It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian-American Becomes First Turbaned Sikh Woman In NYPD

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I think if it wasn't a headline in a paper nobody would have even noticed.

^this.

i'd understand this being a story in the 70's, but today?

good for her, but quite sad that this is considered noteworthy.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Define care? You know what I meant.

Why don't you tell us what it is about a Sikh that would make anyone treat them different than any other cop? Not the turban surely?

I'm guessing you mean bigots and cop haters might use the attire as a reason to mess with her? You care about them and what they think? I don't.

i said define care cause people on here for example tell me how i care about # that i talk about on here and i do to a point. i like to talk about it but am i out there crusading for or against?
no

would the turban be the reason i think they would mess with her?
yes
100%

people, especially assholes dont like people that are different from them. in todays climate i can see it being an issue with people.
and i care about what they think as far as this discussion and other people thoughts and opinions interest me and i enjoy thinking about why some people feel this way or that

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I would like to know when the first Women Police Officers wearing the Burka will become legal. Womens Rights and all that, right? Humor me.
edit on 25-5-2018 by Artemis12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

They might use the turban as an excuse, but if no turban existed, they would find another thing to use to excuse their own bad behavior.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Artemis12
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck
Irish? I thought the Irish were treated less than black slaves? Can you explain your comment please i'm very interested.

There was a period, especially in centres like Boston and New York City, when most cops were Irish...so says the stereotype anyway. I'm sure my American cousins can address this better than I can. Good question, though.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

mid to lat 1800's to the turn of the century for sure.
back when they were coppers

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: notsure1

why?
not gonna dog your opinion im just curious why

Well because this is America not India, and if I see a cop wearing a turban I am not going to respect him/her the way I should.

It is what it is..

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It's about as intrusive to doing the job as a Jewish cop wearing a yarmulke is. Which is to say it really isn't intrusive. If cops can slap on their own uniform code-friendly style of cop hat, reasonable headgear meaningful to the wearer shouldn't be an issue, either.

(post by Nyiah removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
It's about as intrusive to doing the job as a Jewish cop wearing a yarmulke is. Which is to say it really isn't intrusive. If cops can slap on their own uniform code-friendly style of cop hat, reasonable headgear meaningful to the wearer shouldn't be an issue, either.

I think you will find that most people that are ok with this have a huge problem with praying in school.
edit on 25-5-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

(post by notsure1 removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Good for her other than that why should I care where someone gets employment. Oh I get it because she is female and and worships a different deity. Spin away MSM spin away. Just because "someone" gets a job doesn't make it note worthy.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

I think you will find that most people that are ok with this have a huge problem with praying in school.

Two totally different things. I'm not going to have a problem with a yarmulke, turban, Hindu bindi, Christian cross necklace/tat. Those are simply religious aesthetics. I AM going to have a words to exchange over permitting religious practices that go beyond aesthetics in public schools -- that is what private religious ones exist to accommodate.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Two totally different things. I'm not going to have a problem with a yarmulke, turban, Hindu bindi, Christian cross necklace/tat. Those are simply religious aesthetics. I AM going to have a words to exchange over permitting religious practices that go beyond aesthetics in public schools -- that is what private religious ones exist to accommodate.

So this is fine but kids prayin not so much? Figures..

(post by Nyiah removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I really really hate those types of headlines... her sex and religion should be the last thing talked about.

If she is good enough to make through that should be the point... Not first Black female astronaut… or the first female pilot in the blue angles or what not.

People really need to learn to look past sex and skin color... FFS we have regressed in my lifetime, I was brought up believing what the person does is far more meaningful that their skin color, sex, sexual orientation.

Now it seems like I am being told to worry more aboutthe superficial garbage than the content of the charecter.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I think that you should be wearing the official uniform of the department and not special accoutrements. It seems silly to have to wear some special turban to show your faith...especially in the public sector.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

why?

Well because this is America not India, and if I see a cop wearing a turban I am not going to respect him/her the way I should.

It is what it is..

Do you keep a list of foreigners and their customs you refuse to respect?

(post by notsure1 removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

why?

Good luck with that...LOL
What a small world you live in.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join