It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genealogical Website DNA Data Used to Nab Golden State Killer Suspect

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: redhorse

I'm talking about stuff like this:

And this:

But the real takeaway centers on a new, nuanced pattern within white supremacist groups to redefine and solidify their ranks through genetic ancestry testing, said Aaron Panofsky, a UCLA sociologist who co-led the study presented Monday at the American Sociological Association’s 112th annual meeting in Montreal.

“Once they start to see that a lot of members of their community are not going to fit the ‘all-white’ criteria, they start to say, “Well, do we have to think about what percentage [of white European genealogy] could define membership?” said Aaron Panofsky, a UCLA sociologist who co-led the study presented Monday at the American Sociological Association’s 112th annual meeting in Montreal.

How white supremacists respond when their DNA says they’re not ‘white’

Yes. I saw that. I'm not convinced. The venue is suspect. Also, we don't know what test was used. There are calculators on GedMatch that tell me I'm only 50% European. Probably not true. I suspect a distortion and they went with the one that said what they wanted for maximum sensationalism.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

What are you convinced or not convince about? My point was that bigotry is reduced when bigots find out that their ancestry includes the ethnic groups and/or races that they were previously bigoted against. DNA tests clearly can help with that.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

What are you convinced or not convince about? My point was that bigotry is reduced when bigots find out that their ancestry includes the ethnic groups and/or races that they were previously bigoted against. DNA tests clearly can help with that.

I guess, I'm just quibbling about percentages in his case. Considering where Craig Cobb comes from, he may have African DNA. The 14% claimed in the show is highly unlikely though. However, he went on to test again and came up with 97% percent European and 3% (of an ethnicity he declined to name) that he blew off as "some Iberian thing". Now, that 3% would makes more sense and I think it's suspect that he won't name it. 13% would indicate a great grandparent or even (recombination) a grand parent. It's just not likely.

For the record, I hope that it's true. I hope that racist a$$hole has an African ancestor. I really, REALLY do. A recent one would be fantastic, and could likely be proven.

I get your point and my point is, that most white bigots (in the U.S. at least) are only going to find what they expect to see. This guy is an exception. So am I to be honest. So, breaking down those conceptions of race are not as likely as you think. That's all.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

It kind of seems like this is where things are going. Instead of fighting it, I wonder what would happen if we embraced it. The degradation and loss of privacy.

What if we turn things around on Them... NOBODY should have privacy. We should be applauding this invasion of privacy! Hey, everyone, look what we accomplished! Imagine what Else we could accomplish if we took away even More privacy from even More people!

Let's start with those who have the biggest impact on our society, those with the greatest potential to do either good or bad. Dangerous criminals, public servants from cops to POTUS, and the wealthy.

It's already being degraded anyway, we may as well get something out of it! Fine take my privacy, but I want Yours, too! 🔫 Hand it over, nice and easy... and nobody gets hurt.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Couldn't 13% also mean that he had 4 black relatives that were much more distant than great grandparents?

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Couldn't 13% also mean that he had 4 black relatives that were much more distant than great grandparents?

Well, yes it could. In fact, technically if he is descended from trans-atlantic slaves, he would have many different relatives that were African further back. It's inevitable.

Given his age and the time frame, I would say 14% is just too much. That would mean at least two mixed race great grandparents that were almost certainly at least aware of African heritage and "passing". Possible, and I suppose there would be those who found a partner who could pass as white and they both went in together. It just might be possible to suss this out but at the same time, these folks often went to great lengths to hide their heritage and avoid documentation, even with fairly recent relatives. I have been beating my head against that wall with my own ancestors.

That percentage, even for his age, is significant and would be very unusual.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think the elephant in the room that has been missed so far here is that this is not just accessible to law enforcement. This is public information. It is accessible to any person who wants find out who you are. All they have to do is get a sample of your DNA and send it off to see who your family members are.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
In other words, if you've got close family members submitting their DNA to these places, there's a good chance that it could be used to find you from your DNA and a bit of public records/social media research.

Then I guess I should cut down on all my killing.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

My point was that bigotry is reduced when bigots find out that their ancestry includes the ethnic groups and/or races that they were previously bigoted against.

Maybe. But never underestimate a person's ability to hate. There are a lot of people in my own family who I have scrupulously avoided for a variety of reasons. DNA ain't gonna make me suddenly think they're okay.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse
I suspect a distortion and they went with the one that said what they wanted for maximum sensationalism.

I have also read that sometimes the people at the DNA testing lab will purposely lie to a racist just to screw with them. There's no oversight for any of this stuff.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: redhorse
I suspect a distortion and they went with the one that said what they wanted for maximum sensationalism.

I have also read that sometimes the people at the DNA testing lab will purposely lie to a racist just to screw with them. There's no oversight for any of this stuff.

How would they know which customers are racists? By this logic, some of their employees may also be racists and may either deliberately lie to non-racist customers or deliberately lie to their fellow racists (in order to help their "purity" claims).

Speculation goes both ways with that.

originally posted by: Blue Shift

My point was that bigotry is reduced when bigots find out that their ancestry includes the ethnic groups and/or races that they were previously bigoted against.

Maybe. But never underestimate a person's ability to hate. There are a lot of people in my own family who I have scrupulously avoided for a variety of reasons. DNA ain't gonna make me suddenly think they're okay.

I said it's reduced, not eliminated.
edit on 27-4-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Not to mention that the "black" classification varies depending on the country and state/province. For example, around 50% of Brazilians have 50% African blood or more. But less than 8% of Brazilians are classified as "Afro Brazilians" because there are so many different racial classifications there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join