undo again,
she threw her hands up in despair and said

"fcku it ! We'll throw the dice and take it from there"

And that would explain everything

There's Rolling coverage Bbc & Here
edit on 9-7-2018 by Cassi3l because: House cleaning

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
You Brits don't have all the glam and glitz in your politics that the US seems to have...but by God if it isn't interesting regardless.

I hope you guys get the Brexit. Merkle's got issues in Germany, Italy has issued an ultimatum, and Hungary has moved full nationalist. Europe is going to get pretty heated pretty quick.

It's all a chain of issues that are inter-related. UK sold out many industries in the past (fishing, coal-mining, steelmaking, shipbuilding). Mainly because the government couldn't afford to subsidize industries where our competitors in the Far East had a cost of living a third of ours, and their own governments were subsidizing their industries.

Then the EU had a resource grab on our fishing industries. We find out that has been giving German industry thousands of jobs. Long distance trucking and freight haul has been taken by Eastern Europeans.

Merkels issues are to do with the 1 million "refugees" that were invited in, the majority of which aren't from troubled countries and don't particularly want to work either. Her only solution is to disperse them across Europe. But every country now has problems, especially those on the Mediterranean who are being bankrupted by the cost of feeding and caring for the refugees (£45,000 per individual) as well as the tax-dodging of the elites and taking the money out of the country before the government grabs savings and pensions.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Who is Sajid Javid?

Another question from the ignorant Yank... At what point does the Queen begin to play a roll in this frufrah, or does she even have a roll, anymore?

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: eletheia

Who is Sajid Javid?

Another question from the ignorant Yank... At what point does the Queen begin to play a roll in this frufrah, or does she even have a roll, anymore?

Home Secretary. It's one of the major ministries.
As for the Queen, she plays no role until legislation needs to be signed. Not unless the Government collapses and whoever is unlucky enough to be PM at the time needs to call an election and asks for a dissolution.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

No-one has been able to explain why it is that we are being held to a vote that happened more than two years ago, about which many have now changed their minds (if it was held again today 'Remain' would win, according to polling). 

I'm yet to meet a Brexiteer that has changed their mind...

Good luck with your polls...

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Really? I know at least three.
And yes, I know, polls can be iffy. That said recent polls and other reporting (here) as well as yet more polling here, opinions seem to have shifted.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Really? I know at least three.
And yes, I know, polls can be iffy. That said recent polls and other reporting (here) as well as yet more polling here, opinions seem to have shifted.

Well the propaganda is either too strong for these few or you're inventing the story.

Either way, I'm yet to see anyone change their mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join