It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Carson’s proposal to triple rents for the poorest could hurt single mothers the most

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Imagine three Type 1's..

That is the kind'a fun I'm having.. Both my kids and myself.

Insulin USED to be cheap, but Lily got greedy. The product hasn't changed in a long time, so why should the cost?

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
As a tax payer I don't want to pay for housing for women who can't afford kids but still have them. You pay for them

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

and you think that these housing units are only filled with single moms??
what about the widows, who outlived their husbands, raised their kids, and are now making the most of life on their social security? I suppose they should have to get remarried, because the best way to live if you are a women is to live dependent on a husband?
freedom isn't free if it's only given to the half of the population that has a penis!!!

but, hey, I am all for women, rich or poor, married or unmarried, opting to not have sex until they actually want to have another child!! I think if they did that, you'd see a drastic reversal in some attitudes concerning a few issues.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Pay the same as everyone else. Simple.
It should be going up by more.
Put an end to hand outs for the lazy.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth
instead of adjusting men's child support payments to ensure they still have the funds to at least meet his needs... which they do... make an honest attempt to make the payment half of the actually costs, including child care while the mother is working...
instead of allowing employers to pay women less because well, she's a mother and they know that it will cause her to lose time at work and be less reliable (even though, that assumption may never pan out) make sure that they pay her what they would deem a man to be worth so she can at least pay for that child care...
and then, find it perfectly acceptable that she is a tad bit out of it because she is living on around 4 hours sleep a night!

I've been a stay at home mom, it wasn't fun, my husband literally kept the bank account only in his name, and rationed the money out like a few quarters were worth their weight in gold.
I've been a working mom... and like I said... lived on about 4 hours sleep a night..

there's one thing I can tell you....
being a single mom... there is no time for laziness!!!

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Sounds like you survived through hard work. Good for you.
Shame about your husband rationing money (an ass hat thing to do)... all money earned between partners is equal in my view. His earnings should have been as much yours as his as creating a home and life together is about so much more than salary.

edit on 5/5/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Widows, widowers, pensioners and the disabled aren't poor due to their choices in life. The destitute need help, I'm not denying that only criticizing those who use government assistance to subsidize their lifestyles. Many could pay that extra $100 in rent if they went without alcohol, nail jobs, drugs, eating out etc.

I'm not a heartless monster, perhaps some of my posts come across that way. I don't see the sense in arguing both sides in a single post so I tend to take a side that I feel needs representation.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Ok, so I am one of the working poor.

I make under 17k a year.

$150 in rent would be a amazing for me!
I pay $600 in rent now.

Maybe I should be looking into HUD for myself?

Are there really working people that can't afford $150 a month for rent?
Or does HUD house people that are unemployed?

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I agree, I used to be the only earner and me and my wife rationed together. Now she doubles my salary, we ration together.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Disability is a different scenario, but this seems to be directed at welfare, not disability.

Also, to help supplement your income, if you are able to drive and put things in boxes you could always go to garage sales on the weekends and find things to sell on ebay for a profit. You won't get rich, but you can easily make an extra $300-$500 a month.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: Southern Guardian

OMG! NO! Say it ain't so Joe?

Their rent went up? Aww hell no.

monthly minimum rent to $150.

$150 a month rent? whoa wait what? They have to pay $100 more per month and its an issue?

They had $50 for a long while, and welfare isn't a career, so, they should have been bettering their income right?

Oh, they didn't? And now need more?

People need to have consequences for their actions or they learn NOTHING>

AMEN!

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
How do you eliminate 70 percent of huds welfare recipients? Require drug testing.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The very worst thing about Trump, in the final analysis, is that he is a selfish, not caring about the poor and needy republican, notwithstanding his horrible and degenerate character flaws, though those make him worse than the usual republican politician.

Every time they get in office any social and economic progress made is dismantled, at least they try to do that. Or cut programs for the poor and as usual cut taxes for the rich.

They rule by this maxim: Rob the poor and give to the rich!

edit on 5-5-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

IF I could drive, which is up in the air thanks to seizures. :-/

I am not happy with it at all.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis

Imagine three Type 1's..

That is the kind'a fun I'm having.. Both my kids and myself.

Insulin USED to be cheap, but Lily got greedy. The product hasn't changed in a long time, so why should the cost?

Because greed. I would hope there is a special place in the afterlife for people like that.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Widows, widowers, pensioners and the disabled aren't poor due to their choices in life.

The usual reply from most of the populace is "yes, they are". I've been around enough miserable #&&%**@)*#$*s to find that out. Those of us on the messy, poor end of the stick get abused in this way a LOT. Even tho my life isn't that poor, the simple fact I am out walking, either for exercise, or going to the local store- I am deemed homeless *because I am WALKING*. I even got told that once, after dropping the car off to be inspected, and I was headed to the library to do something while I was waiting. I am not kidding. Woman tried to give me her leftover McDonalds breakfast. All I could do was look at her, just completely stunned.

As far as the well off, and the fake well off are concerned, we're just there to make them feel better about their fragile egos.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
There is a lot we are not doing, and a big part is creating the welfare state so that the government can have 100% control. I think this is what Kanya was talking about when he said slavery was a choice. That choice is to live in the welfare state or not.

The question is how do you get a single mother of 3 off the welfare? How to you get the dads off the welfare too and support the kids. If we say pro life, that also means we need to take care of the kids too...

BTW the OP is miss leading to suggest 3X increase as something horrendous when it is already less than a carton of cigarettes...lol

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

where in heck are you guys buying cigs at?? my god, when I buy a carton it is costing me less than $30 bucks...
I can reduce that amount quite a bit by rolling my own, which is the way I usually prefer to go... then it's probably less than $20.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Xtrozero

where in heck are you guys buying cigs at?? my god, when I buy a carton it is costing me less than $30 bucks...
I can reduce that amount quite a bit by rolling my own, which is the way I usually prefer to go... then it's probably less than $20.

A carton of cigs here in the UK costs around $150 depending on the brand... Marlboro's are about £11 a pack of 20 (around $15).
Mostly tax. We have a lot of hidden taxes (which when added to income tax and national insurance means we take home about 25p in the pound for our work).

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Depends on what state you are in. Comparing NY to let's say ... VA or NC is like comparing apples to octopi. NY is about $12 or 13 a pack. Name brand cigs in VA are about $5 a pack. They don't really give you a big break for buying by the carton anymore.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join