It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook to play cupid in online dating debut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The timing is very interesting.
Craigslist personals gets shut down while facebook testifies to congress.
Then a couple weeks later here comes facebook to jump into the dating game.

www.reuters.com...

Zuckerberg said Facebook was building the dating service with an emphasis on privacy, a sensitive subject for people who use dating websites and for Facebook as the company reels from a scandal over its handling of personal information.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Facebook is a fad, and its' not longer "cool" the only people still consistently on Facebook are soon getting old. The younger generations don't want to get a social media that their mom and dad use(and still use) never mind grandma and grandpa.

They definitely aren't going want to date on it! This will be for the 30+ year olds, and like all social media fads, will go away once the new young hip social media pops up. Their only hope for the giants is to continue what they've been doing and try to buy up the new hip things aka the Instagram's, snap chats and WhatsApp of the world. (Same goes for Twitter btw, dying fad)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This is kinda dumb.
There are loads of dating apps already available.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Lock this in with 23andMe and we'll get the attack of the Designer Children !!

😎💡

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

I think that if facebook was part of some grand plan to take over the dating then the youngsters will use the new feature.

If however facebook is just reaping the benefits of such timing and opportunity then perhaps the app will not be popular.

It is claimed they will not match you with your friends and such.

I wonder how many points of contact away from known people they will match you with.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
This is kinda dumb.
There are loads of dating apps already available.

I see that...

Facebook is a giant though.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

If they go all out and allow super detailed options and quizzes, I could see this working. I always insist on seeing a potential date's FB profile before meeting them in person, anyway. This would be great for a lot of people.
edit on 2-5-2018 by Abysha because: claryfyngingngngnging.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Yes, internet profiles are for sure an accurate way to gauge a stranger. People always tell the truth online!

edit on 2-5-2018 by BloodStainedGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

If they go all out and allow super detailed options and quizzes, I could see this working. I always insist on seeing a potential date's FB profile before meeting them in person, anyway. This would be great for a lot of people.

Doesn't Tinder do something similar with the 'before meeting' thing? Isn't that also for hookups? It's based on Facebook accounts.

If they do the super detailed options and quizzes... that's just a more direct and guaranteed way of getting all of your personal information and profiling you down to near perfection. Just another nail in the privacy coffin.

Facebook... you think you're slick.
edit on 2-5-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: BloodStainedGlass

Yes, internet profiles are for sure an accurate way to gauge a stranger. People always tell the truth online!

If a man has a profile going back several years, with many friends commenting on it, and no pictures with red flags (bible quotes, extremist posts, swastikas, rebel flags, snowboarding, etc); I feel a hell of a lot safer meeting him.

I'm not alone with this rule. Scary people out there.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Doesn't Tinder do something similar with the 'before meeting' thing? Isn't that also for hookups? It's based on Facebook accounts.

If they do the super detailed options and quizzes... that's just a more direct and guaranteed way of getting all of your personal information and profiling you down to near perfection. Just another nail in the privacy coffin.

Yeah but Tinder is gross. I'm an OKC fan all the way.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Indeed scary people do exist and the internet is rife with them. A nice looking profile does not make a nice person, be cautious.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I'm old.

What ever happened to meeting nice ladies at the sock hop or going out for a malted?

If we ever had an EMP I'd fear for future generations because the younger generations probably don't know how to procreate without an app.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Yeah but Tinder is gross. I'm an OKC fan all the way.

I definitely don't disagree there.

I found the dating sites/apps to be full of spam and scams, for us guys anyways. Guess I have to stick with it the old fashion way... Bars
...or sitting at home waiting for a good fairy godmother to poof one at my door with a wink and a smile. lol

So far... that damn bad fairy godmother has been the one to deliver and I think she has her wires crossed. I keep saying "Tattoos, Wildish, Fun Loving, A little crazy, Loves muscle cars and driving fast" and all she hears is just "Crazy".

edit on 2-5-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Black Mirror has an episode where in the future we date using some kind of an device that shows us how much time we will spend with that person.

Maybe FB wants life to imitate art...

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If we ever had an EMP I'd fear for future generations because the younger generations probably don't know how to procreate without an app.

Congratulations!

You successfully caused me to shoot coffee out of my nose!

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

There is no way you're old enough to have gone to a Sock Hop lol. What're you, 60 something 😁?
You always struck me as more of a 70's cat.

To think that roller rinks and TasteeFreez/DQ and the like are almost relics of a bygone era, and here you go bringing up Sock Hops and Malt Shops lol. We're all doomed.
I weep for our future.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Gravelbone

Sock hops were what the kids were doing back in my wild days.

Sometimes we'd sit around the victrola and listen to some crazy things like jazz and drink bathtub gin.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

People still go out and drink, ain't no need to be teck savvy for a bit of dutch courage.

With that being said, even the ol drink doesn't seem to give many enough courage... Dating apps and social media can be a problem for some too, too much talk and not the legs to walk.

Meh, it depends what you're looking for really.

Personally I'm guessing Facebook could get this right, though it'll take a whole lot of fun out of getting to know someone.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I really don't understand everyone's problem with facebook. It's only as terrifying as you let it be. At this point everyone knows and has known for a long time not a single thing posted on there is private or technically even yours any more as far as I know. It is what it is. I dunno there's family and friends of there from all over the world I really wouldn't have any other way to contact or even be aware of their lives. I get to see all my cousin's children growing up and the things they do even though they're too far away to visit regularly. I found a community of people from all over the world that work the same trade as me, i've gotten tons of advice from these people and been able to help people on there.

I'm not sure how this new dating feature will work, im sure some people will use it. There'll be some awkward and embarrassing things that happen. Some people are probably gonna get pissed. A few marriages are probably gonna get #ed and either it'll just be another one of the many things on facebook most people don use or it'll be bad enough they get rid of it.

Personally I just look at facebook as a tool like anything else. It has it's place and purpose. I don't look at it like the rest of the internet, it's about the only place online that has any real information about me so i'm fairly careful about what goes on there. I just go with the idea that if I wouldn't want my boss, my grandma, or my friend's and family's young children seeing it...it doesn't belong on facebook. It seems to work pretty well. I also just avoid anything to do with politics, religion, topical events, peopl's drama and pretty much anything even remotely divisive. It works out pretty well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join