It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five reasons why humans can't colonize space

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
So , we send a ship designed to withstand trillions and trillions of miles of space based on the above.

Only an idiot would do that.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

I'm convinced there are probably inhabitants of other planets in our solar system,they are and have been in contact with us for years,we are probably on bottom of totem pole,why would we be making concessions otherwise

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: Gothmog
So , we send a ship designed to withstand trillions and trillions of miles of space based on the above.

Only an idiot would do that.

Yeah ,adds a whole new dimension to an astronomer's statement , we have found a possible planet , that potentially could be earth-like , if it truly is a planet at all....
Too pixellated to tell ...

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Being well prepared will be a must for sure.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Thanks dawnstar.

That's an interesting point.

Would humans act any differently in space?

I hope so.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Thanks RAY1990.

Interesting points.

It is an exciting time. I agree with that.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Thanks Gothmog.

The real question would be.

Will it still be there when you get there?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Thanks projectvxn.

I said we're not evolved for space.

That is a fact.

Although i do agree. Many things can be done to which will help overcome many issues.

A few million years time. We won't be humans by then.

Localized magnetic field generator is interesting.

Not watched your vid yet. I can imagine it being doom.

I'm trying to find a vid where Neil De Grasse Tyson talks about an impact in the ocean. And its effects. He basically says. If a big rock landed in the ocean. The first wave would be a tsunami wave. I forget how far inland it would each. It wasn't too far. The impact causes water to be thrown up in the air. The tsunami wave has to recede to fill in the fact that water is in the air. Now the water in the air falls back into the ocean. Same thing happens. Wave, water thrown up, wave recedes, water drops back down into ocean. But. He said. The impact event would be known before it happened. So there's no need for human loss of life. And. You could set a rope up and sit and watch the waves appear every few seconds (i forget how many seconds the waves would be apart from each other). And the waves would not go any further than the rope line. The only damage caused. Is material damaged. Not sure if i would sit behind the rope and put it to the test though. LOL.

I agree we should make plans to ensure our survival. That's why i like the fact that as linked. A defence system makes sense.

Maybe GM can help in some cases.

edit on 2-7-2018 by blackcrowe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

Thanks one4all.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Thanks Oldtimer2.

I Think life might be common throughout the universe.

I have a problem with alien contact. Especially. The further away they're from.

Which for me. If we are in contact with ET's. They are much closer than we (the public) realise.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

You make some interesting points.

You mention asteroids.

I think mining these things will someday help us on Earth.

I'm all for it.

But. By machines.

Also. All eggs in one basket. Fair enough. The Earth is the basket. But we only populate 3% of that basket. And we're spread all over it. So even in our basket. Our eggs are spread out. And i don't think any event except all out war will extinct the human race.

[cheers]

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

It's a nice thought or a horrible segregative notion.

Breakaway civilizations on and off the planet would be pritty hard to hide in this day of age all the same.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   

We might become part machine ourselves through.

Don't matter as to the percentage of eggs but the hole that would be made in the basket.

Humanity would indeed be rather hard to kill, short of some ELE that fried the entire planet or blew off the atmosphere, but our civilization and technological level of achievement and infrastructure could be set back 10,000 years overnight if such a thing were to occur.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   

When we become part machine. We will no longer be human.

Check out that vid i posted in my reply to projectvxn .

That is a real rock headed for Earth. We know it's coming. We haven't a chance of being anywhere else. We might not have time to wait 50, 100 or 1000 years till we get away from Earth.

We need to protect Earth first.

Defence system as in link in OP is the more logical way forward at this point in time.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Being Human ain't all its cracked up to be through for a significant percentage of our race.

Transhumanism will have its problems but it will also enable the evolution and further advancement of our species in ways we cannot even yet comprehend.

As to defense, to date, solar sails seem to be our best option as to diverting any incoming asteroids/comets, a multitude of problems there all the same, biggest concerns being detection and time factors regarding implementing any mission i suppose.

Certainly interesting times in which we live.
edit on 2-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

The outer system will be where it's at

I mean we just don't know where technology will be in 20 years never mind 100. We might crack instant communication with quantum entanglement and just send self-replicating machines into the cosmos to build matter replicators... Think along the lines of Avatar.

We're already augmenting ourselves, I can only imagine where that technology will go in my lifetime, we won't need cryo pods if we can just "shut down" ourselves.

Our possibilities are only limited by our ambition.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Having seen photographs of rats fed on GmO's, with stomach tumour's, I'll take my own seeds aboard.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I repeat a question I'm always asking "what keeps Earth in orbit around the Sun"? "what keeps the solar system of planets orbiting around the Sun"? THAT is power, and it permeates (as far as we know) the whole of the universe.
That is the power to tap for interplanetary travel. No need to take fuel on board, weight to distance to power, gone. Pick up power as you go along, unlimited fuel supply.
Just because we have not harnessed it yet is no reason not to look for it.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
If we last long enough to build them, our super self-replicating AI offspring with be the ones colonizing space, not us. If they want to, that is. Depending on their programming, they might crunch the numbers and determine that it's just not worth it.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe
a reply to: schuyler

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Actually "we" will have to agree to ignore you. You won't be making the decision. With your attitude we never would have come out of the trees. Four out of five of your "reasons" are completely trivial, which leads me to believe you are not particularly well-schooled on the issues. The fifth (the speed of light) has some merit, but there's a good chance it has already been solved. It's just not widely known. The information on this is ubiquitous if your mind is not closed to it. As William Gibson has said, "The future is already here; it's just unevenly distributed." So this conversation is over. It's like speaking to a Christian who believes Jesus is the only way to get to Heaven. You're so convinced that your version of reality is correct that it's useless to go any further.
edit on 7/2/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join