It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court rules a medical marijuana card is a legal reason to deny a gun purchase

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
fortune.com...

9th district court. Their opinion is that if you get a medical marijuana card, the state can assume you're a drug user and therefore take away your right to own firearms.

If you've ever read my posts, I'm not huge on the 2nd, but this seems completely backwards to me. It's denying a right based on your association with a group the government disagrees with rather than based on a crime you've been convicted for.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
But alcohol is ok and not a drug, as i guess...

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Marijuana is harmless... In fact it shows its better at treating certain illnesses than big pharma and their horrible side effects.

Granted plenty of people abuse it, who are you more worried about with a gun, someone who's high, or someone who's drunk?

Ass backwards indeed.

+1 more 
link   

That is because medicinal pot smokers are viscous killers. We all know it. Haven't you seen the historic documentary Reefer Madness?

link   

Saw that one coming a mile away! Me and many others predicted it!

Death by a thousand cuts.. but remember, "We aren't taking your guns.".

Then again it is the 9th Circus, so there is that.

link   
I figured this was coming. This was a Democratic initiative I think. They can do it, same if you are on medications that can cause certain psychological side effects. I do not know what to think about this change, I feel this ruling is going to be used as precedence to bypass the second amendment rights of people. Anyone on depression or anziety or anti-psychotic meds can lose their rights too.

link   

I bet this goes up the chain a bit more. Sure sounds like a direct attack on the 2nd. But with the grey area surrounding pot these dayz, who knows how this will turn out.

Turbulent times indeed.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

That is one of the things that I find so hard to believe. People in power still pushing non-sense such as this. Maybe the left and right can find some common ground on this.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Just to be clear, you know this is from 2016, right?

Wilson v. Lynch - Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals

In the two years since, SCOTUS has refused to pick it up, leaving the ruling to stand.
edit on 18-6-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Saw that one coming a mile away! Me and many others predicted it!

Death by a thousand cuts.. but remember, "We aren't taking your guns.".

Then again it is the 9th Circus, so there is that.

Awww, the incompetent 9th Circuit. Where you have to willing be dense to get the job.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Well, it's from the Court of Appeals so I knew it had been ruled on previously. This was the appeal ruling though.

From your link, that courts ruling was that using illegal drugs is a reason to deny a right. This appeal had to do with associating with a group that promotes illegal activity and the court further clarified that that falls within the scope.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If they can't confiscate anyone's firearms by force that would cause a massive civil war, the second best option would be to use alternate means to achieve the same end goal.

-Are you using marijuana? No firearms for you

-Have you been labeled unstable or prone to be an aggressive person "vaguely" or a loner? No firearms for you

-Hoarding too many firearms or ammo and could become a threat to the government or local authorities? No firearms for you

-Did you get a misdemeanor charge in the past 5 years? No firearms for you

-Do you take mind altering prescription drugs or something for depression? No firearms for you

You get where this is going? It may not come out that way but it may come to that point knowing how hard core some anti-gun activists and lobbyists are.

Gun control = people control.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

Alcohol is not illegal. A better analogy would be associating with members of a terrorist cell.

The ruling is that an association with a group promoting illegal activity, even if you haven't been charged and convicted of a crime, is a reason to deny a firearm.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Well then so should xanex, wellbutrin, percoset, oxycotin, abilify, etc. etc. etc.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

????

Your source is from 2016. My link *is* the Court of Appeals ruling.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Oh, well now I feel really dumb. It just came across my news feed which is supposed to not allow stories past 3 days old to show up.

Guess one snuck past the filter.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Why would anyone want/allow/let "The Man™" fiddle with Your head stash?

That would ruin the medicinal effects...

"It's medication time Mr. Martini, medication time..."

I'd also like to point out here and "On The Record" in ALL of My police career in Ca. I NEVER came across someone who had used Cannabis and beat their wife; rob a bank; etc..

In FACT, My experience showed that the violent offender, the City where I worked once led the nation in murders per capita, used Cannabis to "come down" most often from methamphetamine (crank) Sure, a lazy person would look at what they have in their possession at the time of arrest and see the Cannabis and this would bolster their "confirmation bias"...

You know how We could get Cannabis "legal across the board"? Just go to the MoneyGrubbing TURDS that run run EVERY THING NOW, and tell them they get ALL the profits from Cannabis. Then "They" would try to squeeze even more profits and get their friends over at Bayer™ (nee: Monsanto™) and kill Us ALL with their poison, just leave "Them" the $$$

Stay Hydrated...

Proud Member of LEAP• Law Enforcement Action Partnership

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

That's ok. I'm noticing lately that as well....almost seems intentional, doesn't it?

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Yeah WTF anybody can buy booze that be grounds to ban all guns, when you follow this logic to its conclusion.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Intelligent people don't make it a habit of begging permission (via a license) to do what free people can do.

Here we see how licensing something is simply denying you your rights.

I know a guy who carries a gun everyday without a license. He says he has no intention of flagging him as "armed" via a license. Its no ones business. I ain't that crazy...but lots of folks are.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join