It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five reasons why humans can't colonize space

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

We can colonize space we are just busy killing each other instead and arguing about politics.

I think you underestimate our ability to multi-task. Space has probably been colonized since the 40's.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

We are indeed already augmenting ourselves via pacemakers, artificial hearts, bioelectrical prosthetic limbs and the like.

But the biggest augmentation, to date, is the supercomputer, networked device, 99% of people carry around in there pockets aka the smartphone.

Combined with the augmented reality devices that are just around the corner or even beginning to materialize who knows whats on the horizon in the next 20 years.

We may not even need to shut down if we can change our perception of time, but cryo-pods may still come in handy until we manage to completely master genetic engineering, for a multitude of purpose.

The possibilities are indeed only limited by our ambition, but our ambition seems to be retarded somewhat down to the uneven distribution of power and wealth amongst our respective populations.

Fact is humanity requires a paradigm shift the likes of which we have never seen in recorded history and the singularity and transhumanism may just open up that door.
edit on 2-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
The possibilities are indeed only limited by our ambition, but our ambition seems to be retarded somewhat down to the uneven distribution of power and wealth amongst our respective populations.

Practically any major accomplishment of humanity -- other than the discoveries of individual geniuses -- is the result of some incredibly rich pharaoh, or emperor, or king, or massively wealthy country or company building things for their own personal edification.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I would tend to agree with that assessment right up until the time of the renaissance period, then the industrial revolution.

Look how far we have come scientifically and technology speaking in the last 200 years alone?

Different ball game these days.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
I would tend to agree with that assessment right up until the time of the renaissance period, then the industrial revolution.
Look how far we have come scientifically and technology speaking in the last 200 years alone?
Different ball game these days.

Tell it to Elon Musk.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

The significant percentage will be even more #ed off that they're the ones left behind. Because they're the significant percentage.

Transhumanism or artificial evolution will be interesting. And might offer many benefits. As you say.

I'm glad that they're finally going to do something positive in the way of Earth defence. As for your concern about detection. I think that would be a bigger problem if you going 10% the speed of light.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Thanks pikestaff.

I don't want to see the pics. I'll take your word for it.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe
I'm glad that they're finally going to do something positive in the way of Earth defence.

The unfortunate thing about it is that the research into mechanism that might be able to destroy or deflect an incoming asteroid is the same kind of research done to create exotic superweapons.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Thanks crayzeed.

Gravity.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Thanks Blue Shift.

Similar to transhumanism as Andy mentioned. It could have benefits. But when would they consider humans as inferior and no longer worth while?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe
Similar to transhumanism as Andy mentioned. It could have benefits. But when would they consider humans as inferior and no longer worth while?

Point zero zero 8 seconds after it / they achieve sentience.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You think it's trivial. No worries.

I don't.

We are not evolved for space is a fact. And. Although much can be done to overcome problems. A lot will depend on artificial gravity.

Earths natural defences are good. But sometimes. Even they're not good enough. I don't see any advantage to moving somewhere else. Even if it's Earth like as that's what is looked for. I don't see how anywhere else is going to not have the same problems as Earth.

Being able to provide food is a must. It will take a whole ecosystem to achieve this for long periods in space. It couldn't be done for 2 years here on Earth. With gravity and the sun.

You seem to have an issue about the grow lights. Me too. Although it took 20 years to get them this good. They're simply not good enough. Diodes that are only good for 7 years. And you need hundreds all the time. Is a big issue. But. A repair/recycle factory was mentioned earlier. And that's a cool idea. If it can work.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

If you read the link. FEMA is mentioned too.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Not good for humans. Cool.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Elon don't like the idea of artificial intelligence much.

Then again don't most geniuses fear a superior intellect?

Hawking was afraid of the aliens, or at least rather ambivalent towards us contacting such.

End of the day humanity does not invent tools we do not use, so should we ever devise a viable, cost-effective means of space travel, you can be darn sure we will be in there like swimwear as long as its advantageous to TPTB and/or there is profit to be had.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

Cant make an Omelet and all that jazz.

Certainly won't be a painless experience for our race, but that which is necessary seldom is really.

The morality of the matter is neither here nor there as if we can do a thing it generally stands that we will do that thing.

Humans that don't augment themselves will simply find that they are inferior hence in less demand or even obsolete.

The future may not be pretty but its coming head on and cannot be avoided.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Seeing as humans
Can
Are
Will

edit on 2-7-2018 by 5StarOracle because: Word

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Colonizing space & traveling between the stars is a distinction that needs to be made.

In the near future, tech advancements will open up our entire solar system to us. We will set up bases on the Moon, Mars, explore Titan & co. Those same tech advancements will allow us to build large rotating space habitats. A ring only 400 meters in diameter that is rotating at 2 rpm will simulate 1g. If the US military budget were diverted to these tasks for a few years, then it would be a reality very quickly.

Life support systems, hydroponics etc are simply technological limitations. They haven't been faced yet because there is no real need to tackle it at this moment.

Traveling between the stars is where the hurdles start stacking up in front of us. If we could ramp up our production of anti-matter by a massive degree, then ships powered by it could hit 3/4's the speed of light. A ship with next gen technological advancements could easily reach the few nearest star systems in a decent timeframe.

The real 'will they, won't they' will depend on how far away the nearest Earth like planet will reside. If FTL proves impossible, then the most likely outcome will be a 'Passengers' type scenario. People being placed into stasis pods for decades until they arrive at their new home planet. A lightweight graphene hull will protect against radiation & impacts. People are immobile, so life support, on board resources & stores can be kept to a minimum. While the passengers get housed in a rotating habitat.

When you start scaling back to nuclear, fusion etc, then the task becomes much more daunting. Not too many people will fall over themselves to be kept in stasis for centuries while they transition to a new home etc, etc.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I agree.

My life changed when I was truly capable of putting myself into other's shoes... When I really realised I share this planet with billions of reasonably like-minded and capable human beings. Lot's of thought, observation and I guess energy in that though... Imagine a world where someone could just send you their feelings or simply "upload" their experience.

It's the kind of things philosophers and great thinkers have tried to convey over time and something one doesn't learn but comes to understand. We can be an egotistical and hypocritical species at times.

I find it fascinating that technology could challenge this paradigm and shift it. Nice twist on things and a very good point

Technology may show us that we're all just individual humans, relatively insignificant to the species as a whole. Such knowledge comes with a price for most non-psychopathic humans... That price is that we are all significant, every single one of us.

Some might say "Ray that's looking to technology to save us" but it isn't, it's looking to technology to make us more perceptive.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

That's called logistics and capital in the modern world.

Noah's ark was most likely a myth. The leader of the land would've killed him if he even thought about raising an axe to one of his trees. For they were all his trees. Know what I mean?

Don't get me wrong you drive a strong point but it's a point that's fast becoming irrelevant in a world with crowd funding and easily accessible information.

We're breaking free of institutionalisation. Brilliance comes from all walks of life and always has. In the past brilliance would only have a chance to shine if sponsored by the right agents. You mention geniuses... They were always viewed as crazy and wasting their life and potential away working on pointless things. Who deemed them pointless in their day?

Tyranny can often be a subtle concept. You see the brilliance in top heavy social, economical and technological projects and innovation.

Me?

I'm fully aware that Jimmy down the pit had no chance in building a railway line, tptb would've destroyed him before the first spike was struck.

One I the reasons our ancestors seeked west or south... Any damn place where the institutions don't own you from birth and the prospect of an honest living was opaque and hidden behind "the company" king or country.

Hahaha I'm starting to sound like a NWO nut huh? Op, apologies for going somewhat off-topic.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join