It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marchers in Gun-Free Chicago Shut Down Major Expressway to Protest Guns.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

It seems that the great majority of marchers stayed in designated areas. After some entered the expressway, police shut it down, then more protestors entered.

But Pfleger and protesters insisted there was no agreement and that they would shut down the entire northbound roadway, with Pfleger noting the city closes major roads for parades and other occasions. The crowd began creeping into other lanes -- a situation Pfleger said had the potential to become dangerous.

Illinois State Police, which has jurisdiction over expressways, announced around 11:30 a.m. that they were shutting down all northbound lanes of the expressway. Protesters then began walking northbound along a roughly 1.5-mile route.
www.cbsnews.com...

But yes, blocking traffic is probably counterproductive.

link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: neo96

Just EXACTLY what are those IDIOTS protesting?
Gun violence. Are you in favor of gun violence?

As opposed to what? Knife violence, delivery vehicle violence, moped violence, sword violence? Its almost like you are attributing the violence to the object used to convey personal choices instead of the individual themselves.

What are they suggesting here? A true resolution in finding out why these individuals commit the violence or a feel good measure of eliminating the object used that will just be replaced by another object.

Maybe it is time we find out WHY these individuals are committing the violence to begin with and not distracting the conversation to the object being used?

link   

Come on Phage you wake up on the wrong side of the bed again?

Disrupting legal guns is just adding fuel to the illegal gun market, the guns aren't the problem.

link   
So Jackson is broke and fundraising again. Got to keep those women of his housed and in luxury. The more Jackson helps, the worse it gets, so there is that.

Blocking highways is not protest, its just plain old fashioned criminal bad behavior and if Jackson is in charge, it's about his wallet, not guns.

You block a highway, you also block emergency vehicles putting the public at risk, you deny everyone on the highway their rights and you look like a horses ....................................

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

While not in favor of gun violence, I am in favor of prosecuting the bangers who are illegally possessing and using guns to shoot other bangers (and innocent bystanders). Of course then Chicago would have to admit they have a gang problem...which isn’t likely to hapoen anytime soon. Does anyone really think that if guns are outlawed, these bangers (and other criminals) are turning in their guns? I think Chicago has proven quite the opposite.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

Maybe it is time we find out WHY these individuals are committing the violence to begin with and not distracting the conversation to the object being used?
I agree. But guns do seem to play a dominant role in homicides. That should be looked into.
www.cdc.gov...

edit on 7/7/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
Ban Handguns,

Allow everything else...

Sorry, but I'd rather have something a little bigger to scare off riffraff

We'd also see, that it's not the case of legal guns on the street being the issue, the issue is the illegal guns in gang hands defending turf without the care of those around them, and the issue of how cops have grown tired of that, some to the point of being apathetic and racist and causing a deeper issue.

It's rarely the legal guns that lead to the bulk of issues, the recent school shooting crap is a different story is is a result of legal guns, but that's less a gun issue and more a mental health issue and poor gun ownership an lack of gunsafe an biometrics.

Loss of life is preventable, but so is stupid.

And what about those of us who carry concealed in this state?? I appreciate the confidence, but I can't fit a AR down my pants and not look conspicuous. Why should I give up the Right to protect myself and my family when we go out, so a few gang bangers in Chiraq can just ignore the law, the way they always have. More gun laws is not the answer. If it were, Illinois would be one of the safest places on the planet.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

I am in favor of prosecuting the bangers who are illegally possessing and using guns to shoot other bangers (and innocent bystanders).

I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of the protestors would be in favor of that as well.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Maybe the way to end gun violence in Chicago is to distribute more guns instead of trying to keep the guns away from the criminals.

You will run out of criminals eventually.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

From the article you linked:

But it's not true that Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the country. At one point, it did have much tougher laws — it had banned handguns in the city limits, but a 2008 Supreme Court ruling declared that ban unconstitutional, and a 2010 ruling reaffirmed that. The city also had had a gun registry program since 1968, but ended it in 2013 when the state passed a law allowing the concealed carry of weapons.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Phage

Very tough gun laws in Chicago.

www.npr.org...

Why would that matter when you can drive a few hours and the laws are totally different regarding gun purchases. I'm all for more gun regulation... country wide. The only way that matters.

The whole "Chicago has so much gun violence so gun regulation doesn't work" is a pathetic argument when they are a few hours away with far less regulation. Besides... that argument is rooted in much creepier things than gun rights.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Trying to contemplate a comparative meme for this one...

...working...

...working...

...I might just be at a loss.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I agree. But guns do seem to play a dominant role in homicides. That should be looked into.
www.cdc.gov...

Why, what would that solve?

That thought pattern appears to still place the blame on the object and not the individual. Will that accomplish anything?

Wouldn't it be better to understand the behavior itself instead of heading down a direction that will only confuse the situation and lengthen the resolution time?

Why are there vast swaths of america that possess a large number of these awful 'guns' that don't have similar crime/murder statistics?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

I'm all for more gun regulation... country wide.

Yeah...that'll work. Because gang bangers and all other criminals will obey the new laws just as well as they did the old ones, right?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Wouldn't it be better to understand the behavior itself instead of heading down a direction that will only confuse the situation and lengthen the resolution time?
I said I agree that understanding what's going on would be a good thing to do.

Why are there vast swaths of america that possess a large number of these awful 'guns' that don't have similar crime/murder statistics?
Why indeed? Poor enforcement? Living conditions? Do you think the CDC would be an appropriate agency to study the problem? Because it would seem to be a public health issue.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Read the article. Not clear if they're protesting "GUN violence", or the gang banger criminal culture that is so widely celebrated, and spawns said violence.

Definitely looks like BLM protest scene, which would be the first one I've noted speaking at the violence itself (assuming it isnt more partisan hackery as it their standard rabble rousings).

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I agree. But guns do seem to play a dominant role. That should be looked into.
www.cdc.gov...

An inanimate object can be a tool used for crime, but it can't commit a crime.

The problem is from people who illegally own guns, which no doubt many gang members and criminals do. How does legal ownership by law abiding people play a part in criminals using illegally acquired weapons? I don't think it actually does? At least not if logic and critical thinking are applied and phobias or political propaganda are not employed.

A gun is a tool, nothing more, nothing less and on it's own it simply can't do anything but sit there. Anything a gun does is the fault of the person wielding it and yet there are those who for political reasons pretend otherwise.

The problem is poverty and inner city gang culture. It's not a difficult thing to figure out. Until the focus is on the true problem, it's just partisan talking points and fake outrage.

Jackson is there, so it will be OK
All unicorn farts and ice cream.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

A gun is a tool, nothing more, nothing less and on it's own it simply can't do anything but sit there.

I've never heard that before.
What a great insight.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Has anyone ever bothered to ask these black bangers why they do what they do?
They are eating their own so it might be interesting.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

But you are still blaming these acts against the free will of another to a situation or an object. There are plenty of areas with a large number of guns that technically are considered poverty areas which don't experience these crime rates.

I think the first step is admitting it is not the object or the environment that is causing these crime rates. To blame crime on external influences removes all semblance of free will.

Only when we correctly identify the real cause of the issue, then we can actually start making decisions to improve.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join