It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat Earth = Simulated Universe

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe anyone seriously believes the Earth is flat non-ironically, but for those people who might actually believe it, let me explain to you why the idea makes no sense. First of all gravity pulls things together, rocks and dust clump together until they form a large ball of rock, there is no way they could naturally form a flat disk shape. Secondly, a flat shape would not produce gravity pulling us down toward it, gravity pulls towards the center of mass, so with a sphere we always get pulled towards the center of the planet, we are not "walking upside down" and the fact I even had to clarify that makes me face palm myself. With a flat earth the gravity would be pulling us around in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways.

That is unless of course this universe is a simulation, a flat Earth is perfectly possible in a simulated world, in fact 99% of video games use a flat game world floating in space. If you play an Elder Scrolls game and use a console command to fly around, you will see the game world is a huge chunk of land floating in space. It has edges which you can fall off because the physics system applies gravity in a very simple way, you fall in one direction only. The player usually cannot reach the edge because there will be things blocking the way, so the player isn't aware there are edges and it doesn't ruin the illusion, rest assured the edges are there in most games except those like No Mans Sky which model fully spherical planets.

In other words, when someone tries to argue the Earth is flat and that gravity always pulls us down in one direction regardless of how we know gravity should work, what they are arguing is that we live in a simulated universe where a flat map has been created for us to live on. However I still think you'd have to be in denial of reality to accept that idea because how many people have ever fallen off the edge of the Earth or even seen it for that matter? People sail around the world all the time, there's no possible way they could hide the literal edge of the Earth from us. Not to mention, if we are in a simulation, it's clearly advanced enough not to have flat worlds, it would be an ultra advanced version of No Mans Sky.
edit on 13/5/2018 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I'm not a flat earth 'nutter butter' by any means, but the concept has always fascinated me. Wouldn't it be something if it were to be true? Some theory behind it I can grasp, while others give me the 'lol' factor. I try to keep an open mind regardless of how silly or far fetched somethings seem to be, because today's crazy can be tomorrow's fact.

I like how you brought 'simulation' to the table when entertaining the flat earth ideology, gives another perspective to the whole idea.

Personally I won't believe either to be true until I see for myself with definitive proof. Is that crazy?

Cheers
-StS

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

edit on 13-5-2018 by SurveyTheSurveyors because: Double Bubble Post

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

edit on 13-5-2018 by SurveyTheSurveyors because: Tripple Ripple Post

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder... First of all gravity pulls things together, rocks and dust clump together until they form a large ball of rock, there is no way they could naturally form a flat disk shape. Secondly, a flat shape would not produce gravity pulling us down toward it, gravity pulls towards the center of mass, so with a sphere we always get pulled towards the center of the planet, we are not "walking upside down" and the fact I even had to clarify that makes me face palm myself. With a flat earth the gravity would be pulling us around in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways...

So they were lying about spiral galaxies, and the reality is big round galaxies?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
If the world really were flat, I hope it's like the Discworld.

en.m.wikipedia.org...(world)

The Discworld is the fictional setting for all of Terry Pratchett's Discworld fantasy novels. It consists of a large disc (complete with edge-of-the-world drop-off and consequent waterfall) resting on the backs of four huge elephants which are in turn standing on the back of an enormous turtle, named Great A'Tuin (similar to Chukwa or Akupara from Hindu mythology) as it slowly swims through space

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

So they were lying about spiral galaxies, and the reality is big round galaxies?

There are both.

Physics is a friend.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Lmao you cannot be serious... the galaxy is a collection of separate bodies orbiting a large central mass (a black hole) just like our solar system is a collection of planets orbiting a large central mass we call the sun. Are you going to ask why our solar system isn't shaped like a sphere? Also, many galaxies are spherical in shape, disk shaped galaxies are only one type of galaxy, the shape mostly depends on how the galaxy was formed.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

You said:

...gravity pulls things together, rocks and dust clump together until they form a large ball of rock, there is no way they could naturally form a flat disk shape...

Then you say thay that sometimes things are formed as a disc.

So which is it?
edit on 13-5-2018 by Nothin because: sp

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Enough evidence through science, Photography, eye witness accounts, that any one on earth believes the earth is flat is stupid or from uncontacted human civilization.

Flat earth is ignorance. Flat earth movement is stupidity. If you believe in a flat earth, you are a dumb #.
edit on 5/13/2018 by EternalSolace because: Flat earth is stupidity.

(post by EternalSolace removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

...Enough evidence through science, Photography, eye witness accounts...

Do you believe that whatever science says is 100% correct?
Do you believe that all photography is always 100? genuine?
Do you belive in faultless eye-witness acounts?

Probably not, but you have seen enough "evidence" to be convinced. Ergo: you believe.

PS: Your insults don't make your words any truer. Keep your poison to yourself.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

I’ve seen the curvature of earth for myself... enjoy your delusion.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
You say that no one has fallen off the edge like that is proof of your theory.
If someone had fallen off the edge how would we know?
*Cue twilight zone music* do do do do do do do dooo

Also circumnavigation of the "disc" is perfectly doable on a flat earth, so is gravity.
In fact the only thing that stops flat earth being believable is reality
edit on 13/5/2018 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

So you have seen enough to convince yourself. Fine. We all seem to have a belief threshold.

What if our supposed reality is some kind of simulation?
Would that curvature still be real, or just perceived?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Absolutely . The term "science" would by definition mean proven
Evidently , you do not .
To not know of the laws of physics would probably mean a less than 7th grade education.
Pure denial is a whole nuther class of individual.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
If you were dropped on your head that many times as a child you'd have developed a deep-seated hatred of gravity, too.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   

As physics, observation, astronomy,and evidence imply factually, our Earth and stars, planets in general tend towards a spherical or sphere-like shape. It is proven.

The only way Ill budge is if you consider the idea of parallel Universes with different laws of physics, as well as multiple dimensions.

By multiple dimensions I am suggesting the idea that a second dimension, first dimension, and more, may exist separately from the other dimensions, and, paradoxically, non seperately simultaneously.

I dont generally bring up this theory (yes because it is just a theory) to flat heads because they get too caught up in outright denying the 3 dimensional spherical nature of stars and planets, like Earth.

Black holes, however, I couldnt say what the nature of particulate states are, let alone potential dimensional states within the singularity.

A friend of mine who is smart as heck once postulated that the Universe is essentially a 2 dimensional surface on the "crust" of an ultra massive black hole and is essentially projected into a 3dimensional Universe and beyond off that super volumetric singularity.

Of course, just theory, that quite likely our small human minds cannot grasp.

edit on 5132018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

...Absolutely . The term "science" would by definition mean proven
Evidently , you do not . ...

Yeah. Nope. That's not the definition of science. Nope. Not when you put "absolutely", and "100% correct" in it.
Sorry.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: Nothin... enjoy your delusion...

That's really funny, in an accidental, and unfortunate way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join