It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know where we went wrong in America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

*scratches head*

My abode here was a 1940 cookie cutter house like pretty much every other one in the neighborhood was. It's got it's age quirks, but I wouldn't say it's any better or worse than anything else out there.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

*scratches head*

My abode here was a 1940 cookie cutter house like pretty much every other one in the neighborhood was. It's got it's age quirks, but I wouldn't say it's any better or worse than anything else out there.

I think most kids (now in their 60's) lived in them post ww2 homes, me included. 3 bedrooms, one bathroom, living room and kitchen with eating space. And don't forget the one car garage separated by the screened in porch.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I was recently inside one of those tiny houses. They had it on display at our local festival. It is basically a coffin with a kitchen! If you can't fully stand up in your bedroom, it's a coffin!

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: Nyiah

*scratches head*

I think most kids (now in their 60's) lived in them post ww2 homes, me included. 3 bedrooms, one bathroom, living room and kitchen with eating space. And don't forget the one car garage separated by the screened in porch.

I'm just saying it was literally built in 1940 like almost everything else in my neighborhood (a few are much older, though) not in '49 or later as the OP suggests for the quality cutoff. It was built prior to that cutoff, and is no better, no worse than anywhere else I've lived.

And it's a fairly big-ass house, between the basement, first floor and second floor, I've got 2000 sq ft of usable space. Technically, 1400 of it is designated living space, but it's a pretty palatial little spread for the 40's. People before the 1949 cutoff idea certainly did think "bigger = better" just like they do today.

Edit: Didn't notice your layout figures. As opposed to your 3 bed, 1 bath, one kitchen, one living room, one stall connected garage, this one is a 4 bed, 1 bath, one kitchen, one living room, 2 basement halves (one is a workshop/laundry room, the other a mancave/playroom) And a detached 1.5 stall. On a half acre. Most homes in this neighborhood are on a half acre, some on a full acre. And most homes are of similar size or larger, and were built in the 40's or earlier. They thought BIG back then.
edit on 7/2/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/2/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Good Luck ! Hope you can Stomach Kimchi or Raw Fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,)
edit on 2-7-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

That's why I suggested New Zealand.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

I'm working on a house right now replaced some flooring on old hardwood and refinishing the rest of the house. It was built in the mid 1850's by old coal barrens it a huge gorgeous house. They really built things back then.

They used thick solid wood and brick. Nothing built today is even comparable, what we build today is made with paper and sticks, almost literally.

In the UK, the Victorians and Georgians built the most desirable homes, followed by post-war 1950's and 1960's homes with large gardens. The Victorians built these beautiful terraced streets with solid stone buildings. Even though your homes share a communal wall, you never heard your neighbours. The homes were on three or more levels, so there was plenty of space for a family. The garden at the back, which extended to a stream ensured there was plenty of space for children.

Now these homes get priced at £100,000 per room or more depending on distance from a downtown area. Two-up/two-down = £250,000. A Victorian townhouse ends up being priced at £800,000 or more. Modern "executive homes" simply cut a large Victorian bedroom in half to make two bedrooms with barely enough space for a bed.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

That's why I suggested New Zealand.

Hmm... Red Meat Eaters . Good Choice .................)

Oh , and by the way , when Viewing ANY MSM News Nowadays............Be Warned..........

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Yeah , Jenga Houses , A Painters Jackpot ! Dont't Forget the Caulk Gun ................LOL

no joke, you can timber one of these old homes and build an entire neighborhood out of probably 1-2 of them

not even kidding

the frame of the house is built with YUUUGE thick, they gotta be close to a foot on some houses, they aren't going anywhere

Yeah, My grandfather's Indiana farmhouse was built in the late 1800's (The basic 2 room part, not the 2nd story or the add ons), was literally framed with 12'' x 12'' timbers.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
It started in the year 1949, the rise of the American mortgage market.

There was a time when you purchased land, built a house from scratch or kit and you had affordable stable housing.

Take a look at housing costs back then: In 1950 a new house cost $8,450.00 and by 1959 was $12,400.00 More House Prices.

Now you can't pound a nail without a permit. Many neighborhoods now even have size restrictions for houses, starting at 1800 sq ft.
Isn't it funny that these houses that our grandfathers and great grandfathers built (without permits) can last a couple hundred years, but these houses with tons of permits are made like garbage!
Not only are they made poorly, houses are way too big, too expensive and are out of reach for a lot of people, especially young folks.

We are the land of the free, but what exactly are we free to do. We can't fish, can't build, can't take care of an animal, in my town you can't even have a fire in your backyard without a permit.

My Grandparents lost their farm during the depression - I think that was before 1949. There were plenty of mortgages before 1949 that caused working people to loose everything.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Real Estate Market Correction
on the way?

S&F

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   

a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

that's what you get when you elect Democrat's who think the only way to solve problems is to raise taxes and give more handouts to schools and wonderful great benefits packages and pensions for all

free stuff yay

Perhaps you republicans should stop blaming democrats and start blaming the people who are actually responsible, at least that way you have a chance of fixing it, when one side is complicit in blaming the other all that happens is the bills get bigger...

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   

The building i work in was built by redneck frontiersmen in 1862. The log cabin on property was 1837. Its still standing and functional....just in need of sprucing up.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

where is the property taxes that high ? I pay 3.000 in michigan and I think it is way to high

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

$87,664.61 is today dollars for $8450.

Gas per gallon was 30 cents or less. McDonald's hamburgers were 15 cents, cigarettes were 12 to 15 cents a pack.. My Grandmother paid $1700 for her house in West Texas.. Even as late as 1965 you could buy a new Ford Mustang for less than $2500 and that was for an automatic.. A white Mustang with a 289, automatic, air, and a blue racing stripe.. Man those were the days !

To the Op .. Smart meters (when I was overseas my electric bill doubled after the smart meter was installed), Home associations, and many many other things got me to the point I started asking why was I paying over 12,000 just to have a residence in the states ? I started looking for greener pastures so I moved away from all that civilized stuff. Lucky I could as I was retired and my wife did not care one way or the other.

If things get civilized and socialized around here I will move again//// but it would be very hard to leave what I presently consider my very own little paradise.. I guess I am just a primitive kinda guy... For as long as the electricity and internet stays on. (goes out a few times each month) and the air conditioner works and my wife feeds me..... and I win money playing golf ......what more could a guy ask for ?

It was not to many years ago you could rent a car for a week for $99 ... Man those days are gone as the last time I was in the states it was more like $300 + a week if I remember correctly ?

So the bottom line of my lengthy reply comes down to this.. The buying power of the dollar ain't even close to what it used to be.. Something like a dollar is worth around 3 cents depending on how far back you want to go..

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: 10uoutlaw

When you see super high taxes like that you can almost be certain it is either New Jersey or Illinois. In this case it was Illinois. I lived there a decade ago and lived in a regular house and my taxes were close to 10K, almost all my coworkers were jealous of my "low" taxes! Couldn't leave that state fast enough!

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I remember gas under 90 cents and a hot dog for 10 cents. Those were the good days, cheap gas and cheap junk food!

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

$2.65 minimum wage?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join