It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

banning university outdoor activities [ this is why we are doomed ]

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Did you read this part?

They added that despite requests, "none of the officers have been permitted to see the results of the risk management assessment".

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I walk at the speed of light.
The spring flowers are very pretty.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

This is a perfect example of the nanny state taking over the country.
The school has to protect itself from lawsuits from little Johnnys parents after the tool walled off a cliff.
We can't expect anyone to have personal responsibility.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
You don't have to go to a university to take a hike.
I know this to be a fact.

This is true. Any group of kids can go kayaking down dangerous rapids, or scuba diving, or cave exploring on their own. But when it is a university-run club, there are liabilities that fall directly on the university. I think the university is wise to avoid unnecessary injuries/deaths, and subsequent lawsuits by adding in some trained staff/guides.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Um, yeah. The university is going to curtail the activities of adults? Good luck with that. And why are they concerned with this club. They have another which is far less safe but OK with the administration. My guess is the latter brings in a #load of money though.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Bahahahhaha. Hmm well probably at least 75% of my schooling was spent outside in rivers or on boats, or mountains. We got 4x4, ATV, chainsaw, swift water rescue, forest fire fighter and firearms safety training. They left us alone to survive in the forest overnight, we examined elk carcasses in the snow that had been torn apart by wolves, chainsawed through frozen lakes, went sturgeon fishing on the Fraser river, spent hours at a time in pissing rain soaked in the middle of a river tagging Chinook, ran Seine nets with boats, went white water rafting, Went on a nine mile hike up a mountain and camped.next to a glacial lake for three days, spent a week in Yellowstone in the winter following biologists while they tagged wolves and # and so much more.

My school was the #. And the best part...in a class full of nature lovers, hippies and rednecks not one single sjw was to be found. We used to keep a newspaper clipping up about how schools were becoming too safe...just so we could laugh at how ridiculous those schools were.

School was #ing awesome and that was only like 10 years ago. I feel bad for people in universities and colleges today.
edit on 26/4/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

So just to clarify what we learned this week.

College aged adults cant go outside because its dangerous.

Elementary school 11 year olds should walkout of school and take to the streets to engage in political protests, and when one of those 11 year olds is killed, that tragic but was just the kid exercising his political freedom.

What a great time to be alive!

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

We learned that supervision is key, because when it is lacking, bad things can happen.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

at exactly what age do we allow people to do things unsupervised ?

i know its a trick question

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I don't know, but I went on a white water rafting trip several years ago (when I was in my early 40s), and I was happy to have a guide. If something bad had happened, we would have been up sh*t creek - literally.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Did you read the part where they are only temporarily closing the outdoor clubs until they reorganize them to include a bit more adult supervision? I'm thinking you didn't.

Ummm, since this is taking place at a university, I thought the implicit assumption would be that the members of said clubs would be at the very least legal adults in almost every circumstance?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

So, you never leave your house, hope you never fall or at least have a Life Alert system?

Help! kaylaluv's fallen and she can't get up!

Life is risk. At some point, you have to assume some.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thanks for the hyperbole. It was funny.

If I’m going to climb Mt. Everest, I’d like to have a guide. If I’m going to go through the Amazon jungle, I’d like to have a guide. If I was going skydiving, I’d like to have a guide. Leaving my house? No, Ketsuko, I don’t need a guide.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, like the “legal adults” who die every year at fraternity hazing events. 18 year olds can be just as stupid as 11 year olds sometimes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join