It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge rules New York City bar can refuse service to Trump supporter wearing MAGA hat

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

Remember when men removed their hats when they entered a building?

Remember when it was the womans job to cook and clean for her man?

Yep those times were good.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Yup for the folk who sling snowflakes around a lot they sure are acting like them.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Remember when a bakery refused a Gay couple a cake, or the Pizza place, or the wedding photographer, and a majority of people said it was their "right" to deny who they wanted, and the people should just find another business, those same people should love and support this now...right

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

yes they can and it is a bullcrap rule. but the real reason he lost was its new york they run that place like its a country separate from usa.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

first responders don't tow the cars away after an accident, tow trucks are called in... the women called her mom, called her machanic, who was busy and wouldn't be able to get there in a timely manner so her arranged for the tow, from another state. the crazy tow truck driver spent over an hour driving to that state to tow the car home, but then decide he didn't want to tow it... the first responders were there, would have arranged for a tow, but she thought she had one.

maybe we should ban crazy??

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: luthier

maybe we should ban crazy??

Why? Sometimes I enjoy your posts.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I wish I felt the same about ours, Socky.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

We shouldn't ban anything. We should encourage common sense.

If there is an emergency call a first responder. They are public servants. If it's subzero and you could die, relying on a tow truck worker is probably not a smart call.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I wish I felt the same about ours, Socky.

It's not easy being a Masonic-Illuminati-Sock Puppet for the Russians.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

At least we have a cool hat.

That we NEVER take off for anyone, ever.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

for the most part, mine is treat others how I would like to be treated, or to put it plainer, be kind..
and for the most part I agree, if business owners want to be stupid and refuse people's money, well let them..
but then, they should be required to have their position clearly displayed at the storefront and in their advertising so they don't waste other people's time and it's only as long as denying the service isn't endangering anyone's life and there is alternatives within a reasonable distance. like you said, it's a crappy business model that usually ends up killing the business once their policy is made known because well... you are offending many more people than just the person you are refusing at the counter, or just the group you are targeting because others will just find the whole idea stupid and offensive, regardless of what the group is.

It’s all selective outrage being blown out of proportion by the media and political hacks on both sides. I’m over it at this point and think we should all get back to what’s important. What’s best for our country and not just the coasts, but the country as a whole and that’s my main argument against the left. A lot of us in middle America felt we were forgotten by not only the Dems, but the Republicans too. Hence my vote for Trump to buck the system. The country was already spiraling out of control with all the meddling going on in the ME, exploding national debt, politicians working for corporations and not for he people. I’m not 100% sure Trump will fix the economy with his ideas but they sure sounded better than the same old same ol Hillary promised in her campaign, so I voted Trump. I definitely didn’t vote for him because I’m a racist or have some type of hatred towards others unlike me, which I feel is what is thought of most Trump supporters right now. That’s also why you see so much hatred towards the liberal media from us, because they’re literally trying to divide you and I based on falsehoods that only the extreme on both sides display and get attention for.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

oh, it wouldn't matter what they were refusing to who.... if I knew they were routinely refusing service to a mass group of people instead of how those people were acting within their place of business, I probably wouldn't be doing business with them. if you choose to go down that road, then you best be aware that sooner or later, it will be you who are finding yourself out in the cold for no other reason than "we don't like this or that about you even if we don't know a thing about you".

I am more looking at the magnitude of harm that is possible in the individual cases that I've seen...
a man in a city with a fleet of taxis and subway system is refused alchohol at one of the local bars.... no big deal in my eyes. and if his friends did run up over a hundred dollars on his tab after he was refused well, they are really some crappy friends in my book...
a person refuses to deliver heating oil in the middle of winter (only if they were trump voters), well, that is a much bigger deal in my book, especially if there is only one or two places where you can get it.
I do think that such policies should be clearly stated in advertisements and in the windows of the businesses though, my time and energy is just as valuable to me as theirs is to them and I've spent far too much of my life walking to the places I wanted to go to and I know how I would feel if I had walked a few miles to a place just to find out I am not welcome.
a hospital that will turn you away while you are miscarrying your baby fully aware that there is no hope for that baby but won't tell you that, or offer the safest remedy (abortion) or advise to go to a hospital that will give you that safe remedy should have to clearly display this policy on every door !! and yes, if I ever did see such a sign, I would go elsewhere... despite the fact that I am way past the age of having to worry about being pregnant.
and, yet, it's not required, in some areas, it might be the only hospital within a hundred mile radius or more, and yes, it's allowed and they even receive federal money to provide this care!

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
It's a stupid business move to refuse people wearing a political hat...

Absolutely, this place is known for one of the best burgers in NYC.

If the Yelp rating for "The Happiest Hour" is any indication, this stunt is backfiring BIGLY...

“This bar discriminates against TRUMP supporters. Fine, you’re in the village and 90% of your customers don’t care you discriminate. But guess what….50% of your potential customers on the internet do!!!” Jeffrey S. wrote on Yelp. “Funny, it’s always the liberals discriminating nowadays.”

The Happiest Hour - 139 Photos & 327 Reviews - Yelp

edit on 4.26.2018 by Murgatroid because: Felt like it...

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

If the patron was refused service due to intoxication, that is a valid reason, if the patron refused services purely due to bias, that's idiocy.

I'm a Yankees fan and if I owned a bar, should I kick out a mets fan wearing his team hat in my bar? hell no; firstly it's bad for business-less customers less revenue. Secondly it reflects poorly on the team itself-people would catch wind and the animosity and bad press would spread, and thirdly you should be able to drink at whatever establishment you want.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: DBCowboy

At least we have a cool hat.

That we NEVER take off for anyone, ever.

And cool secret signs and that Masonic decoder ring....

OOOPS!

Nothing to see here, folks. (where's my darn Neuralyzer-flashy-thing?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: TheJesuit

If the patron was refused service due to intoxication, that is a valid reason, if the patron refused services purely due to bias, that's idiocy.

I'm a Yankees fan and if I owned a bar, should I kick out a mets fan wearing his team hat in my bar? hell no; firstly it's bad for business-less customers less revenue. Secondly it reflects poorly on the team itself-people would catch wind and the animosity and bad press would spread, and thirdly you should be able to drink at whatever establishment you want.

Given that his tab was over $130, I think that he might well have been quite intoxicated.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
Remember when a bakery refused a Gay couple a cake, or the Pizza place, or the wedding photographer, and a majority of people said it was their "right" to deny who they wanted, and the people should just find another business, those same people should love and support this now...right

In this case, he seems to have been very drunk. And bars are supposed to refuse service to someone who's visibly drunk (on the grounds that they're a danger to themselves and everyone else (driving, etc.))

Now.... look at this exchange between the man's lawyer and the judge:

“He was paying spiritual tribute to the victims of 9/11. The Make America Great Again hat was part of his spiritual belief,” Liggieri claimed. "Rather than remove his hat, instead he held true to his spiritual belief and was forced from the bar,” Liggieri told Justice David Cohen, the Post reported.

The judge pressed Liggieri on the spiritual nature of his client's belief, saying the bar staff would not be aware of Piatek’s specific religious philosophies.

“How many members are in this spiritual program that your client is engaged in?” the judge asked.

“Your honor, we don’t allege the amount of individuals,” Liggieri said.

“So, it’s a creed of one?” the judge asked.

“Yes, your honor,” Liggieri replied, the Post reported.
from the end of that Fox News story

So he's a cult of one with the MAGA hat as his religious belief expression. At least, according to his lawyer.

...don't you think that's just a tiny bit "out there"? And as the judge said, how could you tell an "I'm a Trump Supporter MAGA hat" from a "MAGA is my religion" hat?

And is a religion of one person a real religion? (according to anthropology (I'm an anthropologist), the answer is "no." It's a personal belief only.)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid

originally posted by: theantediluvian
It's a stupid business move to refuse people wearing a political hat...

Absolutely, this place is known for one of the best burgers in NYC.

If the Yelp rating for "The Happiest Hour" is any indication, this stunt is backfiring BIGLY...

“This bar discriminates against TRUMP supporters. Fine, you’re in the village and 90% of your customers don’t care you discriminate. But guess what….50% of your potential customers on the internet do!!!” Jeffrey S. wrote on Yelp. “Funny, it’s always the liberals discriminating nowadays.”

The Happiest Hour - 139 Photos & 327 Reviews - Yelp

I don't think it's backfiring - those are reviews by people who read the story but who don't live in the area and never heard of the place. The owner can appeal and have the fake reviews removed.

And the complaintant is trying to maintain that the MAGA hat is part of his religious beliefs. While a bunch of folks may come rushing to his defense and saying their MAGA hats represent a religious belief, it sure wasn't a religious belief when he was kicked out.

Given that he paid and paid a tip, too, the whole thing sounds rather fishy. Who stops and leaves a tip when they're being kicked out?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Publicity or not a bar should not be able to refuse service for a specific hat or because of political affiliation this was America it Starting to look ww2 ish wanna live in that kind of reality?

Men with long hair - - refused service.

Just sayin

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

It IS backfiring, and in a very big because of all the publicity.

Thanks to the asinine behavior of hardcore libs, I think the democrats are done in this country.

Keep on shooting yourselves in the foot dems, Americans are sick of your bull#.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join