It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Police Now Threatening to Arrest People Who Make Fun of Their Facebook Posts About Drug Busts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

It's actually been decriminalised in recent times.
Last year the law was changed regarding face to face interactions from "Using threatening, abusive, or insulting words or behaviour" to "Using threatening or abusive...", insulting was removed from the legislation.
A cop cannot arrest you for being insulted by your verbal comments now.

EDIT
Here's the facebook link for the post in the OP again...
West Yorkshire Police facebook - read the hilarious comments
They are so being trolled now it is funny as #.

edit on 15-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

LOL AYFKM?

Not trying to be off topic, but what does that even mean?

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: notsure1

LOL AYFKM?

Not trying to be off topic, but what does that even mean?

Are you $$$$$$ kidding me..

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

It's not like this doesn't happen anywhere else, does it. oh wait, it does!!

Arrested for social media post.

8 Social media users that have been arrested.

American arrested in Zimbabwe

Vancover Island Student arrested

There is lots of these if you take the time to actually look!! It's happening the world over, not just here in Britian. shock horror, even in the "great" and "free" America.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Kandinsky

....I really hope that is sarcasm.

Me too !
It has to be...

It's making my head hurt

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fermy
The pitiful thing here is some folks will actually be scared of the threatened repercussions...the police can do nothing about someone mocking their sorry tweets regarding a miniscule "drugs bust".
Laugh at them, be happy, be free, when you willingly capitulate to bullies you've lost more than just your self esteem.
Laughter and derision are not offensive behaviour, the entire British sense of humor is based on self deprecating humor and ridicule of idiots of which the police officer making these sanctimonious threats is a prime example of.
Go and catch some child abuser immigrants who abuse the hospitality of their adopted country instead of pussy footing around looking for something to be offended by. Pussy nation indeed, whatever happened to the 'Great' bit?

Oi pal it’s not the nation (People) who are pussies but this particular police force.

Just so that you can ponder...

Lags

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
it’s not the nation (People) who are pussies but this particular police force.

Yes it's hilarious!
They haven't even got real constables patrolling 'Wakefield Rural' branch, just a couple of Police Community Support Officers who had to call a real cop to make the arrest. They don't even carry sticks. I'd have started my car, driven off and ditched my pot out the window flicking them the finger before they even had a chance to open my car door.
The guy probably didn't know how little power those guys actually have in their high viz coats.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in their police HQ, desperately trying to put the social media fire out now they've made themselves look like dicks.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

It’s funny reading some of those comments in the context of members on this thread claiming there is no freedom of speech in the U.K.

Absolutely

Loads of Brit people giving them stick but staying within the law, it's hilarious!!
I think that constabulary has made itself look a laughing stock, and they don't quite know how to put the fire out now.
Nicking a young lad for personal possession? I thought that died out years ago, cops in my parts don't care so long as you are not smoking near kids or whatever.

EDIT 7.3 thousand comments so far PMSL, I bet tiny 'Wakefield Rural' branch of West Yorkshire police have 5 comments a week on their average posts, and they haven't got a clue what to do now, they've just shamed themselves LMFAO! This is comedy gold!

Lol give em a break.

The last time that local branch probably had action was for apple scrumping or someone knocking conkers off a tree with a big stick next to some old fogies house...

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Countryside litter is a big problem as well, I bet they stake out beauty spots and pounce on people who don't take all their picnic away, you know, full on dangerous detective work n stuff.
Smoking a spliff in a car parked somewhere nice "Egads! Dangerous drugs!!!" Give me a #ing break, they have shamed themselves, and the comments from Brits are absolutely hilarious.
The whole OP is ridiculous because Brits are calling the cops out big time in the comments and now they don't know how to deal with it haha!

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

To be honest fella I tend to naturally fall into a style which is not 'grossly offensive' in electronic or written communication so the law troubles me not. I call my member of parliament all-sorts on twitter, warmonger, morals of a victorian mill owner, I've even posted "I'd shed no tears if you and your ilk died tomorrow" but that is different to "I want someone to murder you" it's a fine line I just find natural anyway. I haven't trolled the police in the OP yet though, still reading some beauty's posted by fellow Brits. Oh and insults are totally legal in face to face interactions, just 'grossly offensive' posts electronically are illegal. The guy with the hitler salute dog probably would have been fine if he hadn't also taught the dog to salute at 'shall we gas the Jews'. Probably pushed it there.

That doesn't matter. The authorities now get to determine what you can and cannot say online, what you can and cannot hear online, whether you like it or not.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

It's not like this doesn't happen anywhere else, does it. oh wait, it does!!

Yes it does. Does that make you proud?

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Meh, it's never affected my life, and I doubt it will.
There's always 'the hardest gang in town' and following some rules or other. Heck, you have only just been allowed to gamble on sports lol, and at least I can cross a street wherever I feel it is safe for me to do so. You need the kindly advice of your nanny.
You're no more free than I am, your cell bars are just different.
Freedom lmao, the US and Eritrea are the only countries which taxes its citizens on earning when they are working overseas. The only way to avoid it is relinquishing citizenship.
Land of the free my arse, I wouldn't be so smug fella, apples n oranges is all.
edit on 15-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: clarity

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Meh, it's never affected my life, and I doubt it will. There's always 'the hardest gang in town' and following some rules or other. Heck, you have only just been allowed to gamble on sports lol, and at least I can cross a street wherever I feel it is safe for me to do so. You need the kindly advice of your nanny. You're no more free than I am, your cell bars are just different. Freedom lmao, the US and Eritrea are the only countries which taxes its citizens on earning when they are working overseas. The only way to avoid it is relinquishing citizenship. Land of the free my arse, I wouldn't be so smug fella, apples n oranges is all.

I'm not American.

Slavery has never affected your life either, but that doesn't make slavery any better. You either believe in free speech, freedom, or you do not. I wouldn't be so smug while you throw yourself in the latter category.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Oh apologies, I'd always assumed you were from the states.
Free speech is decent enough for my purposes in the UK, so I can't say X demographic should all die, or that Y demographic are all in-bred bastards who deserved their genocide for being brown skinned.
You know, stuff like that, online.
I can say it in person though or carry a sign in town perfectly legally.
I'm easy with it as it is, but cry for me and my fellow Brits if you like, I'm not arsed, I'm more shocked the two 'plastic cops' nicked someone for smoking a spliff. I forget it's illegal in my parts, smell pot everywhere, our cops don't care.
I won't be moving to rural Wakefield anytime soon lol

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Free speech is decent enough for my purposes in the UK, so I can't say X demographic should all die, or that Y demographic are all in-bred bastards who deserved their genocide for being brown skinned. You know, stuff like that, online.

According to the Westyorkshire Police, you also cannot say anything "grossly offensive, indecent, obscene or false".

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

What’s wrong with Yorkshire you southern puff?

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Cornish witch piss beer... not even hand pulled... 😉😉😉

edit on 15-5-2018 by Lagomorphe because: To bed of I go... « Yoda »

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Free speech is decent enough for my purposes in the UK, so I can't say X demographic should all die, or that Y demographic are all in-bred bastards who deserved their genocide for being brown skinned.
I'm easy with it as it is, but cry for me and my fellow Brits if you like, I'm not arsed, I'm more shocked the two 'plastic cops' nicked someone for smoking a spliff. I forget it's illegal in my parts, smell pot everywhere, our cops don't care.

Wish I could Star this all day 100% on point good sir.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Yup, though it's perfectly legal to say any of those online as long as you put 'in my opinion' before it. I was given a visuit by local cops after a spat with Edwina Curry on twitter when working for a kids charity. She'd replied to an appeal doubting the authenticity of the stats saying 'when I was minister I was unaware the figures were like that' I'd told her it was because she was too busy having an affair with John Major and the only thing of note she did in office was give the keys of Broadmoor childrens hospital to Jimmy Saville. All they did was stand around bored for a minute while I explained then left and never heard anything else - no arrests, no charge, no having to give details or logging of event just bored plods desperate to hear words to the effect 'sorry wont happen again' and they can leave.

Rule for police around here is they're fine with weed and wont even mention it if they find you smoking weed unless you're taking the piss, driving or act like a complete arse to them. They'll just smile and politely ask you don't smoke it round old and young people as its basic manners and if they get complaints they have to do crackdowns and raids on grows when they prefer to leave smaller grows alone.
edit on 15-5-2018 by bastion because: (no reason given)

UK police far prefer having a chat to taking anyone into custody, you have to commit one of the bigger crimes or act like a complete tool towards them to do anything. Act polite, put on a telephone voice and you're pretty much immune.
edit on 15-5-2018 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

Haha nothing, I was up there recently, Saddleworth Moor is bleak ain't it, but I ain't moving to rural Wakefield if pretend cops nick you for smoking a spliff in your car. Sack that off!
...anyway, it's only summer for two weeks of the year up there, and you can talk running south to France, fecking traitor, probably eat snails n stuff as well stinking of garlic!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join