It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hill - Obama Education secretary: Pull children out of schools until gun laws change

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Spot on!!

1) There is no other way of dealing with it that will work. None. There have to be consequences for actions such as bullying, and they have to be painful in a way that teaches that that behaviour will not be tolerated.

2) I hadn't thought about that, as I'm not a social media person, but that might go a long ways towards helping.

Your last paragraph is so common sense, that it shouldn't need repeating...but I will anyway.

The fact of the matter is that in today's world it's been proven time and time again that bullying eventually has very real and deadly consequences. I realize that it's much easier for people to blame inanimate objects than to take responsibility for their own actions, but enough is enough. No amount of punishing law abiding gun owners will solve these issues. Ban guns entirely, and you'll see kids hacking their way through the halls with machetes. Ban knives, and kids will pull a fire alarm to plow down the exiting crowd with a vehicle. Crying about the symptoms is just a futile exercise of whack-a-mole if the root causes are not addressed.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I don't think taking guns away is an option, and as usual those doing the talking aren't addressing the underlying issues which is normal for the media, they don't come up with solutions they generate emotional responses.

Truly I wish I had answers I don't however, taking all the kids out of school is not really an option either....

Making teachers and admins accountable sounds like a good option, I'm not sure how that could be implemented though, teachers are already at their wits end looking after kids who's parents aren't doing their job, for instance I know parents that are total slackers and blame teachers for not raising their kids properly.... It's a messy messy situation, I would say to begin with issues need to be addressed at home before at school...

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Try taking a gun into any court in america. You will not get far , in fact you will not get in. Most of us have been through the metal detector and placed our change in the little tray. Why do we not do this in schools?

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2
Try taking a gun into any court in america. You will not get far , in fact you will not get in. Most of us have been through the metal detector and placed our change in the little tray. Why do we not do this in schools?

Government officials are important.

Our kids?

Not so much.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Apparently.

Surely does seem that way, doesn't it?

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Every one of us wishes we had the answers. Irregardless of what we may think of proposed methods, the end is what we all want...

For this to stop.

Where we disagree, somewhat violently, is the means to that end.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
How about parents raise their damn kids to not kill other people.

Course that's hard to do when all the see around them is killing. Killing of babies, killing in movies, killing in video games, killings on the news daily.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Stop educating until a political whim is followed...I call that pretty educational right there. No wonder we allowed the First Lady to mandate nutritional guidelines that resulted in wasted food. I like turnips in vegetable soup and will eat a bit of raw turnip from time to time. Pretty good source of vitamin C as well. But I realise it isn’t very well liked and would never force it on people.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Obama's education secretary is out of office. Don't these people know they lost?

Actually, NO. They never expected her to lose. And, they are trying to figure out how to invalidate an elected President. At ALL COSTS.

When the IG report comes out, and the investigations conclude, there better be scalps to hang on the wall.

Sorry, off topic slightly, but.....

Fred..

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Is it possible to go all "sci-fi" for the future? As in the gun wont work without the correct biometric read out? Obviously it wont solve anything now but going forward it may help.

The weapons companies would have to be fully on board and stop making ammunition for existing weaponry.

I am sure someone will be along to tell me why it wont work and they may well be correct. The thing is though, there does appear to be a desire amongst "the youth" for change. If something isnt done, that youth in a few decades will be the majority and more drastic change may well be enforced when they gain that majority - which is something the gun lobby dont appear to register.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I also advocate this approach. It's a great idea parents should pull there kids out of school until the gun laws are changed to their favor.

In the mean time my kids will benefit from the reduced class sizes.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
i wonder why the media won't ever report on the thousands of school murders that occur nationally every year without guns being involved? even though violent crime at schools is far worse than school shootings have ever been.

schools need to be given authority to enforce the law and discipline students without outside interference hindering them, that would reduce school violence and school shootings, banning things just hides the problem and resolves nothing.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: namehere

I would imagine they do but on a local level. If a child dies in school it is a tragedy. If a child dies in a school shooting then it is (potentially) mass murder. Mass murder = ratings winner.

Cold, horrible but a reflection of how the media operates.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The majority of these shootings are by children in schools or recently out.

Seems obvious it has some cause in the school system/administration but those who run them or work there are not going to admit it because it then shows that some are a big part of the problem.

Staff participating in bullying or degrading students is an example. Why would this be allowed. The person needs a new profession.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Coverage got bumped faster then normal due to the royal wedding.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Parents have been pulling their children out of schools for years and home schooling or private schooling.

Public schools are a major disgrace in the USA.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
I also advocate this approach. It's a great idea parents should pull there kids out of school until the gun laws are changed to their favor.

In the mean time my kids will benefit from the reduced class sizes.

While they are at it; parents should also pull their families off the road ways until those death traps (far greater issue than school shootings) are corrected. I could use a shorter commute in the morning.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: sooth
I know this doesn't apply to all cases, but a lot of these individuals are just broken people that need someone to listen to them - especially in the case of the young perpetrators.

I know it's been a long time coming, but instantly what sprang to mind when I read this was the scene from Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine, in which he interviews Marilyn Manson:

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join