It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - If You Smell What The Rock Is Cooking

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Disenchanted1

But that doesn't show when the ref was distracted and someone hit him with a tiny folded lead chair.

Anyway here is the source of the confusion, variant of what snarfbot posted above:

edit on 2-5-2018 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

No - that video outlines the same as what I said in the OP:

The way history has it (now) is that he's always said "If you smell". Promoters added it to his entrance music, but changed it for context to "Do you smell" which he rarely if ever said, so they changed it to a sound byte of him shouting his catch-phrase: “if you smeeeeeelllllll, what The Rock, is cookin.” -and that phrasing has become synonymous with Dwayne Johnson (source).

"Do you smell.." was a voice actor - not Dwayne - and only briefly existed.

Many of us remember him only ever saying "Can you smell what The Rock is cookin?!" - but he never said it at all.

There is no video of him saying "Can you smell.." even once - there's lots of 'residue' (memes etc) - but no actual evidence of him saying it - despite many of us having direct memories of it.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

I was not a fan so I have no memory of any version but I don't think it matters if it was actually Dwayne or not in that video if they played it when he made his way to the ring.

It is his theme and if you hear the words "Do you smell..." and it is reinforced with visuals then there is one version of it which probably stuck with people. When I did a little search and saw that he said "if you smell..." it actually didn't make much sense. Maybe peoples brains thought the same and ad libbed.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Many of us have direct memory of him saying it - not a faintly compounded ad-lib.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Sure, that is what makes it ME but if more than one version exists then maybe the other does too.

He may have only said it a couple of times but that is what stuck.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
"If you smell..." sounds so stupid I think people are simply subconsciously fixing it in their own heads and remembering it less stupidly. Especially since the "If" is at the very beginning when often people don't fully tune in til after the first word which flies by so fast.
edit on 5/2/2018 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Actually the phrase is supposed to be another way of saying "If you know what I mean" and in that case it makes sense. [Insert whole lot of trash talk here]..."if you smell what the rock is cooking".

If it wasn't for this thread I would have never even thought of looking up.

I have to think that there might be a few "Can you smell what the rock is cooking" phrases out there, like if he was trash talking and then wanted to ask the other wrestler "do you know what I mean". I just don't have it in me to sit and watch through wrestling clips to see if the theory pans out.
edit on 2-5-2018 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

THE ROCK HAS NEVER SAID "Can you smell what The Rock is cooking?" IN ANY CITE, QUOTE OR VIDEO.

I don't claim to of watched every video on the internet - but I've looked, another poster here looked, and so have many others reported elsewhere.

I'm making an ABSOLUTE STATEMENT ON ATS - don't you think there's a small horde of people who've been looking, to prove me wrong?

Several of these people are avid fans.. ..they have knowledge, not memories.

They saw and heard something that never happened.

The Mandela Effect is very real.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Whatever, I dropped a few grains of sand and a theory. Makes no difference to me if ME is real or not.

To be honest, after hearing how the phrase was used it makes more sense that it be "If you smell...", guess the timelords thought of everything.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Mandela effect is one of my favorite theories and has been for a while. Partly because i was once in a sort of trouble because of it, mentally, and partly because those who have no such experiences/beliefs are so monotonic and easy to predict. "Faulty memory" "There are no alternate timelines" "Feeling like a special snowflake eh? gosh the ignorance" practically every time ME is discussed. It is very much like a small child, who has been taught a lesson that he can't yet understand, and he hides his head under the pillow, kicking his feet, shouting stuff to keep his old views, rejecting the constant change in everything.

There are many subjects on ATS that i don't care about at all. Flat earth is one. I don't bother to reply, i rarely even read OPs. This same choir is always alert if someone dares to talk about ME, shouting their same phrases. The whole thing bothers them and they often ventilate it out by ridiculing the believers. I guess that is only human behavior mechanisms.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Nevermind....

edit on 3-5-2018 by Ddrneville because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
So we have pages of people saying "He probably said 'Can you smell' a few times and it stuck..".

Many of you stared those comments - because you remember the phrase.

However - it doesn't exist.

No one is able to find any evidence of The Rock saying "Can you smell what The Rock is cooking?".

Many have looked - all have failed.

Isn't that proof he didn't say it in any context that we all remember?

So what now for those that remember him saying it? ..You know he said it, you'd swear it - but it's not there, so how do you feel about the Mandela Effect now? Inexplicably angry?

Just curious..

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Ya! How is this still a question. I don't even watch WWE or wesling, and even going by random clips. Pretty sure the Rock, did say it in different ways depending on were or what he was doing.

When he was wrestling and appeasing to the crowd it was , "if you can smell what the rock was cooking" As in a plural question.

And during the match with his opponent in that whole haggling talking back and forth thing they did, he would refer to his opponent and say can you smell what the rock is cooking, or "if you smell what the rock is cooking when talking to the crowd as well.

But ya! It was literally just all of the above and then some depending on the situation on and off screen. This is by far the least of things that brings any proof to the whole Mandela Effect. It bring less credibility then the whole Mandela is he alive or dead thing. Though I got to say the Rock is a thousand fold more popular then Nelson Mandela ever was.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy
Ah there is a difference between the Rock catchphrase. And Mandela, for one. Well one is about words somebody may or may have not said in literally thousands of shows and plays. The other is if one particular person is alive or dead at a certain time. No two bits about it. Not even about what he said. Just was he alive or dead in "insert time and place, ie date"

Schrodinger cat right? A perplexity. Right? One is either alive or dead, cant be both at the same time. Depending on who is keeping track that is, and who really cares if some person you only heard of on the tube is alive or dead.

Flat Earth compared to this, well this is trying to solve the equation of 2+2= what? And flat earth would probably be trying to solve the whole light-speed equation thing. One is concrete and the other? Well the other is in progress.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

There is another saying he has and it works perfect for this claim...
youtu.be...

It doesn’t matter how he said it because he used all three ways of saying it depending on the circumstances.

CX

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Probably said it a few ways.....all I know is....

CX.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
can we just make this easier for everyone and give the OP his very own forum instead of starting a large % of the threads in skunkworks?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Mate, no offense...but you seem to be authoring a lot of these ME threads.

You will eventually have to come to terms with the reality of the situation...being that your memory ain't that good.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well..

Now there's more people saying he said "Can you smell" but [excuse].

Find 1 video of him saying it.

Funny how you:

1. Remember him saying "Can you smell..".

2. Refuse to acknowledge it never happened.

You know you've looked..

You can't be honest? Who cares what the herd thinks about you, have a backbone.

Can anyone admit there are NO videos of him saying "Can you smell..?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
I remember him shouting, "Can you dig it!?"

Prove me wrong.

That was Booker T. Rock said Can you, If you, and Do you smell... what the Rock is cooking.

Source: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU REMEMBER THE ROCK COOKING!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join