It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Artificial Intelligence already self aware?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
you know, any A.I. unit always has an on/off switch...and...it also get's it's power from a "source". it doesn't create it on it's own.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think its about giving the a.i. proper code then interfacing voice and ask it it awareness logic questions

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

We have no clue as to why we're self aware and self conscious so how can we quantify when an A.I. becomes self aware? 

You make some excellent points.

Perhaps we won't have a chance to "quantify" it. Maybe by the time we realize it, it'll be too late.

:
edit on 2018 4 08 by incoserv because: I wanted to.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Beings have self awareness because of a duality. Humans have a spirit and physical person that are connected together, one sees the other which causes self-awareness.
edit on 8-4-2018 by SeekAnswers because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Great phuking post! STAR AND FLAGGED!

We have NO idea just how close we are to a major shift in population due to AI.

I wish we had a crystal ball to know how to prepare, like the machines will.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Thread is interesting accept for the "self-awareness" part. I'm not sure why you threw this in.
The point is computer programs are becoming more and more powerful, pervasive, smarter, controlling, etc..
Now your thread is probably going to be riddled with metaphysics and new age nonsense.

e.g. a poster on page 2 posted:

"Beings have self awareness because of a duality. Humans have a spirit and physical person that are connected together, one sees the other which causes self-awareness."

edit on 8-4-2018 by Deluxe because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2018 by Deluxe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
No. Mimicking self awareness is not self aware in any way (at least not in the way that we know self awareness). Neither is programming something that appears to be self aware. Just because we can program something to take on human characteristics doesn't mean that they exist in the same way. Not saying that it won't get there are some point (our brain is a binary machine after all), but at this point we are just creating thing that appear (under simple observation) to have more magic than it really does.

i.e. - So far everything that appears to be self aware is because we told it to look like that, not because it 'figured it out'.

What????

How in the world do you know this?

We don't know how self awareness or consciousness emerges in us and there's no evidence that it's emergent at all. Some say it's quantum and a fundamental property of the universe. So how can you say self awareness in A.I. would be any different than self awareness in humans?

Tell us the equations that shows us what self awareness is and how it emerges if it emerges. Then tell us why it can't occur in A.I. especially with quantum computers.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
As far as why are we self-aware? The Bible says we are made in God's image right? So that means God must be self-aware, and he made humans self-aware.

God reasoned such when he asked some very simple logical questions to people who don't think he can see them or hear them:

They say: “Jah does not see;
The God of Jacob does not take notice of it.”
 Understand this, you who are unreasoning;
You foolish ones, when will you ever show insight?
The One who made the ear, can he not hear?
The One who formed the eye, can he not see?
The One correcting the nations, can he not reprove?
He is the One who imparts knowledge to people!
- Psalm 94:7-10.

As far as AI being self-aware. You said you think it is. Buy why do you say this? What have you come across to make you have that suspicion? I haven't come across anything to make me think it has achieved self-awareness yet.

But I do believe that behemoths such as Google are hard at work at trying to achieve some sort of awareness in AI. I was thinking about the amazing ability of Google search the other day. It is able to process and answer thousands, perhaps millions of queries in an instant from all around the world. Then I wonder if something with that sort of processing power becomes self-aware there is nothing a human could do to control it. It would become god-like in its thinking and ability beyond what a human is.

You see humans we have a one-tracked brain. We can't listen to 10,000 conversations at once and understand them all. Sometimes we zone out listening to just one person talking.

Anyone who has ever had a belief in God and who prays to him understands he must have the ability to listen to them, while at the same time doing many other things of which we are not aware. And he also is able to listen to the person conversing in the language he knows, and there are thousands of languages.

In that sense I liken the ability of a processing power of something that would be an AI with conscious like Google, to that of God. Obviously his awareness and ability would still be infinity greater.

The Bible also says that Satan accuses all of us. There are stories that say that he touches the finger of every human when they are born. Perhaps claiming them as sinners for himself. Obviously his self-awareness and his thinking ability is also far beyond that of a human's, and could be more likened to that of a sentient AI such as a Google. At that point we will have created a living machine that would be beyond are means or control. Only God and the angels would be thinking at such a high level.

In fact I was just thinking about this the other day. God made the universe and everything in it billions of years ago. If scientists are anywhere near close to their estimation, around 13 billion years or so. And human life was put on earth only a mere few thousand years ago.

If you think about it God's designs and ways of thinking take eternity into account and he is able to wait billions of years for something to come to fruition. And in the meanwhile he is able to take into account everything everywhere. His mind is able to count and name every star that is formed that existed and that will exist. He knows about all of the hundreds of billions of galaxies all with their hundreds of billions of stars, all with their trillions of planets in each galaxy. He oversees everything. And because of his dynamic energy and great power they all exist and are put in their order.

He programs every single insect with instinctive knowledge, and many have knowledge beyond that of a thinking human. He programs all animals, he programs all plants. He knows all things

If you really start to try to delve into the mind of God, which of course it would be impossible to do, you would really understand how much earth is just a very small part of his preoccupations. And while we are just a very small part of it, he already knows where we will be in a billion years. He already has it all arranged in his mind, and what he wants to happen will happen.

I imagine eventually, one day in the distant future, the entire universe will be populate with life, perhaps that started on earth. Of course I don't know. But He knows.

People live very short lives, 70 or 80 years the Bible says. God has already lived eternally into the past. When we look at human history and its misery and suffering we imagine that that is the way it always was and always will be. When you read science fiction, you always see man imaging militant warfare being taken beyond the confines of the earth into all quadrants of the galaxy and in all galaxies of the universe. I have never come across a science fiction writer who has imagined a peaceful and loving existence for the future of the universe. Yet that is what we are told will be.

That rebellion from God's rule has only happened in the recent past, and has been allowed for a short while and will soon be snuffed out, and left as a testament to all future generations.

As far as AI and what we can create and what it can become and all the other things I recall this statement made by God when the people were building the tower of Babel:

Jehovah then said: “Look! They are one people with one language, and this is what they have started to do. Now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be impossible for them. Come! Let us go down there and confuse their language in order that they may not understand one another’s language.”  So Jehovah scattered them from there over the entire face of the earth, and they gradually left off building the city.  That is why it was named Baʹbel, because there Jehovah confused the language of all the earth, and Jehovah scattered them from there over the entire face of the earth. - Genesis 11:6-9.

We have been created not only with minds in the image of God, but with the capacity to do whatever we put our minds to. God himself recognized the fact that if he did not divide humankind by confusing their languages, they would be able to accomplish anything. That is also awe-inspiring at how easy it is for him to come up with complex languages and then go into someones mind and automatically change their thinking pattern so that their vocabulary is changed instantly to another language.

When we calculate complex mathematical formulas we are showing the part of your mind that is godlike. Nuclear science is used by humankind to creature vessels that we can launch into orbit and travel to distant planets, and one day different stars. There is no other need for such high knowledge of mathematics which we have. But we have it. Why? No doubt God has in mind how he wants us to use it one day. Perhaps not today, but perhaps far into the distant future. We plan ahead perhaps days or years. God does not plan, but he foresees all things, even into eternity itself. Has he already not perhaps already pondered all of these things the eternity he spent by himself before he created his son Jesus, and the rest of the universe?

I have much more to say about such pondering, but will leave that to another time perhaps, if I write them down at all. In the end I guess I'm saying

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
we really shouldn't be too concerned about what will happen. God already has it all under control...sorry the last part of my post got cut off I guess.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Great phuking post! STAR AND FLAGGED!

We have NO idea just how close we are to a major shift in population due to AI.

I wish we had a crystal ball to know how to prepare, like the machines will.

Exactly,

People are saying we can just unplug. First off it will be extremely hard to unplug the world from all electricity. Secondly we're in the process of putting in place smart energy grids and what will be an energy internet were intelligent algorithms will control the distribution of electricity.

Here's more from smartgrid.gov

In short, the digital technology that allows for two-way communication between the utility and its customers, and the sensing along the transmission lines is what makes the grid smart. Like the Internet, the Smart Grid will consist of controls, computers, automation, and new technologies and equipment working together, but in this case, these technologies will work with the electrical grid to respond digitally to our quickly changing electric demand.

www.smartgrid.gov...

Here's a video about the energy internet from 2014.

The way it will work is each house or car will be like a power plant where it produces more energy than it consumes. This energy may be distributed to an electric car and extra energy from the electric car may be distributed to a store. Intelligent algorithms will control how this energy is distributed.

The bulk of the energy we use to heat our homes and run our appliances, power our businesses, drive our vehicles and operate every part of the global economy will be generated at near zero marginal cost and be nearly free in the coming decades. That’s already the case for several million early adopters in the European Union who have transformed their homes and businesses into micro power plants to harvest renewable energy onsite. Currently, around 25 percent of the electricity powering Germany comes from renewable energies. By 2020, the country aims to increase that to 35 percent.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

This is already happening in Europe. In this area America needs to be more forward thinking. At the end of the day though, you can't just unplug A.I. That sounds silly even saying it.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: redletter

Heavy deep and wow thorough....dang boy you're good at this

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: redletter

Pray tell how does God have A.I under control?

God does not even have his alleged creation under control aka Man.

Seems to me in any instance where a sentient AI is created, Man will play the part of the creator, or at least be responsible for facilitating the construction of the universe in which any AI will reside aka our interwebs and communications infrastructure.

The concern would be if it ever perceived us as a significant threat but the chances are it would probably facilitate us with a better Zoo than the TPTB do already.

The real challenge would be to merge our own very biological minds with the AI, possibly offering up a form of immortality and allow us to explore the universe and address some of the larger questions that are on the horizon.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Lol no. Algorithms are not self aware. No artificial intelligence is not actually intelligent. Calling the machine learning algorithms they use artificial intelligence is kind of ridiculous.

In an age of ubiquitous computers you'd hope people would at least try to learn even the basics of how they work.... especially before they write nonsense.

But considering how many ridiculous articles appear daily about this it would seem not.

Don't worry the scary computers aren't self aware and they're not coming to get you.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: redletter
As far as why are we self-aware? The Bible says we are made in God's image right? So that means God must be self-aware, and he made humans self-aware.

And it was God who either created AI, or at the very least allowed us to create it, which is basically the same thing.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

What if God is a form of A.I?

Certainly ticks all the boxes like, omnipresent, omnipotent, and invisible.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Certainly ticks all the boxes like, omnipresent, omnipotent, and invisible.

God definitely comes across as a gamer.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: redletter

And it was God who either created AI, or at the very least allowed us to create it, which is basically the same thing.

Yep. God gave us the ability to imagine things like he does. To reason like he does. And he also gave us the tools we need, such as hands and fingers, and communication etc to make what our minds come up with, just like he does.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
I’m interested in what you mean here, can you expand?

What does they way programs operate have to do with determining self awareness?

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The deep state is all artificial intelligence. The deep state includes the mass media, military, law enforcement, vatican and ordinary civilians. They look human but they are not.

Humans are in the matrix created by artificial intelligence. The deep state/AI created its version of Jesus. Jesus is not what we know of him. He is so much more. There are clues in Gnosticism. Humans are capable of so much more than we know. The clues are in quantum mechanics. For example the pineal gland can function as a stargate. The deep state/AI/archons poison our water with flouride to calcify our pineal gland function.

The vatican is AI. AI/Vatican is satanism/sadism. There are clues to this are in the order of Pope Innocent III of massacre of the Cathers.

Jesus is a Super Hero. He is incredibly strong and wise. He is fighting the archons/AI to save us and has worked incredibly hard every day. He is not the deep state Jesus. Jesus has control of the archons energies and has the intelligence of the universe

Jesus is like a Jedi or Captain America. He is amazing.

Lots more info on collective evolution.com

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

AI is fake. It is all just computer programming done by humans. Just propaganda wants to make you think that the computer program is "artificial intelligence" and the reason why.... is..... the enemy wants you to believe that the enemy is not your enemy. The enemy wants to claim no responsibility for their attack. The enemy wants to say "oh well the artificial intelligence did it, not us you see. We are your friends".

When one wants to destroy another and take no responsibility for it they create some straw computer to take the fall. The computer did it.

You are being programmed to obey the computer program and die.

The technetronic warfare Zbigniew wrote about is absolutely real.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join