It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is fathers day all about?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
It's fathers day here in the UK, I told my son not to bother lining the pockets of card companies etc, I know he loves me, and we share our love every day.
I don't get it at all, I have a fantastic relationship with my son, heck he's my next door neighbour as well, but buying me a card for this one day just seems lame to me.
Every text we send and receive to each other has a kiss at the end indicating our love, that's like every day, how it should be.
I feel the same about valentines day as well, equally lame, you should love your partner and express that love every day...if you love them.

...maybe should have put this in the rant forum

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

What is fathers day all about?

Consumerism , but you already know that.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I wish I could spend Father’s Day with my dad as I knew him before. He is a good man and very wealthy but now spends his time with other hot shots on the golf course making business deals with the government and Fortune 500 companies. He has changed and I do not think it is for the better. He has decided to take a vacation on Father’s Day to go to some monastery to reflect... (AKA more deals).
I am not a father and most likely never will be but to all you good folks that are.
Happy fathers
And I truly mean that. Enjoy this day with your loved ones and make a memorable experience that you will never forget.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
To any and all fathers popping into this post - happy Father's Day!

My family gave me my present on Friday afternoon.
3 hours of tattoo time!
Got my left hand added too.
Happy Father's Day to all, even the mothers whom have assumed the role!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I get a wonderful weekend with my family.

That’s a good enough reason for me.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I have a fantastic time being dad every day though, don't feel like dad so much these days though as my lad is in his early twenties, independent, and harder than me lol.
He was sad about something recently though and when he came to me knocking my door for comfort I felt like dad again.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Father's Day was started by a woman whose father was a Civil War vet who raised she and her six siblings by himself. She felt like he and other like him were worthy of the same sort of recognition that mothers receive on Mother's Day.

Not consumerism, but the appreciation of the hard work, dedication, and love fathers put into their families each and every day. Given the movement started by feminists that a woman needs a man like a fish needs bicycle, I happen to think we need to remember Father's Day now more than ever.

Happy Father's Day!
edit on 17-6-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'm calling it Stepdad Day!

Best thing that ever happened to me.

Cards mean little, the hug I had this morning was priceless however.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Personally I don't need a special day that celebrates the greatest gift I've been bestowed. The absolute joy of raising boys into men. Imparting them with all the knowledge I'd wished I had and the ability to acquire even more on their own.

Wished all men who have children could see it in this light.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That was an interesting story, thanks for sharing it, I always like learning something new

...still didn't need a card from my son though, we're going for a pint and a game of pool in a bit, just like any other day enjoying each others company.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Ah I was a stepdad for 7 years, loved the little guy just like my own son

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Yes, best job I've ever had is being dad

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Heh, as a girl I was blessed with the most wonderful gift: a dad who taught me all kinds of things from how to throw a softball to how to bat to how to fish. He was there when the softball teams needed a coach, and when I needed help with math, he was always ready to teach my mom how to do it so she could explain it to me (he always explained it the same way my math teachers had, and if I didn't get the way they explained it, then I wasn't getting it that way from him, either!).

He's still there today, and we always talk about the latest football games.

He also gave me one other invaluable gift: he set a good example so that I knew what to look for when I started looking for a man of my own. Now I'm married to a man who is a wonderful father to our son in his own right.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Lovely story, made me smile reading that

I lost my dad in 2003, still miss him, it would have been his birthday last week, I raised a few pints with my son to remember him.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Doesn't he get in the way of all those female 'friends with benefits' you said that you have, lined up?

Where is the mother?

Perhaps he wouldn't give you fathers day presents anyway...

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Sperm longs back to the hanging gardens of Babyloins?
edit on 17-6-2018 by deckdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

It's fathers day here in the UK, I told my son not to bother lining the pockets of card companies etc, I know he loves me, and we share our love every day.
I don't get it at all, I have a fantastic relationship with my son, heck he's my next door neighbour as well, but buying me a card for this one day just seems lame to me.
Every text we send and receive to each other has a kiss at the end indicating our love, that's like every day, how it should be.
I feel the same about valentines day as well, equally lame, you should love your partner and express that love every day...if you love them.

...maybe should have put this in the rant forum

We owned a drugstore in the 50-60's... and we'd have birthday, Christmas, Valentines and Easter cards. Year after year I'd have to make shelf room as the card makers would come up with new "HOLIDAYS".

Asking my dad where are all these new occasions we're coming from... he said "The card companies to make more $$$." And I had to make room for them.

Dad referred to these as "HALLMARK HOLIDAYS" !!! (HALLMARK, the largest card company). This week on the news one company has gone crazy with another one for...... "BABY DADDY".

Happy Father's Day dad... I love and miss you every second of every minute. R. I. P. (1986)

MS
edit on 17-6-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain

Doesn't he get in the way of all those female 'friends with benefits' you said that you have, lined up?

Where is the mother?

Perhaps he wouldn't give you fathers day presents anyway...

Oh gosh, are you uptight about my comments in the MGTOW thread? lol
My son is early 20's now, he's cooking me dinner this evening and we had a pint and a game of pool earlier at a hotel bar in our street (he lives next door to me).

His mother is an absolutely wonderful woman, my most trusted and loved friend, we were just crap at husband and wife. Fantastic parent to work with as a team though, we raised him together since we split when he was two.
The first text I read on my phone when I woke up today was from her saying happy fathers day and she couldn't have wished for anyone else to have raised her child with, loads of kisses at the end yadda yadda.
We go out for dinner every week or so.
Please don't tell me you're a woman hating MGTOW guy as well?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

That made me chuckle, and a bit sad as well, it's a loss which never really goes away isn't it.
Glass raised for your dad.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I agree. Screw the hallmark holidays-A beer and a bonding session while watching football is all you need.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join