It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rice ever make you sick?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'm here for a friend.

She has a 14 year old daughter who has recently been vomiting after eating boiled white rice.

If it's fried white rice she is just fine.

If it's wild rice she is fine.

This started a few weeks ago. Her child has been eating boiled white rice her entire life until now.

It doesn't seem to be an allergic reaction , she suffers from none of the symptoms of that.
She just starts feeling nausea and vomits.

None of the other family members get sick eating from the same bag of rice.
edit on 3-5-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Blood sugar issue? I can’t eat white rice myself. To many carbs, makes me shaky

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   
It could be a couple of things, if it has been from the same bag, the bag could be contaminated and it is causing the body to try to expel it.

Also, if she has a little bug, white rice has a high glycemic index, it supplies sugar quickly to the system which could cause some overexcitation in the stomach and cause her to get nauseated. By sticking the rice in the refrigerator for twelve hours after cooking, it turns the starches to more resistant starches and lowers the glycemic index even when reheated. If this is the case, white bread might do the same thing. If she is putting lots of soy sauce on it, soy sauce is a tyramine and it can cause overexcitation if used every day. That could cause an upset stomach too. Does she have a headache to go with it, that sometimes can be related to what I am saying. Too much glutamates can cause upset stomach, it is a cumulative factor too. Here is a link on starches, I usually do not quote Mercola, but I researched this quite a while ago and it does seem correct. articles.mercola.com... campaign=20180430Z1_dnl_v5_30&et_cid=DM208537&et_rid=291427937

There are many other possibilities, rarely do people eat just bare rice though, it could be a problem with a bad companion chemistry put on it. Sometimes people can acquire intolerances to food they overeat too, that happens with soy and possibly with rice.

I am just giving you a few things to try, others here probably have more to add that you can try to find out what is causing this. Even white rice can be contaminated and maybe the rice is old, check the date, it gets an off taste if it gets really old. Smell it too, maybe some chemical from the processing plant got on it. There are a lot of possible reasons, how is she doing with other foods?
edit on 3-5-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Plain ol' white rice doesn't make me sick like that, but if I have more than one bowl in a day (like one with lunch and one with dinner) it does trigger...how to be polite & not gross here...well, I get a serious case of the runs til it works it's way through.

It's really baffled me. About all I could ever find searching around the web was that there's actually quite a few people out there who can't tolerate rice well, and its not just the Celiacs or IBS folks.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
"Rice ever make you sick"

Is that a sentence?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

As an Asian American, it doesn't make me sick but I am told though never to eat too much rice or else I'll get rice belly and diabetes.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Rice sits well on my belly, so long as it has a sh!t ton of butter.
Otherwise it tastes like peasant food.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Rice sits well on my belly, so long as it has a sh!t ton of butter.
Otherwise it tastes like peasant food.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I once got sick from eating my step-fathers rice - I think he put too much salt in it. That made me sick for days.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Curious..

Is she thirsty a lot, like always see her with a glass of water and frequent urination? Get suddenly very tired and has to sleep for a while, lethargic or rapid weight loss over a period of a few weeks?

If that is something new, or starts happening soon she needs to get to a dr and have her A1C checked.

Someone with a high blood glucose level WILL get nauseous and vomit upon adding more carbs/sugar to their all-ready high blood sugar levels.

Might not be a bad idea to have her taken to the doctor to have her A1C checked regardless. There is a huge uptick in children (under 18) becoming type 1 diabetics over the last couple years.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: MteWamp

Is that a sentence?

JEEZ, grammar Nazi anyone? It's not a sentence, it's a title anyhow..... so there...
anyways. to help the OP possibly.. is she cooking the rice herself? even if its from the same bag, undercooked rice isn't good. Uncooked rice can contain the spore Bacillus. so if not cooked right, it wouldn't kill the spore, leading to a food poisoning. same if rice is cooked and left out till its room temperature then consumed, you take the same risk as it being undercooked. just a thought if she is doing the cooking herself..

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Hmmm. Try washing some rice, and then boiling it. Have a chuck bucket handy, just in case. Alternately, try rinsing it after it's been boiled.

I'm thinking gag reflex due to texture.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

If they happen to go to a Dr. have them get checked for an allergy to 'plastic' .

www.thehindu.com...

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: MteWamp

Is that a sentence?

Could be worse.
'Yo, rice gots me illin.'

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Rice sucks up arsenic out of the soil.
Have a read of this link-
www.healthline.com...

Rice pulls more arsenic out of the ground than most other foods apparently.
I eat it every day where I am(Nepal),but I always wash it in hot water a few times before cooking-not sure how much that helps,but i hope it does.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replys.

She is going to get her daughters blood sugar checked and they are going to try washing the rice before cooking.

It's only the kid that is getting sick the other 3 adults eating from the same bag are just fine.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Defiantly keep us up to date on this, please.

We all do hope she is ok, and it isn't anything serious.

Best Wishes!

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It could be a couple of things, if it has been from the same bag, the bag could be contaminated and it is causing the body to try to expel it.

Also, if she has a little bug, white rice has a high glycemic index, it supplies sugar quickly to the system which could cause some overexcitation in the stomach and cause her to get nauseated. By sticking the rice in the refrigerator for twelve hours after cooking, it turns the starches to more resistant starches and lowers the glycemic index even when reheated. If this is the case, white bread might do the same thing. If she is putting lots of soy sauce on it, soy sauce is a tyramine and it can cause overexcitation if used every day. That could cause an upset stomach too. Does she have a headache to go with it, that sometimes can be related to what I am saying. Too much glutamates can cause upset stomach, it is a cumulative factor too. Here is a link on starches, I usually do not quote Mercola, but I researched this quite a while ago and it does seem correct. articles.mercola.com... campaign=20180430Z1_dnl_v5_30&et_cid=DM208537&et_rid=291427937

There are many other possibilities, rarely do people eat just bare rice though, it could be a problem with a bad companion chemistry put on it. Sometimes people can acquire intolerances to food they overeat too, that happens with soy and possibly with rice.

I am just giving you a few things to try, others here probably have more to add that you can try to find out what is causing this. Even white rice can be contaminated and maybe the rice is old, check the date, it gets an off taste if it gets really old. Smell it too, maybe some chemical from the processing plant got on it. There are a lot of possible reasons, how is she doing with other foods?

Can always count on rickymouse for top quality info!

top topics

join