It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An experimental album I made that took me to hell and back... I almost died.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Some may know me as the guy that makes stupid jokes. I also make music.

This is a 6 track album I made that took me through the deep end of mental problems that I have, then out again. It was scary for me, but totally worth it.

soundcloud.com...

I'll explain each tracks purpose in detail:

Album name: Where Am I Going?

'Beyond Fear?' - In this track I try to explore negative feelings as positive as possible, becoming darker towards the end.

'The Confessional' - The purpose of this track was just the last few words I said into the mic before it ends, as I used the vocal suggestion to lead into the riff of the next track. There is also wordplay and allusion of themes.

'Just Another Angle' - I take the vocal suggestion from the end of the previous track and relate it into chords, which I juxtapose with contrasting (evil sounding) riffs, and then do some tricky stuff at the end that defies explanation.

'Passing The Grin' - As these tracks each follow chronologically from each other, the trick in the previous track lands me in a very deep space for my music making. This song made me physically and mentally ill afterwards, due to the technique i use based on energy... call me 'creative'. I had to really scrape the bottom of the barrel to pull this out of my ass, and it worked. It's dark and cool. The trick I use at the end completely changes the perspective of the intent of the song.

'Wrong Way Go Back' - This was made in a drug-fuelled frenzy, and appears to be about murder. But not of the audience, you are clapping in it. Nice.
After I get this out of my system the next song is quite a treat, personally speaking.

'Dragging You Down' - The title is a reference to my issues before getting certain problems off my chest in the previous tracks. It is also a reference to the extremely heavy acid bassline. It is a cynical and celebratory track with snark and timelessness.

Please call me an idiot if you feel like it, or tell me I'm wrong about my music. I'd love to hear. Thanks!

edit on 12-5-2018 by throwaway115 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2018 by throwaway115 because: fghdfghfdg

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: throwaway115

You are an idiot.

Thanks for sharing ! šŸ˜€šŸ˜Ž

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely

You are an idiot.

Thanks for sharing ! šŸ˜€šŸ˜Ž

Thanks for being honest.

I'll take it... I'll take what I can get really... gimme everything you got, conspiracy nerds... bet you can't hurt me!

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   

do you know how to play an actual musical instrument? (keyboards don't count)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Yeah man. I made this by layering guitar improvisation

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I play lots of instruments and also make music electronically. Thereā€™s skill in both. The physical skill of pressing keys or picking strings is not music... music is also theory, knowing what notes go together to make a chord or create a feeling.

What Iā€™m trying to say is some of the best musicians / producers probably canā€™t play an instrument but they can manipulate sound and put the notes in the right places to create great music.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Well, you got good drive in your musical horizons of thoughts of the path of one on a musical journey of "this is me".

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   

I'm liking what I've heard so far. Reminds me of Bicep and the French electronica guys like Air and Daft Punk.

originally posted by: Vector99

do you know how to play an actual musical instrument? (keyboards don't count)

Some of the greatest musicians and composers in history were keyboard monkeys. Imagine Chopin without keyboards or even Light My Fire.

I think maybe you mistyped 'keyboard' and really meant to spell 'triangle' or 'maracas.'

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I like the heavy bass on ā€œjust another angleā€ I thought you wasnā€™t meant to us ATS for self promotion though? But while weā€™re at it hereā€™s mine..

Soundcloud

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: throwaway115

Yeah man. I made this by layering guitar improvisation

www.youtube.com...

interesting bit, it was good but didn't seem to keep a beat like your other tracks

Focus on that guitar, I wish I did.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

It wasn't bad, but at the same time it wasn't good.

Everything i heard that could be considered musical (outside the annoying charms) was unimpressive and not really worthy of being discussed.

I offer my opinion on this thread only in the manner of constructive criticism. The OP needs a lot of work.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

I like the heavy bass on ā€œjust another angleā€ I thought you wasnā€™t meant to us ATS for self promotion though? But while weā€™re at it hereā€™s mine..

Soundcloud

Cool!

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
There are some fantastic tutorials on youtube on how to learn how to play guitar and most any instrument you want to play.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Sounds too much like the unraveling of mystical warlords. Tiny ants on the march.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I wish YouTube was around when I taught myself to play. The action was so high and the neck so warped on my first guitar I wondered if you were actually meant to press the strings down for a while!

The thing I like most about music is Itā€™s ability to influence your mood, itā€™s also very subjective. One mans trash is another mans treasure. And considering there are only twelve tones (except microtonal instruments) the variety of sounds/moods from these are astonishing.

I love this piece on a simple Kalimba

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
I play lots of instruments and also make music electronically. Thereā€™s skill in both. The physical skill of pressing keys or picking strings is not music... music is also theory, knowing what notes go together to make a chord or create a feeling.

What Iā€™m trying to say is some of the best musicians / producers probably canā€™t play an instrument but they can manipulate sound and put the notes in the right places to create great music.

Yep...I agree with you... To a singular point. After early years as a guitar instructor... I realized based on the theory of cordant and dis-cordant sounding triadic chords... Both can be "music".

Albeit non-musically pleasant... But music none the less. Correct scale form or unstructured...

Your points to the op are fundamentally spot on.... P. S. His recommended YouTube "improv" guitar piece was....sllghtly disturbing... and I'm guessing reflective of personality traits.

Best, MS

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

I wish YouTube was around when I taught myself to play. The action was so high and the neck so warped on my first guitar I wondered if you were actually meant to press the strings down for a while!

Copy that...

After being a guitar/bass player gigging for years, i decided I wanted to switch to keys. Now after a couple of days with youtube, some practice, I can fake a decent lounge style jazz piano enough to get some hotel bar gigs that pay much more than beer joint power trio jobs.

Confession...I really don't know what I'm doing, I don't know the chord names but just improv with a modified blues scale.

About the only electronica I really like is some Trance. Eventually I should be able to fake that on keys as well.
edit on 12-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Haha well trance is harder to make than people imagine. Good trance anyway..

I dabble on the keys myself and I donā€™t really know what Iā€™m doing past the basics but as I used to record and then produce ideas quite a bit, it doesnā€™t matter in that respect either. Especially with atmospheric synth sounds. Hell with some of the new apps like garage band anyone can make a tune as long as they have an ear for it.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I really like the multiple beats on beyond fear. I also dig the second tune. I also work on experimental music kind of sounds like we are on the same track... Let me know what you think.... m.soundcloud.com...
Keep up the good work.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This is the musical equivelent of an artist flicking paint onto canvas in the hope some fool sees something in it.

Good try but its proper pants!

Experimental my arse its #e!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join