It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child is killed during school walk out against gun violence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Let's not politicize a tragedy. This was a lack of supervision, not a walkout issue. This happens often, it's purely circumstantial during this walkout...

The problem is these walkouts no matter what the reasoning is leads to lack of supervision for children

It’s hard enough to supervise children for field trips, and they are usually planned and made sure to have many supervisors, and are usually in contained areas

These walkouts seem less planned, and allows students to be in open environments where it is hard to keep track of them all

It is inevitable that kids in this situation will be in potentially dangerous situations, and sadly this child died as a result

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
A child is dead because of the walk out, personally I believe the fault lies with the young man who called for the walk outs. David Hogg.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

What part of "walked out of the designated area" did you not understand??? The kid left the area and crossed the road. Not the organizer's fault.

(post by visitedbythem removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Man, that is sad. You're right, these kids should have been watched. There must've been supervision going on since there was a designated area for the walkout and staff should've been making sure no kids were leaving it! If you look at the map, that school neighbors the highway! Map.

Don't watch the kids, what could go wrong?
edit on 22-4-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SilverOwls

originally posted by: Grambler

This is unbelievably sad

As far as I am comncerned, the school and organizers of this walkout should have been responsible for the children

Schools should be concerned with teaching children not encouraging political activism

And now an 11 year old who was supposed to be looked after by this school is dead

Look on the bright side. You got a thread out of it.

Trying to one-up on the worst post of the day?

This is just a sad event all around.
I doubt the kid even had a choice or if he did then felt like he had one.
What all your peers do at that age you join in because you don't want to stick out.

Eta: this was a kid from Parkland Middle School? what are the odds on that?
edit on 22-4-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-4-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Police say 11-year-old Jonathan Benko was taking part in Parkland Middle School's organized walkout when he and a group of students left the designated walkout area. Police say around 10:30 Friday morning, the group crossed Loop 375 then attempted to cross it again. Benko was the last in the group to cross and was struck by a Ford F150.

Benko sustained serious injuries and was taken to UMC where he died

www.kvia.com...

This is unbelievably sad

As far as I am comncerned, the school and organizers of this walkout should have been responsible for the children

Schools should be concerned with teaching children not encouraging political activism

You had me up to there.

And now an 11 year old who was supposed to be looked after by this school is dead

And then you politicized it.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

It is difficult to watch children. Children tend to act impulsively; that's what makes them children. That's also why we place them under heavy supervision in a (supposedly) safe, enclosed environment. During most field trips/sports events, there is a priority among the chaperones: watch the children first, conduct the tour or play the game second. Even then, accidents happen. That's why parents are required to sign waivers before their children can attend.

Of course, a parent assumes when they sign that waiver that their child's safety will be first priority in the mind of the chaperones. That waiver isn't worth the paper it is written on if a chaperone neglects to fulfill a reasonable expectation that the child's safety will be safeguarded.

I have watched a few news reels of these protests. I have seen pretty much chaos in action: children running every which way, screaming slogans, waving signs, and only a scattering presence of adult authority at best. I'm sure the reels were intentionally filmed to show the chaos, but still... the sheer number of clips indicate a serious lack of supervision even considering the bias.

I also have to point out that most field trips have a stated educational benefit for the students involved, be that benefit direct observation of material that coincides with lessons as in a visit to a museum, or the ability to experience direct team competition in the event of a sports trip. I fail to see the educational benefit to staging a protest for a political agenda that includes amending the Constitution. What exactly were these kids supposed to come home with? Certainly not "we played a good game today" or "I got to see the Space Shuttle close up and it was awesome!" At best they could say "we held signs and shouted." That's not what I consider a reasonable reasoning behind a field trip, and certainly, absolutely not worth the life of a single child.

So while I see the argument others make about this being only an accident, I cannot accept it. It was an accident, but it was an easily preventable accident. These protests were based not on a desire to instill team ability, or to drive curiosity or to inspire greatness, but to promote politics. They were obviously understaffed and poorly planned. Thus, the organizers should be held liable for any damages... and since their actions were devoid of educational benefit to their students and supported a personal agenda, they should be held liable individually, and not through the school.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I bet the guy who hit the kid was totally drunk and had a 'Make America great again' bumper sticker on his pickup truck.

... just sayin.

The guy driving the truck is a victim here as well.

according to whom? Theirs no information in the posted article about why the actual incident occurred.

Though, I will say that most people tend to be capable of driving for most of their life, without hitting any little kids...

Unless he git the kid in the sidewalk id say its pretty easy to surmise. Occams razor.

If you wanna dispute me fimd evidence to prove me wrong.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

That is one of the stoopidest things I have seen happening around schools... bordering a major highway. They did it here when they built the new high school. The old one was off the major highway on a side road, with a road for school access only circling around the front. The new school sites right on the side of the busiest commercial section of town, in the direction that the town is growing. Not only does that create a dangerous situation when new drivers are forced to enter heavy traffic right out of the school parking lot, but the cost of the land is more too because it is highly-valued commercial land! We are paying extra to have the school in an unsafe area!

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

When I was a kid in elementary school, our playground bordered the towns main street which was just a two way street but busy enough! I can't remember if it was fenced in or not but now it's a fenced in parking lot and playground is behind the school.

(post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed removed for a manners violation)
(post by notsure1 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

What part of "walked out of the designated area" did you not understand??? The kid left the area and crossed the road. Not the organizer's fault.

What? Of course its the people who are in charge of the kids fault if they lose one? So if your kid walks out of day care is that the kids fault?

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
i'm quite sure physical school campuses and human teachers are on borrowed time thanks to the internet and rising waves of automation that are coming, homeschooling is the future and these walkouts aren't going to help the school system avoid the trend either.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

What? Of course its the people who are in charge of the kids fault if they lose one? So if your kid walks out of day care is that the kids fault?

It's not that easy though. If a kid decides to ditch in the middle of the day most will achieve it. Hell I had to repeat grade 9 because of it.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: notsure1

It's not that easy though. If a kid decides to ditch in the middle of the day most will achieve it. Hell I had to repeat grade 9 because of it.

This kid was 11 thats grade school. Nobody ditches at 11 well unless of course its a scheduled walk out..

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Tragic.

As a parent, I'd go insane if it was my child. God help the individual responsible.

Simply tragic.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The child should have been in a classroom learning how to make a life for himself rather than carrying out a political crusade. This is how our government serves us.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

wtf........ and your wrong unless he was a Hispanic trump voter

www.star-telegram.com...

El Paso police spokesman Darrel Petry said Sunday that the investigation into Jonathan Benko's death continues. But no charges have been filed against Jesus Diaz, the 61-year-old driver who struck Benko as he attempted to walk across a highway on Friday with several other students. Authorities say the sixth-grader and other students had left the designated walkout area to go to a park across the highway from Parkland Middle School. Read more here: www.star-telegram.com...=cpy
so not drunk,no maga bumper sticker he stayed at the scene until cops came after the poor kids decided to play frogger on a highway ,did drive a pick up so ill give ya that one but this has to be one of the more ignorant posts ive seen in my many many years here

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join