It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
First of all, I don't know if this is the place to post about this, so sorry if it isn't.

Anyway, I have never been really in to astrology and the horoscope in the daily newspaper rarely checks out, yet I started reading about my starsign (Pisces) and alot of it makes sence to me. Has anyone else found that they are pretty similiar to their starsign?
Also, where does these signs originate from(not the stars themselves), ancient Greek mythology?
www.astrology-online.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The so-called horoscopes in the newspapers and magazines are not even worth the paper they are printed on. The proper form of Astrology generates a chart about you based on the position of the stars at the time of your birth. The greatest impact on you is from the Star sign and the Rising sign. There have been two main types of Astrolgy, Tropical and Sideral, which have now been joined by Chines and numerous other types. Many Astrologers attempt to do the charts in different ways and discedit the system by doing so.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The kind of astrology you are talking about is in fact proven to be true, there have been statistical analisys of people with different star signs and have shown that these basic similarities do in fact exist between people with the same horoscope sign. The newspaper horoscopes are, like Chuck said, well, poo.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
By Linda Goodman.
She was the reason the term "What's your sign" got so popular in the late 60's.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Nope....your "birth sign" is only a very small part of the whole scope. It's not an accurate reading if there are no longitudes and latitudes. Without them, it is impossible to find squares, nodes, triangles trines, Conjunctions (2 or more planets falling within 10 degrees of each other) Oppositions and much of the other necessary information for an accurate reading. I've been doing astrology sense childhood, taught by my mother, by hand not computer generated.....Aaaaaaaanyway...you need birth date, "and" place of birth including city, county and country to get longitude and latitude.
If you have a chart done correctly and have someone that can read it...it's very accurate, not only in your personality but also trends within your life; past, future, and present. No, it does not tell you, "you will find a box in the next month and it will have a coin in it"....that's not what Astrology is....it predicts trends that are surrounding at the time

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
astrology is a hindu concept.It is a way to read what is your fate.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
You have to be very dubious of 'sun sign astrology'. Of one thing it only concentrates on one aspect of the chart, the sun's placement at the time, and place of your birth. There are many other planets in your birth chart, besides the sun.

For instance, in a woman's chart the moon may be more influential than the sun. A woman with the sun in Libra, and the moon in Cancer, will be more of a Cancer, than a Libra. Especially because the sun is weak in Libra, and the Moon is strong in Cancer. The Moon is the traditionally ruler of women, the sun of men.

The ascendant, for instance, determines how people percieve you. The ascendent is the sign that was 'rising' on the horizon at the time of you birth! If you have Picses rising, you will be percieved as very 'easy going'. Even if you aren't. For instance a person may be born with Picses rising, and Mars in Aries, and Sun in Leo. They have the strong need to lead, but always come across as 'low key'. They may blossom into the classic 'passive agressive' personality, associated with Picses rising.

Here's an interesting twist. There is a principle in astrology known as 'relocation'. This means that every time you move, you have to re cast you horoscope for your new place of residence. So if you were born in New York, at 7:30 AM, and you move to LA, then you have to re adjust the chart. You have to re cast it for your birth time in LA. That's about 4:30 AM, and whole different ascendent. Aries in New York might mean Aquarius or even Capricorn in LA. So the 'pushy' New Yorker - Aries - would transform into the off beat Los Angelean - Aquarian! That would take 7 years to have full effect!

If you are interested in more precise astrology, then here is a site were youc an do your chart for free

Astrology

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
~~
what if your 'birth date'
can be 'wrong'...considering preemies and such.

i would think a 'complete' natal chart would include the conception and gestation period as 50% of a persons horoscope and the actual birth
time/place being the other 50%...

that type of charting might give a more detailed 'tendency' profile and be more precise in
setting your baseline for your 'Bio-Rythm' cycles.

otherwise, its Fate & Destiny that controlled your delivery & birth date
and by default, your whole life...and not the relative positions of stars, planets & subtile quanta energies

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
In fact your 'birth time' can be wrong, and ofetn is. Birth times are routine mis registered. Youc an perform a 'rectification', however. the 'birth chart' is the visual representation' of your 'context'. Every aspect of your life, every major event, is some how related to that. For instance, the time of your christianing! You probably know that time, and through that you can work back to your true birth time, since the two charts will have common elements. Or your marriage, or the time of any major life event. Horoary Astrology. Everyting is inter related, so if you know one thing, you can know everything. As William blake said "To see the universe in a grain of sand, or Heaven in a wild flower. To hold Infinity in the palm of your hand, or Eternaity in an hour". Or as the bible put it, more clearly, "God has put Eternity in the hearts of men, and makes all things beautiful in their time".

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates

So which is better? Nothing or everything?

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
My friend once had a big birthday book, It had a bio for everyday of the year...I agreed alot with it.

Although I have found alot more about myself through chartmaps, tarot, numerology etc, Looking back on it now that book knew nothing, It has taken me years working with astrology and numerology to know this much, and I know there is still so much I don't know.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent Orange

Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates

So which is better? Nothing or everything?

You don't have a choice, everything vibrates.
It's a natural law......Read the Kybalion

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Greek mathematician Xeno, with his famous arrow, demonstrated that movement doesn't really exsist. The world we live in, that seems to ebb and flow, is actually only an illussion. This is similar to the origional teachings of the Buddha.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Astrology has been around since conscious men one day started to look at the sky, is one of the missing books of the bible and the death sea scroll has an entire area dedicated to astrology, Jesus was though to be born under the sign of Pisces, my daughter is a pisces also.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The Bible is full of astrology. Remember Jacob, and the "12" tribes of Israel?? In his famous dream he saw his father as the Sun, his mother as the Moon, while he and his twelve brothers were the 12 signs of the Zodiac!

Also the Book Of Revelation is full of Astrologiacal symbolism, such as the gemstones that make up the New Jerusalem, which are the birthstones.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Agent Orange]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
ASTROLOGY IS TRUE!!!!! I've been studying it for three years now. There's a lot to it much more than just you sun sign. If you want to know more about your own personal chart go to astrodienst.com

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
That's a great site! I use it frequently. PLus you can do celebrity horoscopes, if you have their birthdate.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well, I have a vendetta against astrology, so I'll just start off there.

For starters, let me ask a question. How many constellations are in the zodiac? If you said 12, you're wrong! There's one called Ophiuchus between Sagitarius and Scorpius. So why don't you hear about it in "modern" astrology? Because there is no "modern astrology!"

The basis for astrology today is a combination of calculations from the ancient Chinese, Egyptians, and other cultures from about 5000 years ago. So why didn't they know about Ophiuchus being in the zodiac? Because of precession of the poles!

What's that you ask? Well, as the Earth rotates, it's spinning off-canter. Imagine a spinning top slowing down. That wobble is what causes precession. Because of it, the north-star changes and the Sun follows a different path through the sky. Sure, 5000 years ago the Sun did only pass through 12 constellations, but it no longer does. Why isn't that take into account? Also, because of this, the signs are shifted over by about a month. For example, according to astrology, I'm a Virgo, while according to science and actual fact, I'm a Leo.

Also, astrology was the basis of predictions and pseudo-science of long ago. The peopl that sudied the stars were also the priests. Today we have a much more scientific interest in the stars, allowing us to see past the mythology.

People are saying that they agree with things for thier sun sign. Have you read stuff for other signs? All the traits and feelings and whatever else they say are so vague that if you want to believe it lists your attributes for any given zodiacal sign, you will.

And since one seems to have answered one of the original questions in this thread... Yes, the constellations do come, in part, from Greek mythology. They also come from Roman, Hindu, and other ancient religions. There are also some newer constellations, such as Telescopium and Microscopium. Also, some constellations have been broken up into smaller ones, such as Argos, which now broken up into six constellations. They are Puppis, Vela, Pyxis, Carina, Volans, and Columba.

[edit on 3/16/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I have always found my star sign to be accurate.. I recently calculated my other signs and found out that I am

Scorpio with scorpio rising and my moon is pisces (I think).

I have no clue what any of that means though.

do we have a resident astrologer on ATS?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
i don't read my horoscope daily, but i have studied the signs so that i better understand ppl. i have shocked quite a few ppl upon first meeting them when i sum them up based on their birth date alone.

i am a gemini and act very much like one. used to be a bad thing until i understood a lot about myself through the sign and was able to hone in on the good things and put myself to better use to those around me and myself. seeing all sides of things is something i excel at, often to dogmatic types dismay

top topics

<<   2 >>

join