It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hunter: Russia's Claimed new Heavy (stealthy?) UAV supposed to start testing in 2019

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

There's not a lot known about the aircraft, other than the Russians claim it exists. The aircraft is apparently undergoing ground testing, iron bird, I think someone once called it here? What we used to call a 'flat sat' in the space biz. However, it might be more along the lines of what Boeing is doing with its MQ-25A stingray. The aircraft is supposed to be 20 tons (~25 klbs, yanqi). In comparison, the X-47B was 16lbs. The rumor is it is a flying wing.

There is a photo (see above) some are claiming are the aircraft and others are claiming was a past testbed. She looks very much like one of the American birds, sooo...I'd not be totally surprised if someone was passing off one of ours for one of theirs. The internet does that.

What do you guys think?

www.interfax.ru...
edit on 28-6-2018 by anzha because: forgot the link. oops.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I know where they got the blueprints. It's based on a Wraith Dart Combat fighter from Stargate: Atlantis

Spacedock

That's what came to mind when I saw the image in the OP.

I wonder if the 1st version of the Russian stealth drone will be susceptible to GPS spoofing and have unencrypted video transmissions?

-dex

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Remember when Iran captured a RQ-170?

This is what happens.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   

On 10 December 2011, Iran announced that it intended to carry out reverse engineering on the captured RQ-170 Sentinel stealth aircraft.[6] In April 2012, the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution claimed to have succeeded in extracting the entirety of the data collected by the drone and are currently in the process of building a replica of the aircraft.[33]

Looks like source 33 needs an update.

I wonder what the Russians paid for it?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

The Hunter-B looks more like this than a Wraith fighter.

Strikingly so.

Let's keep in mind that Mikoyan was working on the Skat before the RQ-170 went down:

A cranked kite doesn't require our tech to replicate.

After all, the Chinese have their Lijian as wel:

Though the Iranians HAVE outright copied the Sentinel.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

(not sure if that's a real pic or not, but it does fit the imagery of the Chinese Lijian)

edit on 28-6-2018 by anzha because: added pic

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I believe the image from Interfax may be distorted. The long nose is what reminded me of the Dart. It also looks very sleek compared to some of the other images of stealth drones that you provided. Perhaps that's due to the stretching effect.

The RQ-170 is a flying wing design containing a single (as yet classified) engine and is estimated by Aviation Week as having a wingspan of approximately 66 feet (20 m).[11] Its takeoff weight is estimated as being greater than the RQ-3 DarkStar's, which was 8,500 pounds (3,900 kg).

The RQ170 at about 8500 pounds is only about 1/3 the weight of this Russian beast.

Maybe this thing is designed for combat as well as recon?

-dex

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

The nose looked similar in proportion to the X-47B to me, but, as you said, the image isn't the greatest.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Yet another reason why its best to PARTNER with Russia, rather than being each other's enemy.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Me thinks you are looking at the OP's pic with the wrong perspective. The nose is at right of frame, tail to the left not lower left which would explain your belief in it bearing a resemblance to a Wraith.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: thebozeian
Me thinks you are looking at the OP's pic with the wrong perspective. The nose is at right of frame, tail to the left not lower left which would explain your belief in it bearing a resemblance to a Wraith.

Ye thinks correctly!

It's an optical illusion that takes advantage of my lack of knowledge of the subject and the proper context for viewing the image.

Thanks for the correction. But now it's not nearly as much fun.

-dex

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

no.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Agreed, worst idea ever. Just ask India.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
If that weight is anywhere close to correct hot damn that’s one hell of a lot of gravity stuffed into that drone! Made me raise my brow past my hairline!
edit on 6/29/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The United States has a unique geographical position. It is surrounded on both sides by the sea, which is international territory not the sovereign territory of another nation, is a cheap way to ship goods and in the past, people, and is a fantastically powerful way to project force.

To the east across the Atlantic Ocean is Europe - who the US helped in WW2. Europe remains a massive trading partner with the US.

To the West is Australia and New Zealand who have historically been client states of the worlds most powerful naval powers, as well as the Philippines and Japan, who the US also helped and defeated respectively in WW2 and today there is large amount of trade. Other Asian countries that are under US influence are also by the sea and/or massive trading partners to the US.

Russia is on the other side of the planet. They do not have consistent access to the sea throughout the year unless they cross Siberia to their east coast. Their main trading partners will always be Europe, Central Asia, and Eastern Asia. Not the United States. So a limited degree of economic ties are possible, a limited number of military ties are possible, and Russia will always be trying to trade or exert control over countries that are around its borders, which often happens to be countries that are across the ocean from the US and therefore friendly with the United States, which is against US interests.

Hence Russia's support for isolationist regimes in the United States and undermining the United States at every possible opportunity.

Whenever someone says "let's partner with Russia' I have to tell them to look at a map.

The only way Russia and the United States could become partners, is if someone in Europe or Asia had expansionist and aggressive tenancies, like say Japan or Germany. Otherwise the best you can do is become neutral towards each other.
edit on 29/6/18 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/6/18 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz
This is partially true but the artic shipping channel is becoming more and more of a factor as (whether subscribed to natural or human causes) the artic ice pack is retreating allowing for a usable shipping lane for a much longer amount of time and Russia is the king of the Icebreakers (no not the one that helps your bad breath) the Russians will continue to take advantage of this.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

The United States has a unique geographical position. It is surrounded on both sides by the sea, which is international territory not the sovereign territory of another nation
Ahem! And Australia is what now?

Agreed on all the other points, particularly that there are agents provocateur trying to undermine the US, but lets not forget the Chinese trying the same game. Therefore I wouldn't ignore that some of these traditional allies are not open to influence, the Philippines is a good example having apparently rolled over to Chinese interests. On the other hand a once enemy state in Communist Vietnam is moving inexorably closer to an inner circle US ally.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: thebozeian

The United States has a unique geographical position. It is surrounded on both sides by the sea, which is international territory not the sovereign territory of another nation
Ahem! And Australia is what now?

Agreed on all the other points, particularly that there are agents provocateur trying to undermine the US, but lets not forget the Chinese trying the same game. Therefore I wouldn't ignore that some of these traditional allies are not open to influence, the Philippines is a good example having apparently rolled over to Chinese interests. On the other hand a once enemy state in Communist Vietnam is moving inexorably closer to an inner circle US ally.

Amazing what coca cola and levis can do huh?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I'm not interested in a CoDominium timeline either.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Actually, going back to your Dart thought:

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join