It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk had a meltdown during Tesla's Q1 earnings call.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack
You didn't answer my question but thank you for the Elon Musk info.

Because your question is irrelevant to the topic.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You didn't answer my question but thank you for the Elon Musk info.

Because your question is irrelevant to the topic.

As is your answer.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

As is your answer.

Answers to irrelevant questions always are.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

As is your answer.

Answers to irrelevant questions always are.

As are Irrelevant Answers that pose no coherent meaning.

edit on 3-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

Then you shouldn't ask them.

edit on 3-5-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Then you shouldn't ask them.

Why Not?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I'm not interested in answering for you.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I'm not interested in answering for you.

Then go away.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

No, this isn't your board or thread. I'm interested in the topic despite your foray into irrelevance and off-topicality.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It's not your board or thread either. I too am interested in the topic despite your insistance.

Please respect my space.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

That's nice to see two people that agree on something but argue in a friendly way at the same time. Tis a very rare thing to witness.
My take on the call is that most genius peeps do not handle dealing with others to well. The dude has alot of stress with all this pressure with Tesla being under fire and SpaceX being attacked by Boeing. I say we leave the dude the f# alone and let him figure this out. He is one smart mofo so he can do it as long as we leave him to it.
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
I've always wondered if the oil companies were going to let him get away with building electric cars that are capable of running up to and more than 500 miles range. The batteries that his company designed have placed him in the cross-hairs of the big oil. Sure, his cars cost more, but think of the fuel savings. Electricity is much cheaper than gasoline. All one would have to worry about are tires, brakes and possibly wheel bearings.

Musk should have an internal audit of his company and find the oil companies saboteurs...

I would verify that with people who heat their homes with electric vs oil. Oil is around 1/2 the cost for BTU.

However, the operating cycle of an auto is typically stop-and-go, which favors the electric or even better, a hybrid system.

Hybrid cars are actually pretty good. At least you still have heat and no battery capacity penalty for cold weather. Those 2 faults affect range in an additive way. Almost better to have an inefficient internal combustion engine with all the waste heat if you're in a cold climate. People up north need to let their vehicles idle ALL WINTER, for some perspective. An electric car that runs juice for heat plus the reduced battery capacity is a fail.

Musk might have been misinformed about world petroleum reserves, many huge finds have been announced in the last 10 years. Fracking came on strong too, since the electric car's re -debut.

Gas feedstock from fracking is low octane, which works great with ethanol additive as an octane booster. Anyone who is a car nut knows about E85. For my Audi it's like 105-110 octane race gas for the price of regular 87. My 4cyl is 300hp and 300+ ft-lbs on pump gas. So, the future fuel is going to be an ethanol mix at most all stations, E10, E15, E30 and/or E85. Chevy Flex Fuel vehicles are already engineered for it, and newer engines are being developed to make the most of it. I know this for a fact, ethanol is here to stay in a big way. The effect of evaporative cooling on the charge as it enters the cylinder is greater with alcohol is a big deal too, especially with a turbo and Stratified Mode, where the injector fires as many as six times to stir and cool the piston crown.

www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb.html

www.goapr.com...

Also, cars are a consumer item that follows trends. I think Musk failed to project a flattening of the demand curve. Market saturation for premium eco vehicles, and frankly competition from the marketplace....I could buy a new Focus for $15k that gets 40mpg and is low maintenance and reliable. Average cars are safer these days too, negating another "historic" feature of premium autos.

The newest ICE engines are excellent, improvements have been made, mostly Direct Injection, mixed-cycle engines....VW Budak Cycle (refined Miller Cycle) and Mazda Skyactive compression ignition gasoline.

jalopnik.com/heres-how-volkswagens-new-budack-cycle-engine-works-1818632265

jalopnik.com...

www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-mazda-3-with-skyactiv-x-compression-ignition-gas-engine-prototype-drive-review

www.caranddriver.com...

So, imo Tesla's "super premium electric car" business model is a fail.

I bet if you look at the depreciation curve, and the extended warranty costs....Tesla is a boondoggle for the buyer who can select a Mercedes or Audi instead. Tesla is a decent car for a rental or whatever.

I always state my car opinions on a 3 tier system. One tier I would spend my own money on it, which excludes a LOT of cars. Another tier is if I "won" it in a raffle or if someone gave it to me, would I keep that car and drive it or trade it in immediately, the lowest tier. That opens me up to cars I would never buy, but would like to own, like a BMW X6, for instance.

If I won a Tesla I would trade it in immediately. However, I would accept it as a rental, so I guess that's 4 tiers.

edit on 4-5-2018 by FlyingFox because: gas

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
dp

edit on 4-5-2018 by FlyingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Was looking at the various models and release dates and basing it on price they should have the same model for multiple years with only system upgrades and sensor upgrades and recalls. Just like premium cars do in said price range. Now maybe they still offer every model I read about but I didn’t take it that way on wiki.

a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
is someone not happy with SpaceX?

twilight zone

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Elon is the reality version of Tony Stark minus the weapons trade and hot chicks.

He seems very eccentric and I am sure his investors wish he didn't run the companies he was pressured into selling stock from.

The stock has only dropped a few points from its max in the past 5 years. It was a strange phone call, but it hasn't seemed to hurt stock prices. He will do what he has always done regardless of what we think or his investors.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Wow, that really was a strange conversation or lack of. Not a great message to be sending shareholders. Narcissist are always good for self inflicting wounds, just give them a mic. I'm sure damage control is on this one.
edit on 6-5-2018 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

I don't think that oil companies have anything against electric cars. Most of the electricity that runs through the grid still starts from fossil fuels. And why does his cars cost a lot of money? Because a lot of energy is needed for their production, energy that is still comes from fossil fuels. Even renewable energy is dependent on fossil fuels that are needed to produce the needed equipment.
I do respect Musk tho. He has big ideas and is brave enough to follow them. I wish him all the best for that!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join