It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hero mom saves the day killing gunman outside school

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Im2keul

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
99.9999999999% of conceal carry owners would be too cowardly to do anything.

And the fact that she was almost shot herself shows how stupidly she reacted. If he would have pointed his attention tthen her.2 seconds earlier and saw her going through her purse he would have gotten her first. And she was a trained person.

Putting an average citizen in this situation they would have gotten shot 9 times out of 10.

I won't disagree that many with a ccw/chl would have the nerve if confronted with a similar situation.
However, I may disagree with your stats. There are many that continue their journey beyond the ccw/chl to prepare for such situations.

I understand but I’m talking about in this exact situation 9/10. Maybe they hesitated on taking off the safety, dead. Maybe they didn’t have a bullet in the chamber,dead. What if they telegraphed too much that they were going for a gun, dead.

Sure it’s what if’s but carrying is not as easy as it sounds. There are countless variables to take into account that could cost you your life, or others.

I’m not against carrying I’m just hesitant on every tom,dick, and sally saying that “if this were me in the situation he would be dead” because they almost seem too eager and too eager to make deadly mistakes.

THATS what scares me about concealed carry.
edit on 20-5-2018 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

I agree, It's one thing when it is just you, but your kids, or other kids??
You can only hope you keep your wits. Perhaps those with military experience may think different, but I'm thinking as an everyday joe.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Im2keul

And the fact that she was almost shot herself shows how stupidly she reacted. If he would have pointed his attention tthen her.2 seconds earlier and saw her going through her purse he would have gotten her first. And she was a trained person.

Putting an average citizen in this situation they would have gotten shot 9 times out of 10.

I won't disagree that many with a ccw/chl would have the nerve if confronted with a similar situation.
However, I may disagree with your stats. There are many that continue their journey beyond the ccw/chl to prepare for such situations.

I understand but I’m talking about in this exact situation 9/10. Maybe they hesitated on taking off the safety, dead. Maybe they didn’t have a bullet in the chamber,dead. What if they telegraphed too much that they were going for a gun, dead.

Sure it’s what if’s but carrying is not as easy as it sounds. There are countless variables to take into account that could cost you your life, or others.

I’m not against carrying I’m just hesitant on every tom,dick, and sally saying that “if this were me in the situation he would be dead” because they almost seem too eager and too eager to make deadly mistakes.

THATS what scares me about concealed carry.

Oh, I get it.
When I carry, I always have it chambered, and my safety is my trigger finger ( only a few will get that).
We can only encourage those that carry to, practice, practice, practice.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Hey mate you're prior service just like me right? Then you know what an AAR is. How many AARs did you sit through where we what if'd the hell out of a mission? Training takes over. She executed that near flawlessly. I've watched the video a number of times and candidly don't see anything other than her strong arm shot was a bit weak. She draws her weapon which I believe is a double action as it looks like she is cocking the hammer. She should have a striker fired pistol as an officer but to each their own I guess. She also closed the distance to the target when she fired the first round ensuring she was going to hit a vital organ which looks like a shot to the right lung. Then she created distance and took cover behind the car. When she fired the round the child was already to her right and was out of close proximity danger.

In my opinion that was one exceptionally well executed engagement. The thing that could have gone wrong was her cocking that hammer. I could be wrong that she was cocking a hammer but it sure looks like it.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Here's an insider view of how off duty military police operate in Brazil brought to you by a sub via Reddit: OffDutyBrazilianCop

Guide to understand how the police works in Brazil (made by a Brazilian)

So, those are the types of Police that we have in this #hole wonderful country. Do not get impressed, it will be a lot.

First of all, the most famous, the Military police, which is organized in a military way, but its not under the command of the army(only in a war, in this case they will become infantrymans or territorial guards).

The MP's are the guys responsible for patrolling the streets, riot control, saving your ass in a home invasion situation, go up the favelas killing arresting the drug dealers, first responders to bank robberies, murder scenes and other stuff like that.

Those guys walk around on uniforms, bulletproof vests and armed with handguns, and depending on the place, with rifles, SMG's or shotguns.

As long as I know, all the patrol cars have some tipe of long gun inside, most likely a shotgun.

All of them have a CC permit, thats why you see some many Off duty cops shooting the thugs, and they have to carry it 24/7, cause there is a huge risk of they being ambushed or to being robbed and then killed by the thugs when they find out, cause the Thug Boss will give the guy some prize for it or at least respect.

There's more about all the different type of police in Brazil so check out the link for all the details!
edit on 20-5-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Thank you for showing your ignorance on the subject. People all react differently in a confrontation. Depends on mood, environment, training, circumstances. Some military trained people will stumble at the wrong time, some civilians will react immediately.

Perhaps in other threads like this, you should simply not comment?

Or keep doing so... it just makes your side of things look more idiotic.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

She is an off-duty police officer...

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

there are about 15,000,000 CCW permit holders in the USA.. You gave people a 1 in a trillion shot at being brave enough to shoot. That equals a fraction of a person being brave enough.. .000015 people have the balls in your world..

You're not thinking clearly.

We have one woman here so how much larger is 1 than .000015?

it's close to 67,000. That's with one example.. You are actually off by a factor of at least millions.

Use real data if you want to know real facts. Your math sucks.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab
a reply to: Outlier13

i'm pro 2nd amendment.

but a gun in the hands of an untrained person is just as dangerous as the attacker.
this woman was trained and had experience in the field. this is not the same as a concealed carry citizen.

in my opinion, people need to be trained if they are going to carry in public.

You do realize you have to pass multiple tests in order to get a permit right? To state or imply that concealed carry holders are untrained is frankly insulting.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I sincerely hope she gets a medal for her bravery.
Amazing woman!

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   
yep....it's a resposibility to keep mentally sharp with an auto....mine is an XDM....no safety by design....so in hog country....behind my gate backed up to miles of lake lavon......i carry it in a certain worn-in way.....finger off.....muzzle out and forward a little....hogs have to respect humans.....we put a little human pressure on em.....with one in the chamber or it won't work, since to load one takes two hands and is half a second slower....also don't aim.....just send one downrange to start the human pressure
edit on 21-5-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Don't do crime....people have a right to not be victimised...it is what it is.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   

To be honest she made a couple near fatal mistakes.

The biggest mistake is when she pulled the gun her line of Fire was directly into a child and if he had not dodged but held his ground she couldn’t have gotten her shot off without potentially injuring them. If she had known that her line of Fire was compromised and withheld fire she would be dead.

I understand that what she did worked out for the best but it boils down to luck between his attention and his actions.

To me it looks as if she would have fired anyway without checking what was behind him. Showing that even police aren’t the most trained in these situations.
naw....

naw none of that is valid......she had it in her hand fast....twas a 1911 auto mil issue.....she worked the 7 year old out of the perps line of advancement in a crescent move.....marines....kept the friggin muzzle at the perp.....hit the safety with second hand....

he filled her angle of vision as he was so close.......after the safety she timed it fast for no surprise bumps or moves by others could interfere....

she aimed.....ambient persons......not affected......ears hurtin though.....point 45 cal.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
She killed a bad dude.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   
This is a trained police officer, not a hero mom but you gun nuts will twist any story to try to your own narrative.

The last thing we want is armed mom's trying to be heroes. Sheesh.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: RMFX1

She's military even.......vets go through a more official readiness for real world duty.....more official and somehow more perfect.....

US Air Force..72-74....ahh, you shoulda been there man, you'd love it....hippy's everywhere with hair parted down the middle for some reason....took my hair awhile to hold that....everyone had a fro......my girlfriend...her sisters her mom her dad.....everybody and our issue m-16's came with flowers in the muzzles....and everyone and their brother had beads in a shape of the peace sign either around their neck or hanging from the mirror in your car....some with little alligator clips clipped onto them....

but the Air Force was a tite bunch....the training meant success....back then reality had a foothold still......apostasy was in it's infancy

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   
we're gun nuts because we like to hike with our grandchildren.......armed.......in bear country

we think the others are just friggin metro men mentality....needing to get outside more....and never get a petticure, please

wait, I could use a petticure....BUT I WANNA DO IT MYSELF

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Did you watch the video? She didn't fumble through her purse she actually used the purse to hide the fact she was holding a gun. As far as cowardice because she was braver then you would be doesn't mean others would be to scared. Now if a guy was trying to grab a woman off the streets in Brazil he didnt care who he hurts or care if he was caught. If that girl had went with him she would be dead.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

i'm pro 2nd amendment.

but a gun in the hands of an untrained person is just as dangerous as the attacker.
this woman was trained and had experience in the field. this is not the same as a concealed carry citizen.

in my opinion, people need to be trained if they are going to carry in public.

We should definitely encourage people to take training classes. If we require training/testing for a car license, we should at least encourage it (even as far as including some kind of reward for passing the test or something I dunno) for firearms.

That being said, they are fairly simple to use, and technically a 10 year old could stop a criminal at close range, saving their own life and that of others, let alone what an adult could do, trained or not.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: RMFX1
This is a trained police officer, not a hero mom but you gun nuts will twist any story to try to your own narrative.

The last thing we want is armed mom's trying to be heroes. Sheesh.

I know! How stupid can you be? Trying to actually defend yourself?? Who are you, Rambo or something? Just do the smart thing, crawl into a corner, and call 911 and wait patiently while the criminals have their way with you and your family!

These people and their fantasy dreams, thinking a simple Woman could ever train herself to use something as dangerous as a firearm properly! Let's see you master the microwave first there little Suzie Soccormom! Haha silly women trying to handle things all by their selves, it's cute ain't it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join