It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Earthquake Incoming? (Hawaii/ West Coast)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
It seems that the lava pool in the Kilauea volcano is seemingly draining?

This seems to be similar to the Japanese quake from 2011.

Here's a video from the park yesterday:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: gspat
It seems that the lava pool in the Kilauea volcano is seemingly draining?

This seems to be similar to the Japanese quake from 2011.

Here's a video from the park yesterday:

You mean from a week ago published on the 5th. Got any new info

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Hmm.. Thought this was yesterday...

Anyways.. It seems it drained enough for water to seep in, so they are still expecting a large explosive eruption soon

www.cbc.ca...

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: gspat

Thanks for the update. Not much of a chance catching up with this event.
keep safe Hawaiians.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Nature is so beautifully and interestingly dangerous! Thanks for sharing.

-Alee

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: gspat

Thank you for sharing. And this post adds to a curiosity of how our Little Rock works!
Also your picture still freaks me out lol

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: gspat
Hmm.. Thought this was yesterday...

Anyways.. It seems it drained enough for water to seep in, so they are still expecting a large explosive eruption soon

www.cbc.ca...

That's not what I got from her discussion of the lava lake draining. She said they're keeping an eye on it but they "aren't there yet."

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

That video was a few days back, where she talked about it. The news link in the third post is from a few hours ago that talks about it more.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I've been wondering how big an explosion we're talking about. Something like Mount St. Helens really wouldn't be too bad, because nobody lives close to the summit.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Actually, quite a few people live within a few miles of the crater. We have a family vacation home in Volcano (that's the name of the town), about 3.5 miles away. The devastation of St. Helens covered hundreds of square miles.

But an explosion at Kilauea would be nothing like that of St. Helens (a stratovolcano). It would be a steam explosion. Most of the solid material ejected would be in the form of ash, followed by pebble sized volcanic cinders, with the possibility of some larger boulders.

1) Dropping magma levels cause loss of support of the walls of the crater which lie below the water table.
2) The walls of the crater collapse into the magma channel, sealing it.
3) The steam which is being produced by water in contact with magma has no place to escape.
4) Pressure builds until...
5) Kaboom. Steam cannon.

The distribution of ash could be fairly widespread (depending on what the wind is doing at the time) but would not be of massive quantities. It would be more of a nuisance than anything. Same for the cinders, with the addition that their dispersal would be more localized to the area around the crater. Larger objects would be very few and, being launched vertically, would not impact far from the crater.

edit on 5/11/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Nice catch. I've been following this closely but missed that update.

I loved living in Hawaii the short time I was there. Don't feel totally sorry for the folks losing houses they do live in an active area and there shouldn't even be building permits allowed for that area I feel.

Good to know no one has been hurt so far. Hope it stays that way.

top topics

join