It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know where we went wrong in America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
On another note.

Tiny houses and shipping container homes believe it or not?

HUGE.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I'm in a 100 year old house. It is rock solid. I've been in new construction homes that literally look like they are about to fall down barely 10 years after being built. Not too mention the architectural designs are a joke.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Yeah , Jenga Houses , A Painters Jackpot ! Dont't Forget the Caulk Gun ................LOL
edit on 2-7-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Minimum Wage

It was first set by the federal government in 1938. You keep raising it, and the prices of everything will keep going up in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Freddie May or Fannie mac I forgot which ones have the first time lending options but they basically hand you a house without a down payment.

Rather than let the cost deflate they are falsely propping up the market and people know it and take full advantage.

What we need is the government to put everyones money back in their pocket and let the market work itself out so we can experience a deflationary period like what we should be experiencing.

then the retail apocalypse wouldn't be happening because people would actually have money to go out and spend

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I like the idea. Not the reality however, IMO.

Land acquisition would be much better.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

this is totally irrelevant because very few people actually work for that wage it's not a 1 to 1 ratio of wage increase to cost of goods

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Yeah , Jenga Houses , A Painters Jackpot ! Dont't Forget the Caulk Gun ................LOL

no joke, you can timber one of these old homes and build an entire neighborhood out of probably 1-2 of them

not even kidding

the frame of the house is built with YUUUGE thick, they gotta be close to a foot on some houses, they aren't going anywhere

link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

no joke, you can timber one of these old homes and build an entire neighborhood out of probably 1-2 of them

not even kidding

the frame of the house is built with YUUUGE thick, they gotta be close to a foot on some houses, they aren't going anywhere

link   
a reply to: JinMI

I'm more of a rustic hybrid log home type.

Too small for me.

And LOTS of land and few neighbors.
edit on 2-7-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   
My property tax bill is $13,000 this year. This is for a fairly modest 1800 square foot home. Granted, we have great local schools k - 12, but even this bedwetting liberal community is starting to revolt. Property taxes are too damn high.

The elderly do get lower tax bills, but they aren't low enough. A lot of people move out of the community when their kids graduate to get lower property taxes.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Jap in a Box ? No Thanks . LAND RULES !

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: musicismagic

wow 60 a month is a great deal compared to what they pay in the hood here in the where I'm at

they are paying around 5k a year

There is a reason why real estate taxes are not so high here.
1. No school buses for children, these children can walk up to 3 miles one way to school. I know, my daughter had to walk until 7th grade, then they were allow to have bicycles.
2. Parents pay for school lunches here from grade 1~12.
3. Govt. employees get paid by the month and not the hour. Not sure about overtime these days since the laws have been starting to change. Wages are low for those that are just entering govt. positions, but 2 times a year they get bonuses.
4. When property taxes are high, it hurts the LOCAL economy. Politics are national, but the local economy dictates the tax base.
5. Now, you may not believe this, but every city has a people tax, yep, you get taxed for breathing the air. I think we pay up to $300 a year, it might be more. People that are handicapped still have to pay, not much , but everyone pays a people tax except children.

edit on 0700000047112018-07-02T21:11:47-05:00114707pm9 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

people tax WTF

it's probably lower in total than what we pay by far, we don't get much for our money but corruption and we get to pay for all these fantastic people to have 75k+ a year pensions for life for working for a few years

it's a fricken joke

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

people tax WTF

it's probably lower in total than what we pay by far, we don't get much for our money but corruption and we get to pay for all these fantastic people to have 75k+ a year pensions for life for working for a few years

it's a fricken joke

Yep! It's called peoples city tax. What happened was they really lowered the property taxes due to the aging population in this city and throughout the country, so Japan Law came up with a national people tax a few years ago.
edit on 0700000018152018-07-02T21:15:18-05:00151807pm9 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I've been thinking about moving to an Asian country the last 2 years. Japanese and Korean people have a totally different attitude to respect that I learned while living in little Tokyo.

Never been safer in my life.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Are you in Illinois by chance?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

We were in my friends 160 year old barn, The timbers were massive and could easily last another 100 years. Sad that old barns were built better than todays expensive houses.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Are you in Illinois by chance?

yup...

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I've been thinking about moving to an Asian country the last 2 years. Japanese and Korean people have a totally different attitude to respect that I learned while living in little Tokyo.

Never been safer in my life.

Go New Zealand. Asian countries are nice when you are dumb and young and got self-employment, but reality catches up with you when you hit 65. The pensions here for self-employed people can be as low as 120 bucks a month and that's with you paying into the pension plan for many years. Anyway, I've spent a one third of my life here and the last time I visited the States, I really had to say WTF happened. I go to a K-mart and they can't even give out the correct change. EX. item cost 95 cents, I give them a buck 20 because I want a quarter. Poor lady had to call the manager, thought i was a scam artist. McDonalds, forget beyond hope.
edit on 0700000038242018-07-02T21:24:38-05:00243807pm9 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

edit on 0700000033252018-07-02T21:25:33-05:00253307pm9 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join