It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why progressivism has the opposite affect you think it does

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Theres so many issues it would take me 5 pages juat to describe how government corruption screws our business and why it keeps us from growing

When you actually run a business and pay attention to the local city council you realize how much control they exert over the market

The founding fathers would have been in fill revolt a long time ago
edit on 11-5-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
progressives are in charge of everything now?

Damn, I am really out of touch

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I might be able to tell you personally some of why you may be seeing some extra demand this year.

For years, we have wanted to hire small contractors to get some work done on our house, and the house has sorely needed it. However, this is the first year that we have actually had the resources to be able to do it.

And we did hire a small local contractor to do the first of the jobs we've needed done.

Assuming that things in the economy hold as they are, we are hoping to continue to get our house worked on at a slow pace, but if things fall back to where they had been in years prior, we won't have those resources (you know, the crumbs).

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy
progressives are in charge of everything now?

Damn, I am really out of touch

FDR

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I might be able to tell you personally some of why you may be seeing some extra demand this year.

For years, we have wanted to hire small contractors to get some work done on our house, and the house has sorely needed it. However, this is the first year that we have actually had the resources to be able to do it.

And we did hire a small local contractor to do the first of the jobs we've needed done.

Assuming that things in the economy hold as they are, we are hoping to continue to get our house worked on at a slow pace, but if things fall back to where they had been in years prior, we won't have those resources (you know, the crumbs).

Well thats good to hear I hope it continues

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Basically, the overall economy has improved enough or had enough resources freed up that we have means again to be able to do a few things here and there.

The past 8 to 10 years prior had largely been stagnant.

It's amazing how different things have been in just a relatively short span of time, and I am very aware how very quickly it can also change back to where it was too.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

OK, my replies are really screwing up, but I wanted to quote your "FDR" reply with,

Um what? Do you mean the president 73 years ago is causing all your problems NOW??

It's not the republicans who control everything now, it's a very distant president?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: DexterRiley

However, one way to counter the business income loss would be to increase the hourly rate you charge your customers. Or increase the cost of your estimates and bids.

That's not how it works in residential construction. I can't just raise prices and pass the cost on to the consumer because the consumer can't/ won't pay it.

In residential construction you can only charge what the market demands.

That's an interesting point.

Theoretically all contractors would have to increase their prices to accommodate the new paid vacation requirement. So, competitiveness shouldn't be affected.

However, the market for residential construction itself could be adversely affected because of the increased cost of labor. The consumer may no longer be able to afford your services.

I believe there is some deep dark economic vodoo that says that these increased costs should percolate through the economy and eventually the residential construction market will stabilize. Then the consumer will move forward with their plans.

-dex

There's another issue, contractors have to compete with cowboys (unqualified and uninsured) these people offer to do the job as well as the contractor and the customer will sometimes choose the cowboy for the job on that basis, it's a risk sure but you would be surprised how many people take it.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Your reasoning makes sense, and you bring forth good points. Conservatives can tend to be better at economics at times. What I can't stand are conservatives who base their views on religious dogma and not logical arguments.

First of all, I would like to ask you if you have proof that people are required to have four weeks of vacation a year. This seems like quite the hyperbole. Second off, I think it is important for workers to have enough benefits to live a quality life, just as it is for you and your business.

I am a small business owner myself, first I was into nuclear technology and now I am tutoring math online. My first business fell flat because my business partner squandered the money I invested and on my part, I wasn't as involved as I should have been. The tutoring business is just starting to take off. I also produce my own music and write books, I do like working for myself and I can see how some policies make this hard, although I've never run into many yet.

However, I can also see why workers want to have at least a minimal quality of life. My suggestion would be to find a middle ground where both can happen, or maybe make it easier for small business owners. I think that small businesses are more important to solving wealth inequality than mega-corporations, which definitely should be targeted with lots of regulations to keep them in check.

In fact, I am for everyone being a freelancer and small business owner and working for themselves. Some people don't like the gig economy because it takes advantage of workers (and I see regulating this in a minimal fashion as a good thing) but it allows people to work for themselves. I take advantage of it all the time. I started out freelancing as a math tutor on a website called Wyzant and there is a website called Fiverr that allows you to sell your trade online as well.

I am for administrators to be phased out and people to earn what they are worth without losing money to administrators. This is best done by working for yourself.
edit on 12amSat, 12 May 2018 04:54:03 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   
What we call liberals today are actually progressives and it's an important distinction. True liberals believe in freedom, our founding fathers were classic liberals.

What progressivism is:
1) A mindset about politics that has no rational basis but appeals to emotion.
2) It is Utopian, always in pursuit of a perfect society (if we just pass a few more laws)
3) Favors the use of government force to solve human problems.
4) Believes that government can produce better results than voluntary and free interaction by society.
5) Never cares or addresses costs, no fiscal reality.
6) Is a dogma based on self-help therapy, using government to address existential fears.
7) Has no limiting principles leading to creeping totalitarianism.

All of the above describes European countries and to a lesser degree the UK, former commonwealth nations and increasingly, the United States. Systems of government tend towards growth even when the economy does not. Once given the power it will inevitably use it to take more power for itself - leaving less for you. When there are no problems in need of solving government will create them. Fear has been found to be the greatest motivator of all followed closely by the maternal instinct; which has been channeled in to political causes.

Critical theory dovetails nicely with progressivism because it establishes historical precedents they can tie to current issues. It doesn't matter how long ago events happened, we are told they still affect people today. This is how they have created the current atmosphere of identity politics sowing the seeds of hatred and mistrust. Make no mistake, progressivism is not a democrat thing, it is also a republican thing. Both parties are selling us the same thing packaged differently. This is why nothing has or will change so long as they control American politics.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

The correct answer will always be the one which affects neither the consumer or the employee at all, only the owner of the company.

Take the hit yourself, or shut your business. The other options are so utterly repugnant that a decent person would never consider them.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I'm also a small business owner, Retail, Wholesale and manufacturing, I don't trust Trumps voodoo trickle down economic model at all. It's never worked before, the working man always gets screwed, disposable income evaporates and that's what my store depends on.

People are scared and I don't blame them.

www.rawstory.com...

but I have a plan....

I've become a LLC vendor/contractor with the Government, both state and feds. I know who's got the money. Now it's up to me to sell my service.

Blessed to have some working capital and options.

But blame it on the progressives.

If Trump is bad, you should be failing bigly and begging for change on the corner. If Trump isn't quite as bad as you claim, then you may be seeing good profits in your business. You really can't have it both ways.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The Federalist has a whole article about this topic from the mommy perspective.

Why governments have baked the 9-to-5 thing into employment so that mothers like myself who would love to spend our hours working when our kids are doing activities or in school are stuck between a rock and a hard place because so many policies mandate a hard 40-hour labor policy.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: fatkid

You're an idiot. He takes the risks and it's his employees that screw up and cost him money but they still get paid.he could fire them but then he has the cost of hiring and training new employees, and they're likely to make the same mistakes.

With risk there's reward. The ones who take the risk should make more than the people just making a pay check and being guaranteed money and vacation.

Most small businessmen don't get to take vacation. They have to work all the time to make sure they stay afloat.

Losers who don't know what owning a business is like, like you make me sick. You just want to take take take not having to worry about where your next check is coming from and want to make as much as the people who do. You probably work for the state and are union. Pathetic

Jaden
edit on 12-5-2018 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Take the hit yourself, or shut your business.

yup, and because of this attitude progressive can't have anymore power

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Progressives don't want power.

They want people to be living according to their talents and the things that bring them joy, not necessities of a dystopian, right wing hell hole of a future.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: olaru12
I'm also a small business owner, Retail, Wholesale and manufacturing, I don't trust Trumps voodoo trickle down economic model at all. It's never worked before, the working man always gets screwed, disposable income evaporates and that's what my store depends on.

People are scared and I don't blame them.

www.rawstory.com...

but I have a plan....

I've become a LLC vendor/contractor with the Government, both state and feds. I know who's got the money. Now it's up to me to sell my service.

Blessed to have some working capital and options.

But blame it on the progressives.

If Trump is bad, you should be failing bigly and begging for change on the corner. If Trump isn't quite as bad as you claim, then you may be seeing good profits in your business. You really can't have it both ways.

Thanks for the advice. I've only been in business for myself for almost 40 years and never been an employee for someone else until I joined the Unions to work in the biz back in O7. I still own and operate 2 LLC; I'm in my office now..... What do you do?

www.sagaftra.org...

www.iatse.net...

But actually I can have it anyway I choose, for you see, I take responsibility for my own destiny. Unlike so many crybabies on these forums.

The next time you watch TV, sports, movies, news, anything....Thank a Union progressive. Union proud, Union Strong!
edit on 12-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Wrong, on the surface and in rhetoric that's what they want but their actions tell an entirely different story.

Look at what FDR's policies and socialization and bailouts have done to our country.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

No.

The things I stated are indeed the true aims of all progressive people. As with any ideal however, there will always be liars and fraudsters, trying to usurp its just and noble nature, to hijack its momentum to serve less decent and righteous ends. People say that politicians are all the same, and largely speaking, that is true. But that does not mean that POLITICS is all the same.

You can show as many examples of someone who behaves abominably when under the mantle of power from the progressive movement, as I can show you examples of people who behaved in inhuman fashion when similarly placed, from other walks of life and belief.

Those at street level, those who live and die according to the principles they believe in, who struggle to make the world fairer for all with every vote, who do their best to uphold one another despite having no resources, it is THESE people, who dictate what is and is not defined as progressive. No entitled, powerful person may ever do such a thing, for progressive politics is about including all people in the process of making the future come to pass, not just a few. It is about ensuring that the few who are able to do for themselves, are never permitted form strengthening their position to make it unassailable, while ensuring that all who struggle are made strong enough to survive, that the fruits of their labours can be better than mere survival, as they should always have been.

It is people who live and breathe these ideals who are permitted to serve as exemplars of its nature and intent. The scavengers and cowards, the packs of bloated predators who roam the halls of power remain the same, largely speaking, no matter which pack they belong to. But it is the people who are the real barometer of what a thing really means. Progressive nature at the ground level, means communities in which no difference between two people is ever considered as important as the things that bring them together, the things they have in common. THAT is the true nature of progressive thinking.
edit on 14-5-2018 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join