It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

banning university outdoor activities [ this is why we are doomed ]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
after reading this :

source

i had to blink - and check the publication date

i was unable to take it seriously

but - checking other sources - yup - its true

STOP TEH WORLD - I WANT TO GET OFF

but seriously - yup - there are dangers inherant in " outdoor persuits "

but EVERYTHING we do has inherent risks

this iddiocy - so incences mme - i better stop while mmy post is still T&C compliant

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

My bet is some stupid kid fell over on a hike and sued them and won so they can not afford it.
Also the kids are wet.

Heck I do risk assessments every day with people with learning difficulties and I believe in positive risk the reward has to out weigh the risk.
I let some of my dudes do allsorts because the risk is good for them risk is a good thing!.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Chuck Norris ?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Sounds like their budget will be going to crayolas, play-dough, and therapy dogs now.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I know someone who got a blister while hiking, so agree it's a dangerous pursuit.

On a less serious note. Universities have lost the plot in some places. In the UK the government has had to intervene to prevent them becoming no-go zones where challenging situations are banned. But, it's a tiny minority who make the most noise, like a baby crying, and often they seem to set policy.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Did you read the part where they are only temporarily closing the outdoor clubs until they reorganize them to include a bit more adult supervision? I'm thinking you didn't.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The kids were getting jiggy I bet.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Well this is jus freaking stupid. From my early age I was out and about. Then when I reached the young age of 21 I started mapping caves and placing safety harnesses for other to climb in those caves. Maybe safety should be the biggest concern to teach but really though. If that is something someone overlooks so easily then they should not be exploring.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Maybe the school should outsource to a professional for this type of thing. I consider myself a professional in these type of endeavor. I would happily volunteer my free time to teaching others how to do this safely.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

actually - i did - so stop making assumptions about me

further - i actually read the paragraph which states :

current club costs = $20 PA , the new " safe " plan will cost 110 / weekend

thats how these people work , i have seen it first hand

1 - declare activity " unsafe "

2 - introduce new " safe policy " - that comes with massive bill and training requirements - that cannot be relliostically met

3 - only 3 people sign up

4 - declare activity " unviable " due to " lack of interest "

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

On a less serious note. Universities have lost the plot in some places. In the UK the government has had to intervene to prevent them becoming no-go zones where challenging situations are banned. But, it's a tiny minority who make the most noise, like a baby crying, and often they seem to set policy.

Lol!!! You're right there....Listening to the news whilst browsing ATS now and

have just heard that universities are to provide *safe places* for students

consisting of tiny rooms full of cushions and soft toys but to save on

queuing up they are advised to keep the time in down to 10 or so minutes

You couldn't make it up ....makes one wonder how the previous generations ever managed

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   

If this is true than it would appear that the one a day for three days check list is no longer a thing.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
You don't have to go to a university to take a hike.
I know this to be a fact.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I guess the students will now be forced into conducting back alley hiking.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

sorry I am mobile and have no idea who you are speaking to.?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

My bet is some stupid kid fell over on a hike and sued them and won so they can not afford it.
Also the kids are wet.

Heck I do risk assessments every day with people with learning difficulties and I believe in positive risk the reward has to out weigh the risk.
I let some of my dudes do allsorts because the risk is good for them risk is a good thing!.

Blame the parents... not the kids...

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

Blame the parents... not the kids...

How come??

# They are old enough to smoke legally

# they are old enough to drink legally

# they are old enough to have sex legally

# they are old enough to vote legally

# old enough to drive legally

Long past parental control.

TIME TO TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

edit on 26-4-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   
It’s called family education...

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   

This sort of thing is very concerning.

There are, in my opinion, two very normal, natural and healthy ways to move through the universe. One of them is to accept that life comes with risks, and do things anyway, without changing the slightest thing about what you were going to do, taking what licks you get along the way and not caring that they happened in the slightest.

The other healthy response to potential threats, is to prepare yourself as best you can for them, get out in the world, and crush every obstacle presented, using the preparation you made previously as a foundation for handily surviving everything the world throws at you, learning as you gain experience.

But to not do things simply because their are risks involved seems entirely ridiculous. People who drive down my street, are regularly seen to scream round the 90 degree corners of our street, and hammer it down the narrow road at speeds well in excess of the limit, despite the close confines, the presence of consumers and their children on the shopping parade, and the like. Those drivers who do these insane things down this street do not care for the safety of pedestrians in the slightest bit. That does not mean that one should not cross the street. It merely means that either one must be very careful when doing so, or one must simply not mind much what the consequences might be, and get about life as if there are none.

Its the same with these excursions. Its the same with ANYTHING! Every time I visit London, every time I take a train, every time I go to a gig or a festival, there is a chance that something untoward might happen, or I might be caught up in some negative event, a terrorist (UK government sponsored) atrocity perhaps, or a massive accident. A plane could crash onto the festival site, the train I take to London (on the rare chance I get to go) could crash into a station, slaying everyone in the first three carriages, and causing horrific injury to everyone rearward of that. All things are possible. But living in fear is not living, and surviving is not enough.

There is a certain, minimum amount of either courage or willful ignorance, required of every human being, in order that they get about their lives regardless of potential threats to their person. Its not much courage which is required. We are not talking about running into burning buildings, or facing down knife wielding thugs to save a strangers life. We are only talking about the necessary courage to say to oneself "If this be the day I die, let me face the day without fear, with curiosity, with joy, with acceptance. Let those who remain to mourn me say, that despite the fact we live in a dangerous world, I was never afraid to LIVE, rather than just try to survive it".

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   

this is why we are doomed

FFS
This is why we cant have nice things - the Uni is going for control mollycoddling under the guise of protecting the students and the public, what a joke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join