It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump says let guest workers into the country

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Trump, in a speech Saturday in the Farm Belt, now says that he approves of letting guest workers into the country.

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. — President Donald Trump said Saturday that he would let more guest workers into the U.S. to help farmers whom he said may suffer "a little pain for a little while" because of his own efforts to renegotiate trade deals with several foreign partners.

"For the farmers, OK, it's going to get good," he said at a political rally here, about a 45-minute drive north of Detroit. "We're going to let your guest workers come in."

Source

The article says that this actually did not go over well with the audience.

A local source (note: pro-Trump and conservative source) , Michigan Live confirmed the remarks and added

He also gave a nod to farmers in Michigan, saying he supports farmers employing guest workers and making the process easier, but said "they have to go out" of the country when they're done. Of the country's existing immigration laws, Trump said they are "the stupidest on earth."

The news sources mostly mention it as an off-hand remark (as the local source, Detroit News does) and focused on other remarks such as "Fix the Soo locks."

I know that one of his sons owns the vinyard and has, according to reports, had trouble finding workers. It's interesting to speculate just what Trump means by saying he's going to let farmers have their guest workers in.

Given his other stances, I doubt that it'll come to anything.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the current impact of the trade spat with China is on farmers. My sources say they're concerned and that some crops have been left to rot due to a number of factors. However, I don't have solid data here.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
pretty sure he's always been pro legal working/ immigrant so nothing new here

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I see no problem with letting people from Mexico come here in work if they get the proper documentation and follow the rules of the agreement. I am against people sneaking in and causing problems, the good people should be able to come in if they do it legally and are not criminals.

I think the numbers of these people should be regulated though.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
With all the new "regular" jobs, it's a good point isn't it.

Americans in big cities can't really drive hundreds of miles a week to a rural job can they?

I know I know, the buses don't go that far.
[|😃|]

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Most people who want to see the border secure and the human and drug trafficking stopped, are also for a new guest worker program and an easier path for people to enter legally. That gets ignored in the stupid partisan bickering.

This whole thing could be dealt with easily if only they would drop the perpetual campaigning and do some work and compromise.

To me it seems pretty easy really. Link the entrance permission to having a sponsor to employ them in the US and make the employer liable for making sure they leave when they are supposed to. The whole process should not take more than a couple of months since they are not looking to be citizens anyway.

Won't happen though in this climate with both sides acting like idiots.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

If, when these welcome immigrants come in for a job, and if some of them commit a crime, lets hope that Fox puts it on the front page like they do now, and blame Trump for it, like they blame the Dems now. OK.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The only reason this even seems surprising is the false narrative pushed by the MSM that Trump hates immigrants. He has never said anything to that effect that I have heard. He has only talked about illegal immigrants. The MSM has twisted that around to try and make it seem like he means all immigrants.

This is the same man who suggested a DACA increase in return for a stop to illegal immigration. The same man who has continually berated Congress for ignoring the DACA situation. The same man who talks about a "big beautiful wall" with a 'big, beautiful door" in it. The news never seems to mention the door.

Legal immigration improves the country. New blood, new ideas, new energy. Illegal immigration brings freeloaders who often simply don't want to actually be a part of the country, or who could not be for one reason or another (as in criminals). Sure, some illegal immigrants are just looking to escape a bad situation, but some gang members are only doing what they do because they're afraid of the other gang members. That doesn't excuse the crimes they commit.

I agree with Trump, BTW. If there are jobs open, it should be simple enough to fill them with foreign labor. It should also be harder than filling them locally with kids willing to work. I want America first, not America alone. The two are not the same. America can be great again without being isolated and without being hateful... indeed, those two traits are the opposite of greatness.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

If, when these welcome immigrants come in for a job, and if some of them commit a crime, lets hope that Fox puts it on the front page like they do now, and blame Trump for it, like they blame the Dems now. OK.

I think you may need to look up the definitions of "Legal" and "Illegal"

Because it seems you don't understand.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is nothing new. Partisan hacks would see to it that Trump hates illegals.

Naw, he hates that they break the law emtering. Its all been about legal entry. Course, the leftist would have you believe he is anti immigrant and such, comical and simply wrong.

I want stronger border protection and solutions for revising our immigration system, tougher penalties for those that break the law trying to enter illegally.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

In all fairness, I don't believe Trump has said that he was against guest workers or guest worker programs.The problem I have is that he does not seem to be advocating for ideas that make the process easier or more efficient.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Of the country's existing immigration laws, Trump said they are "the stupidest on earth."

So what you are saying is, that .. you kept the right ones out, and let the wrong ones in?

It's amazing!

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I would not consider Michigan part of the "Farm Belt", seems like an odd remark.
[Sure there are some farms in Michigan.]

....nor would I consider MLive a conservative paper....although it does come out of the West Side of the State.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

If true we should expect to see food prices rise.

Maybe trump was shown some data that suggested that the rise in food prices was going to lead to mass unrest in the US?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I can only speak for the UK, but our farming industry desperately relies on 'guest' workers. Prior to the EU we always had a scheme for seasonal workers because British people don't want to do the work.
Just if you're interested...
Brief history migrant workers UK

In response to labour shortages following World War II, the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme (SAWS) was introduced in 1945, allowing foreign nationals to temporarily reside in the UK in order to harvest fruit and vegetables.
The bulk of SAWS workers were Eastern European or from the former Soviet Union.
Although initial quotas were low, farms quickly began to rely on these workers, causing quotas to steadily increase to 21,250 in 2009.
In 2013, the scheme was scrapped due to the increasing availability of workers from within the EU.

Even after Britain leaves the EU we will still need foreign workers or the country would collapse.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

To me it seems pretty easy really. Link the entrance permission to having a sponsor to employ them in the US and make the employer liable for making sure they leave when they are supposed to. The whole process should not take more than a couple of months since they are not looking to be citizens anyway.

I like it! Can we send you to Congress to show them how a nice, clearly worded idea might solve several issues at once?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I would not consider Michigan part of the "Farm Belt", seems like an odd remark.
[Sure there are some farms in Michigan.]

....nor would I consider MLive a conservative paper....although it does come out of the West Side of the State.

Wasn't my labels. T'was in the articles I linked. Mind you, I could have misread.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
The only reason this even seems surprising is the false narrative pushed by the MSM that Trump hates immigrants. He has never said anything to that effect that I have heard. He has only talked about illegal immigrants. The MSM has twisted that around to try and make it seem like he means all immigrants.

In that case, perhaps you can explain why the audience of his supporters reacted so negatively to his comments (according to the article, shouts of "build the wall" were part of the protest)?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

If that is the case, I wonder how unbiased and accurate the source is.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Politics aside does the US not have a problem attracting it's citizens to work on farms like the UK does?
Major problem here, crops would wither without foreign workers.

EDIT
Open question to anyone really, I'm just interested if it's the same over there.

edit on 29-4-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join