It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump says let guest workers into the country

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
pretty sure he's always been pro legal working/ immigrant so nothing new here

Trump has been Pro and Con on almost everything over the years - - depending on his mood, audience, if it benefits him, time of day, etc.

Consistency is not Trump's strong suit.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

The hypocrites tins this thread literally made me chuckle.
if it involves Trump, it must be OK, it must be progress. I will say it again, a flying monkey overly zealous cult following of this man. It boggles my mind.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I see no problem with letting people from Mexico come here in work if they get the proper documentation and follow the rules of the agreement. I am against people sneaking in and causing problems, the good people should be able to come in if they do it legally and are not criminals.

I think the numbers of these people should be regulated though.

You should research the current difficulty of US farmers legally having Mexican workers.

Something needs to change.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Politics aside does the US not have a problem attracting it's citizens to work on farms like the UK does?

I don't live near any farms, so I have no personal knowledge.

I will say that judging by the landscape crews I see, there's a very good chance your statement is true.
I do know that some of the landscape workers come north every year....and I suspect they are here legally.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

The standard narrative by the left is to conflate illegal aliens and legal immigration.

If that's the case, then bank robbing can be changed to "making a withdrawal".

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Politics aside does the US not have a problem attracting it's citizens to work on farms like the UK does?

I don't live near any farms, so I have no personal knowledge.

I will say that judging by the landscape crews I see, there's a very good chance your statement is true.
I do know that some of the landscape workers come north every year....and I suspect they are here legally.

Cheers for that

On a related note, Britain doesn't train enough nurses and other key workers and instead relies on head-hunting the best from commonwealth countries and eastern EU. Watched a documentary about it last week, Jamaica is pissed off about spending a fortune training them then losing their best to higher wages in the UK.
It smells all a bit like Britain exploiting poorer nations to me, but we need them while we train so few of our own.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

These guest workers are only South Americans and mostly Mexicans the very people Trump wants to keep out.

Maybe this is because he uses these kinds of workers in his own establishments, but this seems like a wide contradiction to his basic anti-immigrant philosophy.

Because you could bet your bottom dollar that these guest workers will NEVER go back to Mexico.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
Trump, in a speech Saturday in the Farm Belt, now says that he approves of letting guest workers into the country.

When did Trump ever say he did not support legal guest worker programs? Personally, I think he's been too lax on the HB1 visa issue.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
pretty sure he's always been pro legal working/ immigrant so nothing new here

Nothing new here? The fact is most illegal immigrants first came here legally.

These people aren't going back to Mexico and we all know that.

The majority of immigrants settling in the U.S. without authorization are first coming to the country legally, raising questions about the effectiveness of President Donald Trump's plan to build a wall on the ...

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

In that case, perhaps you can explain why the audience of his supporters reacted so negatively to his comments (according to the article, shouts of "build the wall" were part of the protest)?

We live in a very volatile time. Trump says we have people coming from countries where the VISAs are not receiving proper vetting; his detractors get a judge to stop him from having any power over immigration. Trump says criminals are coming in with other Mexicans; his detractors scream he called all Mexicans criminals. When anyone is so vociferously and regularly attacked without just cause, people tend to see the attacks as an agenda to remove their power to vote or to have any voice in their government. And to be honest, that is exactly how I see the attacks now: nothing less than an attempt to remove my right to vote.

In that atmosphere, you will get pushback. It's just human nature.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Trump's Hard Line on Immigration Ruffles Farmers Short on Labor

This is why Trump is changing, the farmers will not vote for him next time, without a doubt.

This along with the trade policies of Trump can seriously hurt farmers and they're scared.

Rural America turned out for President Donald Trump in the election, but as farmers get ready to hear him speak at the American Farm Bureau Federation conference on Monday, one issue looms large: a shortage of workers. The Trump Administration’s hard-line stance on immigration and an increased focus on deportations have farmers worried that they won’t be able to find workers to harvest their crops. It’s one of a few key issues, along with trade, that run counter to farmers’ interests.
www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Rural America turned out for President Donald Trump in the election, but as farmers get ready to hear him speak at the American Farm Bureau Federation conference on Monday, one issue looms large: a shortage of workers. The Trump Administration’s hard-line stance on immigration and an increased focus on deportations have farmers worried that they won’t be able to find workers to harvest their crops. It’s one of a few key issues, along with trade, that run counter to farmers’ interests.

Same as the UK then.
Here's an out of the box idea, what about offering citizenship to current illegals who can prove they've been here for however long if they do a season or two on the farms?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: Blaine91555

To me it seems pretty easy really. Link the entrance permission to having a sponsor to employ them in the US and make the employer liable for making sure they leave when they are supposed to. The whole process should not take more than a couple of months since they are not looking to be citizens anyway.

I like it! Can we send you to Congress to show them how a nice, clearly worded idea might solve several issues at once?

I think everything the government does is and could be that simple. It is that simple for businesses. We would be better off if we hired a competent management team and sent the politicians on a nice, long vacation. A compound on one of the Aleutians maybe where they could be treated humanely and solve disputes with Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Can I volunteer to build the robots?

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I think a Redneck version would be very appropriate.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

This is why Trump is changing, the farmers will not vote for him next time, without a doubt.

This along with the trade policies of Trump can seriously hurt farmers and they're scared.

www.bloomberg.com...

from ☝️

About a quarter of the U.S. farm workforce, more than 300,000 people, don’t have valid immigration papers, according to a 2009 survey by the Pew Hispanic Center. Other studies suggest the number may be more than 1 million and as much as 70 percent of all workers. A policy focused on closing the border could shift 61 percent of U.S. fruit production to other countries and send jobs to nearby nations such as Mexico, according to a 2014 study commissioned by the federation.

😃

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: rickymouse
I see no problem with letting people from Mexico come here in work if they get the proper documentation and follow the rules of the agreement. I am against people sneaking in and causing problems, the good people should be able to come in if they do it legally and are not criminals.

I think the numbers of these people should be regulated though.

You should research the current difficulty of US farmers legally having Mexican workers.

Something needs to change.

Yes, something needs to change. The legal cost for someone to apply for citizenship or residency is way too high, the lawyers are getting a lot of money, money that these immigrants do not have to spare. The system was written by lawyers, that is the problem.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Annee

how many are we "short"?

Trump officials open border to 15,000 more foreign workers (July 2017)

H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers

I live on the border in an agricultural area.

It's a daily discussion -- direct from those it affects -- both sides.

Shortage of crop workers is serious.

I know of one farmer that abandoned his US farm and moved his whole operation to Mexico.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Firstly, he also said they they will return from whence they came from once the work is done. Chances are that a new worker-program will be enacted such that the monitoring & returning of the workers is part of the package.

If, as Trump said, there is a shortage of those particular workers for those particular jobs in America and that outside workers are needed, well, nothings changed other than it not being used as an excuse to remain in the country illegally as appears to be the current situation.

So, in effect, he's helping American primary industry by ensuring they have those much needed guest workers and also keeping to is word of kerbing illegal immigration of which the current program is clearly being exploited by individuals who want to live in America without going through due process.

Trump also, at the same time, mentioned the wall again too. The building of the wall will be the catalyst to put all the new immigration policies into place.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join