It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patrick Stewart tipped for new Star Trek show as Picard

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   
As much as it pains me to say, Sir Patrick Stewart might be the franchise's last hope. However, as stated in OP, Stewart said he'd only come back if their was a brilliant idea put forth. This is a sentiment I agree with wholeheartedly.

Either bring back what was once incredible, or let it be the way it is.

Discovery was garbage... even when compared to Enterprise. (Which I'm still not sure why people hate so much. Sure, it had it's dull moments, but was still pivotal to the overall trek universe)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
Patrick Stewart tipped for new Star Trek show as Picard

Red alert! Captain Jean-Luc Picard may be travelling at warp speed back to space: the final frontier right at this very moment.

The Hollywood Reporter claimed on Tuesday (June 19) that Sir Patrick Stewart is attached to a brand new Star Trek series in development at CBS that will see him reprise his Next Generation role as Picard.

The project is reportedly one of several Star Trek series and miniseries that are being developed by Star Trek: Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman as part of his newly-signed multi-year production pact with CBS.

Click link for article...

Way to make me positively squeal with glee at 4:30 in the morning. With everyone asleep. And the windows wide open.I hope I didn't actually wake anyone.

Guess I'll be pouring over the Star Trek reddit for the next few days, as I imagine all the Trek redditors already are

P.S There better be plenty of Worf in there, too, Dorn's every bit as dedicated to his character as Stewart is!

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I'll still have memories of him in American Dad though. He's sullied the memory of Picard lol

It would be refreshing for someone to actually make a new, worthy, sci-fi show. There are a few out there I'm currently watching, but nothing the calibre of the old ST.

Well, Orville does come a cheesy contender. How sad is that lmao...

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Perhaps if Q were to return...

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   
TNG was lightning in a bottle. Stewart was my, and continues to be, my one celebrity crush. However, there will never be another worthy Star Trek. I would hate to see the aged characters. It would take a genius to reprise the quality and fantasy of TNG (I loved the original in the 60s, too). There won't be a reprise because it just isn't possible. All the new fangled fake CGI in the world won't cut it.
edit on 20-6-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Again, I was so uninspired to watch Discovery at that point. It didn't help that I heard from multiple sources that it's basically Social Justice Warrior Trek.

Although it sounds like a good idea part of hopes that Patrick Steward will never preform as Jean Luc Picard again.

After seeing that the whole pop-culture is taken over by SJW ideology.
I have no doubt the whole character of Jean Luc picard will be mentally raped.He (Jean luc picard) will probably become a old guy with a drinking problem. Drinking milk out of the asss of a Tribble.
So Seeing Partick Steward in an SJW syle star trek universe isn't exactly appealing to me...

I've left the franchise behind me mainly not because it pushes SJW ideology (I can live with that). But because SJW has absolutely no respect for the characters nor for the ST universe (Discovery ,Klingons ?). Bassically 'the feel' that I liked so much is gone and I doubt that 1 actor can change this.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

If this news is accurate, I will be over the Moon!

I did cave eventually and watch Discovery, and it had some ideas that I felt were quite good. The action sequences were very up front, and it had a grittier feel, more familiar to the recent film feel, than the TNG feel. It also looked absolutely spectacular, lovely lighting effects, backgrounds, space scenes. However...

It had some pretty deep problems. First of all, vast amounts of it were in the Mirror Universe, which is a cop out if you ask me, and done to death by other parts of the franchise. Second of all, it was set in the least acceptable timeline. If you are doing a Star Trek series, for goodness sake, keep it old school. Put it in the timeline containing Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway. Make it connect visibly with what came before.

And with that in mind, do NOT mess about with the slightest aspect of Klingon history and culture! If it was not mentioned in any of the many movies and pre-existing lore, leave it in the kingdom of ideas, and use the inspiration to create some other species, in some other show using similar themes, but do NOT mess with something as universally understood and important to the fanbase, as the Klingon species, its history and appearance!

And just one more thing... Spore drive... fungal networks in sub space? REALLY? What, you think that the viewing public can accept that prior to all the advancements, all the smart work by genius engineers in prior series, there could have existed a ship which could effectively teleport itself light years, INSTANTLY, at the whim of its research and development officer? Get the hell out of here! No! Just no, with a capital N.

I do not care how you explain the fact that for all time afterward, no mention is made of the spore drive or the underpinning universal construct which permits its use, despite it being a MASSIVE advantage to anyone who discovers it and utilises it later on... The point of the matter is, that if you are setting your show in the past of another show, it must NOT feature technologies arguably more advanced than those featured in elements of the franchise set further forward in time, it just must not!

I am, therefore, GAGGING for a return to something which actually FEELS like a Star Trek series, set in the universe that is most familiar to me, with characters I know, in a timeline I understand and connects directly to the one that I have enjoyed all my life, not some effort by a group of people whose ego was so large, that they could not just damned well use the playbook, but had to write their own, to get their precious ideas out there, despite the massive lack of respect for the body of work which came previously, that doing such a thing represents.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

100% agree with you

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully it will be better than discovery and those stupid looking Klingon

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries
Drinking milk out of the asss of a Tribble.

Hopefully they wont let Rian Johnson anywhere near this.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   

I reckon enhanced (non-Borg or perhaps post Borg) species vs 'naturals' vs AI's & Androids (children of Data?) but they all must ally against a similar mix of creatures from a hyperspace.

And these are Type-II civilizations whose weapons include nano-robotic and stellar scale engineering.

... and humans are starting to look other than human.

edit on 20/6/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
If they can get Commander Data back also, it would please me big time. Or at least have an android with a connection to him somehow.

Thanks for the info!! I too must check reddit!

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Geriatric Star Trek, No..... no no no....

To be fair, thats what ppl were saying when they were discussing TNG for the first time and realized it wasn't a late 20 something captain to follow Kirks start.

I think Admiral Picard will make a great occasional walk on. The guy is still pretty mobile and clever.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
God nooooo!!!! Love the guy but I can't see him as Captain of the ship this go around.

edit on 20-6-2018 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Anyone, of any age, can look utterly useless in a selected still shot, taken while they were moving. Happens all the time when watching Netflix. Theres Joe Rogan, mid way through his stand up routine, which he is owning by the way, and suddenly the phone rings.

No way am I answering that and leaving Rogan to ramble. I will shut him the hell up while I take my call, saves me messing about with rewinding... Oh God... the face he was pulling, as I froze the frame? Ultimate orgasm face. Just no pretense of class or dignity at all.

I finish my conversation, having spent the entire chat on the verge of bursting out laughing down the phone at my friend, and unpause. And as if by magic, he is just mid sentence. His face was screwed up like that, because he had been mid way through a shh sound, been saying something like push, or kush, or something like that, and I had just caught him at a bad, BAD moment, appearance wise.

Sure, Patrick Stewart IS an older man now, and for what its worth, I do not believe he would be getting an action based role in the show, like as a Captain or other regular. But as an old, wise admiral, using cunning rather than youthful vigour to achieve his goals? Hell yes I can see him pulling that off like a stripper in a breakaway jumpsuit!

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I'm really confused by the people talking about "Social justice warrior trek."

I mean, social justice was always a large part of the TNG-DS9-Voyager universe, and for the original series (as much as they could in the 60's). Sure, colored people weren't discriminated against in that universe but they used aliens and alien cultures as metaphors for current social issues. It was an optimistic take on what equality and progress could produce. It just seems funny to me that people who consider themselves fans of a show that always espoused that the fruits of technological and social progress should be equally shared among all of humanity would be throwing around negative terms about social justice.
edit on 20-6-2018 by Slanter because: Left out half a sentence.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Sounds interesting.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Hmmmm......

Four 'Star Trek' series are in the works from 'Discovery' showrunner

Get ready for more Trek than you can shake a phaser at. According to a report at Variety, CBS has signed a five-year deal with current Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman's production company to expand the television franchise to new live action series, mini-series and possible animation.

Kurtzmann co-wrote the scripts for 2009's Star Trek and 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness. Variety reports that there are several new shows set in the universe already in development, including a series set at Starfleet Academy from the same folks behind the CW reboot of Dynasty, Gossip Girl, and Hulu/Marvel's Runaways. There are also two possible limited series, one based on the Wrath of Khan storyline, as well as an animated series with plot details kept under wraps. According to Variety, CBS Television studios gets exclusive rights to all the content Kurtmann and his production company Secret Hideout make over the next five years.

Even though Star Trek: Discovery was renewed for a second season, it's had its share of production woes and platform issues. Last month, the showrunners who replaced Brian Fuller were again replaced by none other than Kurtzman himself.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Slanter

"Social Justice" and Equality and the struggle for equality are not the same things.

Social Justice is an inquisition against free thought.
edit on 20 6 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join