It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian-American Becomes First Turbaned Sikh Woman In NYPD

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: TinySickTears
www.huffingtonpost.com...

An Indian-American woman made history on the New York Police Department this month. Gursoch Kaur, a 20-year-old from Queens, New York, graduated from the New York Police Academy in May, becoming the first turbaned Sikh woman to join the NYPD.

Surely Sikh women dont wear turbans? Its the men who wear the turbans.

my opinion is good for her. she wants to dot it and its cool. hope she does well.

Good luck to her she's going to need it.

That's what I thought too!

The boys start young, kinda funky looking headgear.

Like a spandex wrapped man bun in the wrong place.

Never seen a woman with one and I lived with a large SE asian community.

Need more backstory on this.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I knew a Sikh girl that wore a turban..that was 40 years ago. I see one on the odd occasion but it's not the norm.
edit on 25-5-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
www.huffingtonpost.com...

An Indian-American woman made history on the New York Police Department this month. Gursoch Kaur, a 20-year-old from Queens, New York, graduated from the New York Police Academy in May, becoming the first turbaned Sikh woman to join the NYPD.

Kaur is now an Auxiliary Police Officer (APO), an officer who’s trained to assist local police precincts, housing police service areas and transit districts. She is currently a student at Nassau Community College, majoring in accounting. Kaur told Desi Talk that she hopes her position as an APO will help her bring her closer to becoming a full-time, sworn-in police officer one day.

auxillary but whatever. she's going it.
my opinion is good for her. she wants to dot it and its cool. hope she does well.

i am also of the opinion that cops catch a lot of # and attitude and deal with assholes all the time. i think this lady is going to have a hard time.
im sure there will be plenty of assholes making their comments to her and/or about her.

what are your thought?

i posted this story to see how others felt. i feel like it is a non issue but i get the feeling others wont feel the same way and i am curious as to why.

Dearborn here we have the 1St female ordinance officer (tickets etc) Arab wearing a a hijab. 21, little thing of a woman, sweey, really nice and efficient.

She will be the trend setter here for qualified L. E. O. 's.. of all nationalities!

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

originally posted by: Artemis12
I just think that if turbans are ok, and i'm ok with that. That Burka's should be legalized as well. If you agree with one and not the other, that would make you a hypocrate wouldn't it.

I get you now sorry to go all app #. It's a slippery slope. I'm for letting people alone, and there way of life as well. At least with the turbin I can tell the officer in a line up. The face covering is the issue I have to say, but on a identity base not on religious beliefs. It does make me sound hypocritical but that is the way I see it.

It's also pretty obvious that wearing a burka would impede both one's vision and ability to respond physically. Again...false equivalency.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
As long as there is Full Face - - I'm good.

I don't support showing your religion at work - - but, sometimes culture norms have to be an exception.

Like, I'd accept a Catholic nun in a plain habit.

edit on 25-5-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I don't support showing your religion at workI don't support showing your religion at work - - but, sometimes culture norms have to be an exception.

You just contradicted yourself.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Wow lol. Look I will lose respect for them because I feel like now they are using their job as a public servant to push a religious agenda.

A cop is just as influential to children as teachers and none of you would be ok with her doing this as a teacher in school..

Or would you???

You guys cant wait to just start screaming racist biggot lmao..

edit on 25-5-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I don't support showing your religion at workI don't support showing your religion at work - - but, sometimes culture norms have to be an exception.

You just contradicted yourself.

NO - - I didn't.

Culture Norms

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Wow lol. Look I will lose respect for them because I feel like now they are using their job as a public servant to push a religious agenda.

Gee...is your personal faith that fragile? Maybe that's a sign you should shop around.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

A cop is just as influential to children as teachers and none of you would be ok with her doing this as a teacher in school..

I don't think you have a clue about what your taking about, it's ok if you're a bigot..embrace it, be who you want to be.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Gee...is your personal faith that fragile? Maybe that's a sign you should shop around.

Shop around for what? I am the most nonreligious person you will ever meet. You guys want so bad to make it about race its comical..

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: notsure1

I don't think you have a clue about what your taking about, it's ok if you're a bigot..embrace it, be who you want to be.

LOl.. Ok. So cops are not influential?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
So if she goes to a school to teach a class or god forbid becomes a school resource officer is it still ok to wear it?
edit on 25-5-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Who's Culture, Who's Norms?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I don't really care that much but she should dress like an American cop not one from Bombay.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

But... #MeToo

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Who's Culture, Who's Norms?

I worked at a meat processing plant.

Some of the women wore skirts because their religion did not allow them to wear pants.

A PLAIN piece of clothing norm to their religious culture.

They were NOT allowed to wear crosses, or other adornment - - just the plain clothing.

Covering one's hair is a cultural norm for some religions - - no different then a woman wearing a skirt instead of pants.

If the scarf/head cover - - - had religious symbols adorned on it - - - I would object.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

So if she goes to a school to teach a class or god forbid becomes a school resource officer is it still ok to wear it?

Sure. Why not? I had lots of South Asian teachers all through public & high school, as well as university. It's a good thing...it teaches your kids that 'other' is just fine. Boy Howdy...are you going to be pissed when it dawns on you that the future is brown. And you might wanna google 'bigot' while you're on line. Happy Trails!

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
I don't really care that much but she should dress like an American cop not one from Bombay.

I hate to state the obvious, but that's apparently what that American cop does look like.
edit on 25-5-2018 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Its a good question for all you calling me a biggot with your fake ass outrage..

If she becomes a school resource officer are you ok with her wearing it at school?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Some people think a burka or any type of turbanic head covering to be considered a Religious Symbol though. What you think is Religious and what They think is Religious doesn't matter. Remember, people can be black one day and a six year old child the next. They could consider anything they want as Religious because of Democratic Idiocy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join